Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
And many southerners do? How many times do you hear a southerner pronounce something that leaves out a consonant or misprounces the sounds of two vowels strung together (how many times have I heard the word "oil" sound like "ole" or "spoil" sound like "spole"..)... That's proper english? With all due respect to the southerners here, please...

There's a reason why newscasters who hail from the south take vocal lessons to rid themselves of the accent.
I guess my contention is that b/c Southerners have a Southern accent, there seems to be a stereotype that we are also uneducated and lack sophistication. That is what bugs me. There are many Southern accents, and I have my own labels for every one of them, LOL. We have quite a few different accents here in NC alone. Some are more charming than others. Then there is the Savannah accent, wh/ differs a bit from the Charleston accent - and both differ from all the NC accents. Elizabeth Dole is a good example of the Piedmont accent. And, she is a good example of a Southerner who indeed has an accent, but is certainly not uneducated or unsophisticated.

My aggravation comes in when people assume that everyone who has an accent is uneducated, and this equates to the school systems, as well.

I love my Southern accent (wh/ is nearly identical to Elizabeth Dole's). I have made a concentrated effort to "change" the way I pronounce some words, but most of my accent remains local as I have chosen to retain it. I like it. My yankee H likes it, too, and I find people from other regions like it - and find it rather charming.

My point is - do not come here and equate accents w/ education. And for all of you newcomers, believe me, nothing is more grating to the WHOLE WORLD than that Fran Drescher kind of grating Yankee accent (even tho I think Fran is a doll!!!) Of course, she exaggerates her accent, but you get the point. I find it very disingenuous when Nor'easters come here and make fun of my Southern accent when they sometimes screech like a bow drawn across a violin at the wrong angle.

I won't disparage you (but I can do a helluva good Bronx accent imitation, LOL!!!) if you don't equate my accent w/ ignorance.

Our schools here have kids who are local as well as kids who have moved in from other areas. We are getting newcomers as teachers on a monthly basis. We are trying to put together a melting pot here - and as a parent, you will most likely find that schools differ from school to school here. But for heaven's sake, don't just assume that b/c you have "come South," your kids are gonna get an inferior education! And please, do not equate our Southern accents w/ stupidity - and we won't equate yours w/ being an uncouth Yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
Yes I can imagine that as I relocated to Fl, and think where i am the schools are much better, the only thing that I am upset about is the fact that in Fla there is no state income tax, and for my disabled daughter that is a problem, if I had to relocate because of this I would go to NC or SC but I never felt that the NE schools were superior. I know plenty of people who relocated to NC and love the schools and the people are a lot nicer.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Yes I can imagine that as I relocated to Fl, and think where i am the schools are much better, the only thing that I am upset about is the fact that in Fla there is no state income tax, and for my disabled daughter that is a problem, if I had to relocate because of this I would go to NC or SC but I never felt that the NE schools were superior. I know plenty of people who relocated to NC and love the schools and the people are a lot nicer.
How does the lack of state income taxes in Florida affect your disabled daughter? I live in Florida and am curious.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
We moved to NC from CA a year ago. My friend, who has lived here for 20 plus years moved here from CA too. She told me her kids were in private school in CA and when they moved here and went to public school they were still behind. Just goes to show you how good the schools here really are! We have several friends who have also moved here from CA and they have told us the same thing. Now my son and his family are moving here to NC---their biggest reason--for their kids--the education, the family involvement here with the children and their childrens safety. My DIL has done extensive research on the schools here and is so impressed. The student teacher ratio here is so much better then that in CA. Kids get to be kids here..the parents are so involved with the kids activities. Parents get to be parents here--not just money makers!! It's the difference between living and existing in my opinion. I am excited to have my grandchildren moving here and feel very confident about the school system here.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
moderator note:

Quote:
Thread topic is I'm so tired of defending my children's NC's education to other Northerners

reread and stick to it do not answer people posts who are talking about other areas not related to this post or other subjects. Take it either to direct message or how about this START YOUR OWN THREAD. ...wow what a ingenius idea

STICK TO THIS POST TOPIC LINKED HERE

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte