U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:37 AM

876 posts, read 3,485,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You go, Supercharged!!! How 'bout that. People are having difficulty selling property (well, many people are) . . . but you must have done it right!!!! And the neighbors must be a great group of people . . . for your tenants to want to own the condo! Sounds like you made a very wise investment . . . and must be a super landlord, as well.
thanks Ani, i like to think that some things in life I do right, lol.

we'll hopefully extend their contract into the option to buy once their original lease is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
Ani, my comments were for the original poster, at the time of my posting, that was the only post i read!!
Gotcha, Jay! I have to agree - it does seem absurd that anyone from such a high tax region would be complaining about taxes going up here!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
I mean . . . seems to me . . . if anyone should be upset about taxes, it would be the longtime residents (especially those on fixed incomes) who did not anticipate the Charlotte Boom . . . (or UC boom, in case of UC residents) . . . and so are upset about their escalating tax bill.
I'm with Ani. The people who should be and are complaining are those who live in Myers Park in modest houses which are being surrounded by McMansions. I have a friend, a school teacher, who lives in a charming house off of Queens Road. On her street there is probably a tear-down a month followed by a million dollar monstrosity. As these house go up so go her taxes. She told me the other day that she will soon get a "large" raise because of a step up in her credentials; every penny of it will go to the latest tax increase for her 1600 square foot house. Sure she could move and make a pile of money on the lot alone; but she loves her old neighbors, her garden, the way she has decorated her house and her proximity (5 minutes) to her school.

These are the people who should be complaining , not the newcomers who
came here expecting to live like kings.

I feel pretty much the same about some of my friend who left Mecklenburg because of high taxes and now complain about the rising taxes, development and traffic in UC. Did thy think the clock would stand still and Waxhaw would forever be the charming little antique haven it used to be. I too bemoan this loss, but I know that it was inevitable.

Last edited by BarbJ; 07-20-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,589 posts, read 6,689,295 times
Quote:
Gotcha, Jay! I have to agree - it does seem absurd that anyone from such a high tax region would be complaining about taxes going up here!!!
Some of my friends tell me they'd never move to Monroe in Union County due to the higher tax rate I pay compared to the surrounding Union County towns.
One of the reasons I moved there, was having a separate Police Force and a paid Fire department, the kind of services I was used to, coming from NJ. For the extra money I pay, I consider it well worth the cost. I used to live near a town that had a volunteer fire department and that town seem to have a lot more fire damage to homes than my town had. Many times, our fire department would have to come in under a "mutual aid agreement" to assist that town in quelling a large fire. Now, I don't discount the great people who provide volunteer fire service for their communities, I just sleep better knowing that the guys two miles from my house are always good to go. I think I probably save a bit on my homeowners insurance too.! My taxes are a third of what they were on my old house. A similarly-sized house to what I have here, would in NJ, have property taxes 5 to 6 times what I currently pay. Anyone from those high-tax areas of the Northeast should kiss the ground and their tax bills when they get them. I'm amazed that you only get your tax bills once a year here. For most of the Northeastern states, you get a tax bill on a quarterly basis. This is done in part, I think, to lessen the chance of a heart attack to the average tax payer, paying anywhere from $7000 to $18,000 in property taxes on that "average" 2200 sq ft house on 1/4 acre home!

Folks from the Northeast who complain about their taxes going up don't get much sympathy from me. If taxes go up 5% on what I pay here, I'll happily pay them. I'm still better off than the rates going up an average of 7% a year on those outrageous taxes I paid in NJ. What state does anyone know of, that has decreasing taxes? I can't think of one! Can you? My sympathy for increased taxes here, tends to go to elderly folks who have lived here their entire lives and may be living on small, nearly fixed incomes. They are the ones who feel the tax increase the most!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Barb and Em - yep, the people who truly are hurt by the higher taxes are the elderly, those on fixed incomes, and the retirees who have had their financial planning impacted b/c of higher taxes. Barb - I so understand about your friend. She had lived her life in that house and doubtless is thinking about retirement some day - how much the taxes will escalate to by then!!!! - and she had no control over what has happened w/ the teardowns (wh/ I personally find, overall, to be very ostentacious!!!! Just MHO!!!!)

Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 PM

13 posts, read 43,794 times
I live by the fact that grass is not greener on the other side, it is just different grass! Higher taxes with clean city, good road, good schools....lower taxes with urine smells at every corner, trash blowing around and roads you wouldn't drive an ATV on...well, too bad they are not willing to pay for the amenities they are enjoying! They can go home and make room for me!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraye View Post
I live by the fact that grass is not greener on the other side, it is just different grass! Higher taxes with clean city, good road, good schools....lower taxes with urine smells at every corner, trash blowing around and roads you wouldn't drive an ATV on...well, too bad they are not willing to pay for the amenities they are enjoying! They can go home and make room for me!
I think the taxes are fair here, especially on houses. However, some of the "hidden" taxes (such as my sewer costs) are kind of high. When people move here, they typically only know that the taxes will be lower on their house, and don't realize there will be other taxes that may be higher (including taxes on groceries and gas). So you have to look at the whole picture and how it all compares. Plus, for those coming from Florida, there are other taxes associated w/ owning a home (plus insurance costs) that may be much higher there than here. So even if there is no state income tax, there were other taxes that made living there more costly - or in the end, it will even out w/ the taxes here in NC.

Overall, I think our taxes are fair, but I do not like the way our sale tax is allocated in Raleigh. We do not get our fair share back here in Meck, and that bothers me.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,764,806 times
We were getting sucked dry in Ohio. We moved to avoid taxes and selected Ohio. We save $20,000 a year on payroll (city and state) and our property taxes were $5,200 a year. Here in Florida the taxes for this house are $4,200. My insurance is less. My Car ins. is $1,000 more a year. They said due to the illegals. So all in all we are up about $21,000 here in Florida.

Ohio is the 5th highest state for taxes. It takes a lot money to fix the crappy roads and provide money for all the dirty politicians. Good Riddance.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,410,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
We were getting sucked dry in Ohio. We moved to avoid taxes and selected Ohio. We save $20,000 a year on payroll (city and state) and our property taxes were $5,200 a year. Here in Florida the taxes for this house are $4,200. My insurance is less. My Car ins. is $1,000 more a year. They said due to the illegals. So all in all we are up about $21,000 here in Florida.

Ohio is the 5th highest state for taxes. It takes a lot money to fix the crappy roads and provide money for all the dirty politicians. Good Riddance.
It really depends on what rating you're looking at and what kind of taxes. Many states are much worse than Ohio in that regard. Either way, I don't know if your analysis is completely correct considering you don't seem to take in to consideration adjusted incomes and house prices. Florida's taxes are lower (for the most part) because of the tourism industry, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any dirty politicians down that way.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM

63 posts, read 104,257 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Simply put....to improve schools, roads, and public services....money is needed. With the population increasing all these services need to be improved ( a few of them are seriously lagging behind the times). Taxes obviously will go up. They still aren't close to NYC. I just hope that the politicians are fiscally responsible with the increased monies and it goes back into the community and not wasted on ridiculous crap or into the pockets of their backers like NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte