U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,624,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
Nobody is more concerned about health issues than me. I know that round a specific part of Huntersville, there have been high levels of some type of optical cancer and in a specific part of Mooresville, the same with thyroid cancer. But, these cases are confined to two small areas and have not been found related cases in Cornelius, Davidson, most of Huntersville, most of Mooresville and other places. I have a very close friend that is the nuclear administration guy that works at the power plant in Huntersville. There is no danger from the water found and all is safe. Believe me, he wouldn't live in Cornelius if there were a hint of danger.
Whether there’s a cancer cluster around Huntersville remains very much TBD despite a few people who post here as if it’s proven - it is not. None of the people sounding alarms here offer any supporting evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Observer
In April 2017, 12 cases of ocular melanoma were known [around Huntersville]. That number has now grown to 18. 4 have died, the first in 2014.

The cases were diagnosed after 2000 in people who lived, worked or spent a substantial amount of time within a 15-mile radius of downtown Huntersville but outside Charlotte.

So 18 known ocular melanoma cases in 19 years around Huntersville.

Ocular melanoma is diagnosed in about 2,000 - 2,500 adults a year, or 5 to 7.5 new cases in 1 million people. Victims are most often men, and odds of getting it increase with age. Huntersville, oddly, flips those statistics. There is no known cause, though incidence is highest among people with lighter skin and blue eyes.

State officials have said the number of cases isn’t unusually high for Huntersville, which has a population of 52,000, or for Mecklenburg County as a whole.

Last edited by Midpack; 02-07-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 01:30 PM

157 posts, read 53,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Whether there’s a cancer cluster around Huntersville remains very much TBD despite a few people who post here as if it’s proven - it is not. None of the people sounding alarms here offer any supporting evidence.
Thanks for the clipping.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM

487 posts, read 655,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You're describing Davidson. Its not cheap.

Not cheap but worth it!

Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM

793 posts, read 629,749 times
Quote:
You're describing Davidson. Its not cheap.
Hands down the best town on Lake Norman; I want some of what the "Cornelius" people are smoking.. Only problem is the word is spreading and you'll see rapid track-housing development within the next ten years.. Say good bye to all the trees and only mild congestion and noise and hello to quarter to half million dollar markets and high taxes and road expansion....

Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,624,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Hands down the best town on Lake Norman; I want some of what the "Cornelius" people are smoking.. Only problem is the word is spreading and you'll see rapid track-housing development within the next ten years.. Say good bye to all the trees and only mild congestion and noise and hello to quarter to half million dollar markets and high taxes and road expansion....
Yep, how "they" manage that is the $64,000 question. It can be done well, and it can be a disaster...

Choosing an established area is probably the only/best hedge against some of it, not all.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:00 PM

5,863 posts, read 7,681,391 times
I think in-town Davidson is pretty much established. There are several more currently rural areas somewhat nearby where developers are trying to piggyback off of "real" Davidson's popularity though

Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 AM

793 posts, read 629,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think in-town Davidson is pretty much established. There are several more currently rural areas somewhat nearby where developers are trying to piggyback off of "real" Davidson's popularity though
Cornelius, Huntersville, and Mooresville have had the planned community boom for decades now. I've lived around the area since '93 and most of those were mostly woods till the early two-thousands.. Davidson is the last survivor. It's a concentrated college style town then a lot of inherited back-road real estate.

Places like the Mt Mourne(basically the chunk between Davidson and Downtown Mooresville) area will quickly convert once all the nepotists sale their inheritance. They will just like the ones from those other areas nearby and Atlanta, NYC etc.. etc..

Old 04-03-2019, 05:58 AM

166 posts, read 66,950 times
Isn't Duke known for letting their coal ash magically breach into the rivers in NC? I wouldn't want to live near one of their coal ash ponds -- one right near "Lake" Norman.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,330,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
Isn't Duke known for letting their coal ash magically breach into the rivers in NC? I wouldn't want to live near one of their coal ash ponds -- one right near "Lake" Norman.
I think theres been one such breach, on the Dan River a couple of years ago. Here is a list of all of Duke's Coal Ash Ponds:

https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/w...-ash-pond-maps

The closest one to Lake Norman is Riverbend, although its downstream from Lake Norman. There's probably one upstream somewhere.

The State has ordered Duke to dig up and remove all of them.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM

4,464 posts, read 2,923,402 times
Quote:
I think theres been one such breach, on the Dan River a couple of years ago. Here is a list of all of Duke's Coal Ash Ponds:

https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/w...-ash-pond-maps

The closest one to Lake Norman is Riverbend, although its downstream from Lake Norman. There's probably one upstream somewhere.

The State has ordered Duke to dig up and remove all of them.
Not to derail the thread, but I remember the Dan River spill in Eden. Danville gets it’s drinking water from the river and the spill caused big problems for quite some time. The city water smelled and tasted terrible. Danville naturally denied that the spill was the cause, but hardly anybody (including myself) believed them since the issue began after the spill. Fortunately, I wasn’t affected much since I’m outside of city limits and on well water.

There were also minor leaks at the H.F. Lee plant in Goldsboro caused by flooding from Hurricanes Matthew and Florence. They weren’t as bad as the Eden spill and didn’t have the same kind of impact, at least as far as drinking water goes.

Either way, I’m just glad they’re finally getting removed.

Last edited by LM117; 04-03-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or