U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM

570 posts, read 539,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amieb View Post

He works in the Optimist park region.

I have tried looking for apartments in the NODA area, but it seems you get two opposites here in Charlotte:

1) You pay more for safety and proximity, but give up space for a closet.

2) You pay less and get space, but you forfeit safety and cleanliness.

Help!

I assume his job in the Optimist Park area is walking distance from the Blue Line? If so, here's an option. I can't personally vouch for this apartment complex, and the area may not be as hip as NoDa, and only semi-walkable, but the rates seem reasonable, and it appears to have decent ratings. And best of all, it's walking distance to the Tom Hunter Station on the Blue Line It may be worth looking into. https://www.apartments.com/blu-at-no...te-nc/p0rqtct/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 04:54 PM

794 posts, read 626,441 times
If it make you feel any better the most expensive condos and suburbs around uptown are heavily populated with homeless and drug dealers.. You can't walk two blocks around uptown without seeing at least a homeless person, and every gas station has drug dealer..

Old 02-02-2019, 05:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 859,149 times
Eventually you'll get accustomed to the noise and neighbors and you'll learn to ignore them subconsciously.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:50 AM

570 posts, read 539,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
If it make you feel any better the most expensive condos and suburbs around uptown are heavily populated with homeless and drug dealers.. You can't walk two blocks around uptown without seeing at least a homeless person, and every gas station has drug dealer..
So it sounds like Charlotte is becoming the typical American city. I've lived in several U.S. cities and this seems to be a trend throughout the country. Homeless people everywhere. I attribute it to the widening wealth gap. It did not used to be this way. With more and more people being forced into poverty and low-paying jobs, this is to be expected.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
So it sounds like Charlotte is becoming the typical American city. I've lived in several U.S. cities and this seems to be a trend throughout the country. Homeless people everywhere. I attribute it to the widening wealth gap. It did not used to be this way. With more and more people being forced into poverty and low-paying jobs, this is to be expected.
I blame it on people not wanting non-disabled and non-addict homeless demographics working where they work and both political "sides" using political-correctness to hide it along with a lot of other things..

On what you said though: Most cities even in the South East now do the "three times the rent" system for rentals and are sure to filter out people who make less than $20,000.00 a year even in "hoods" and trailer-parks..

There is going to come a time where the US has to either incite the principles of society and civilization or stop waiving it's finger at others while ignoring it's own problems..

Last edited by TJJT; 02-04-2019 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,317,884 times
Quote:
I blame it on people not wanting non-disabled and non-addict homeless demographics working where they work and both political "sides" using political-correctness to hide it along with a lot of other things..

On what you said though: Most cities even in the South East now do the "three times the rent" system for rentals and are sure to filter out people who make less than $20,000.00 a year even in "hoods" and trailer-parks..

There is going to come a time where the US has to either incite the principles of society and civilization or stop waiving it's finger at others while ignoring it's own problems..
There is some truth to this, but a larger driver of homelessness is mental illness and substance abuse. As a nation we do not put nearly enough resources into mental health services (especially inpatient services for those unable to pay) and addiction services. Anyone can go into a hospital emergency room and receive medical treatment for any physical ailment without regard to ability to pay, but there is no equivalent for mental health treatment.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There is some truth to this, but a larger driver of homelessness is mental illness and substance abuse. As a nation we do not put nearly enough resources into mental health services (especially inpatient services for those unable to pay) and addiction services. Anyone can go into a hospital emergency room and receive medical treatment for any physical ailment without regard to ability to pay, but there is no equivalent for mental health treatment.
Agreed, but you have to watch out for fake mental issues like Asperger.. Years ago people just started blaming any personality quirk on it and it basically gave the public a green light to discount anyone remotely different socially..

Old 02-05-2019, 03:34 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,317,884 times
Quote:
Agreed, but you have to watch out for fake mental issues like Asperger.. Years ago people just started blaming any personality quirk on it and it basically gave the public a green light to discount anyone remotely different socially..
Thats not at all what I was referring to.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats not at all what I was referring to.
I understand that. You were talking about non-accessible mental health care for people who will obviously never have thousands of dollars to get diagnoses or meds..

I was stating for the record that there is a movement to purge certain types of people from society by basically denying them access to income, and as a result creating more homeless and dependents. It's made to seem okay as long as you label it with mental illness..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte