U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM

69 posts, read 162,534 times

Advertisements

Are there any really cool parks anywhere in the Charlotte area? I don't mean with walking trails and a typical playground...I mean the kind with huge slides, tons of swings, rope bridges, hedge mazes, or even real airplanes, train engines or tanks that kids can climb all over. I grew up in California and we had these type of parks all over. Someone told me about the park in cornelius with a "boat in the playground" (off flying jib and harbor light). Well my husband and I drove over there imagining a real boat and all there is is a tiny fake playground boat for kids to climb on...cute but not amazing like I am used to. I'm not looking for a cute little neighborhood park. I want a massive, really awesome park worth driving an hour to get to. Is there anything like that anywhere near here?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,287,820 times
I'm not sure if this fits your description of a "really cool park" ( ) but Freedom Park is one of my absolute favorites here in Charlotte.

It has a huge soccer complex as well as baseball and softball diamonds (I believe it is home to Dilworth Little League). It has a playground with jungle gym equipment (but I think it is mainly geared toward younger children) and many swingsets.

There is also a paved walking trail around a little pond, with access to the greenway. On a warm day, you'll see tons of people around, walking bikes, rollerblading, or walking dogs.

There is also a stage which I imagine has concerts in the warm weather (I haven't lived here yet in warm weather, so I'm not 100% certain about this, but the setting is right!).

In addition, there is a retired train engine (so, full size) that I see the kids climbing all over.

Does this fit the bill for you and your husband?

Freedom Park in Charlotte, NC (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Parks+By+District/Central+District+III/Freedom+.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post
Are there any really cool parks anywhere in the Charlotte area? I don't mean with walking trails and a typical playground...I mean the kind with huge slides, tons of swings, rope bridges, hedge mazes, or even real airplanes, train engines or tanks that kids can climb all over. I grew up in California and we had these type of parks all over. Someone told me about the park in cornelius with a "boat in the playground" (off flying jib and harbor light). Well my husband and I drove over there imagining a real boat and all there is is a tiny fake playground boat for kids to climb on...cute but not amazing like I am used to. I'm not looking for a cute little neighborhood park. I want a massive, really awesome park worth driving an hour to get to. Is there anything like that anywhere near here?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM

69 posts, read 162,534 times
Ya, that sounds like a cool park. We'll go check it out! Thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:09 PM

22,064 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Keep in mind North Carolina has different vision on what a park should offer than where you came from. I think the parks either focus more on outdoor recreation and nature.

My favorite parks are Latta Plantation , Freedom, Lake Norman State Park, Jetton, Ramsey.

Here a list of parks maybe you will find one that somewhat meets your needs
Park and Rec Parks by District (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Parks+By+District/Home.htm - broken link)

Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM

175 posts, read 384,459 times
I love Freedom Park and Francis Beatty Park is FABULOUS!!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM

713 posts, read 1,351,226 times
Freedom Park is by far my favorite. Good description, ctribucher!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM

22,064 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Freedom Park is by far my favorite. Good description, ctribucher!
Yes it was a good description Freedom Park also hosts Freedom in the Park in September. I went last year and had a great time lots of Art and crafts are on display, music, entertainment and food vendors.

They use the amitheater for special events like this as well as some groups use it as a platform their cause.
I think Breast Cancer did it last year

Festival in the Park Video (http://www.festivalinthepark.org/festivalindex.htm - broken link)
Festival in the Park

Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 PM

549 posts, read 1,682,703 times
Eastover park

Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM

316 posts, read 43,001 times
Winston salem has a cool park called - Tanglewood - I know it has a huge train.
Dan Nichols (sp) park has a zoo, train ride, carousel, ining for gold - and petting zoo also a splash area in the summer - They may even have canoing - It is in Salisbury - not too far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte