U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM

165 posts, read 58,317 times

Advertisements

I am amazed that the transportation and police departments are so lax on fines for not buying light rail tickets. The first time one is caught without a ticket only a warning is given. The second offense and thereafter, fines are only $50. Similar situation with texting. The fine is probably the lowest in the country. It seems as if the message is, "don't worry about obeying the lay, they won't do much to you if you get caught. It is worth the risk." These agencies need to get serious. I ride the rail regularly and I see many, many young riders never getting tickets and by their looks, it is very unlikely that they have a pass. It was recently announced that thousands of people are not paying and the ridership on the blue line to UNCC is well below expectations and this is part of the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM

1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
I would recommend going to the city's public hearings to have the council hear your viewpoint or writing to those respective departments. Unfortunately I don't think any of us that post here work within the police department, CATS, or city council to change this. I agree that the transit police could write more tickets, but CMPD is understaffed in general compared to most cities our size so they have focused their efforts on organized crime and community intervention.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
If the goal was to maximize fare revenue then there would be gates or turnstiles. But the point of the light rail is to get cars off the road and reduce ozone levels. And you don't know who has a pass and who doesn't. I rarely saw a ticket written during fare checks when I rode between 2010 and 2014, i.e. almost everyone had a ticket or a pass.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 PM

311 posts, read 171,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
I am amazed that the transportation and police departments are so lax on fines for not buying light rail tickets. The first time one is caught without a ticket only a warning is given. The second offense and thereafter, fines are only $50. Similar situation with texting. The fine is probably the lowest in the country. It seems as if the message is, "don't worry about obeying the lay, they won't do much to you if you get caught. It is worth the risk." These agencies need to get serious. I ride the rail regularly and I see many, many young riders never getting tickets and by their looks, it is very unlikely that they have a pass. It was recently announced that thousands of people are not paying and the ridership on the blue line to UNCC is well below expectations and this is part of the problem.
A similar thing happened in D.C. where the penalties for fare evasion were lowered substantially. I'm not sure if it's the same in Charlotte, but in that situation it was because the overwhelming majority of fare evaders were of a particular race and the concept of enforcement was seen as racist.

Regardless of whether that's relevant here or not it's a very poor idea.

If riders aren't paying fares and carrying their weight, someone is paying for them: Joe Taxpayer.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:49 PM

43 posts, read 30,365 times
I wouldn’t worry about it. I think they have figured that the amount of free riders is not worth the enforcement cost, both in people and hardware. So I would say joe taxpayer’s cost is a wash.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:58 PM

311 posts, read 171,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
I wouldn’t worry about it. I think they have figured that the amount of free riders is not worth the enforcement cost, both in people and hardware. So I would say joe taxpayer’s cost is a wash.
"But a review of data shows that few people are nabbed by inspectors, and the $50 fine is among the lowest of the nation’s “proof of payment” light-rail systems."

"Last year, the fare inspectors wrote 4,751 warning citations and 545 state citations."

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...204666499.html

It would be pretty cheap and efficient to simply have an officer walk through 1-2 trains a day handing out $100 fines. Just like a cop could sit at any major intersection and never stop giving out tickets.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:14 AM

1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Quote:
I ride the rail regularly and I see many, many young riders never getting tickets and by their looks, it is very unlikely that they have a pass.
Just as an FYI, all UNCC students ride the light rail free of charge. A fare inspector can ask for their student ID. They pay for it in a fee collected by the university and paid to CATS.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If the goal was to maximize fare revenue then there would be gates or turnstiles. But the point of the light rail is to get cars off the road and reduce ozone levels. And you don't know who has a pass and who doesn't. I rarely saw a ticket written during fare checks when I rode between 2010 and 2014, i.e. almost everyone had a ticket or a pass.
I am restating what I saw on the news. The mentioned the thousands of riders not purchasing tickets. It wasn't my observation. I haven't seen tickers being written either but there again, I don't really see that many checks. The goal "is" to maximize fare revenue. That how they are able to expand and maintain tracks, cars, etc. There should be gates and/or turnstiles. The more income from fares, the more expansion will be in the planning. I don't remember ever hearing about the rail being built to reduce ozone levels, however, I do remember hearing concerns about ridership which results in income. I was surprised that there are no real controls on boarding trains without tickets. With the first offence being simply a warning, why would tourists or anyone for that matter worry about not buying a ticket if they are inclined to be dishonest?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
A similar thing happened in D.C. where the penalties for fare evasion were lowered substantially. I'm not sure if it's the same in Charlotte, but in that situation it was because the overwhelming majority of fare evaders were of a particular race and the concept of enforcement was seen as racist.

Regardless of whether that's relevant here or not it's a very poor idea.

If riders aren't paying fares and carrying their weight, someone is paying for them: Joe Taxpayer.

Agree.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
Quote:
I am restating what I saw on the news. The mentioned the thousands of riders not purchasing tickets. It wasn't my observation. I haven't seen tickers being written either but there again, I don't really see that many checks.
Actually you said: "I ride the rail regularly and I see many, many young riders never getting tickets and by their looks, it is very unlikely that they have a pass."

Quote:
The goal "is" to maximize fare revenue. That how they are able to expand and maintain tracks, cars, etc. There should be gates and/or turnstiles. The more income from fares, the more expansion will be in the planning.
If the goal was to maximize revenue, there would gate gates. The percentage of funding that comes from fares is tiny, and it all goes to operations, not capital costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or