U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times

Advertisements

This thread is 3 years old - and I enjoyed reading over it. However, it was written b/f the 2008 collapse and the housing bubble burst - and tens of thousands of folks lost their jobs . . .

I also noticed that a few posters misread the original post - wh/ was a facetious recitation of what ridiculous statements I was hearing from people who had moved here from very highly taxed areas - and evidently thought taxes are "never raised in the South." hee hee hee

Since I wrote the original post . . . my "hidden" taxes have gone up here in Charlotte - i.e. water and sewer . . . and the cost of gas has gone up (our gas tax is very high in this state) . . . and Duke power is fiddling around w/ a rate hike . . .

In the aftermath of the housing bubble's burst . . . some of my friends who had lost jobs here in Charlotte have found jobs in areas where they formerly lived - so have headed back for jobs, after assessing that housing costs were now more reasonable, taxes notwithstanding. They found that moving here for lower taxes and cheaper housing wasn't much of a solution when they couldn't replace their jobs . . .

It was interesting reading thru/ this thread since it was posted prior to the "economic bust" wh/ occurred later that year . . . but I don't really think state/county/city tax issues are at the forefront of people's minds to the extent that replacing jobs is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 6,084 times
Florida has to have high property taxes to pay for all the police because of all the illegals. The state is a toilet, and I can't wait to leave, anywhere!!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,332,540 times
Default USA population growrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Simply put....to improve schools, roads, and public services....money is needed. With the population increasing all these services need to be improved ( a few of them are seriously lagging behind the times). Taxes obviously will go up. They still aren't close to NYC. I just hope that the politicians are fiscally responsible with the increased monies and it goes back into the community and not wasted on ridiculous crap or into the pockets of their backers like NYC

Poster is right. Increased population means higher taxes to provide educational, transportation and public services because of immigration.

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"... Hispanic and Latino Americans accounted for 48% of the national population growth of 2.9 million between July 1, 2005, and July 1, 2006.[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Immigrants and their U.S.-born descendants are expected to provide most of the U.S. population gains in the decades ahead...."

"The total fertility rate in the United States estimated for 2012 is 1.88 children per woman,[SIZE=3][/SIZE]which is below the replacement fertility rate of approximately 2.1."

Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,411,390 times
Wow! Talk about bringing an old thread back to life.

But taxes are still going up and it won't stop. Got to have all that fancy stuff.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:16 PM

368 posts, read 457,250 times
I'd like to fire this thread up again!!! Most posters are saying the town needs more revenue with the increase in population. Are all the towns across this country that are losing population lowering their taxes? I doubt it.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:28 PM

1,454 posts, read 995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
I'd like to fire this thread up again!!! Most posters are saying the town needs more revenue with the increase in population. Are all the towns across this country that are losing population lowering their taxes? I doubt it.
If you build an infrastructure to support 500,000 people, but your population drops to 250,000 people, the fixed costs of many public expenses still exists and doesn't go away.

Let's break it down to a park: If there is a neighborhood park with 50 houses around it and 25 houses become abandoned, you have 25 houses now to tax to fund the park compared to 50. The costs of watering the grass, police patrolling the park, repairing the playground, trimming trees still exists... but you have less people to spread the tax over. That is the issue in cities that were built for X amount of people but now have X - 15% people living there in 2017.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:39 PM

368 posts, read 457,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
If you build an infrastructure to support 500,000 people, but your population drops to 250,000 people, the fixed costs of many public expenses still exists and doesn't go away.

Let's break it down to a park: If there is a neighborhood park with 50 houses around it and 25 houses become abandoned, you have 25 houses now to tax to fund the park compared to 50. The costs of watering the grass, police patrolling the park, repairing the playground, trimming trees still exists... but you have less people to spread the tax over. That is the issue in cities that were built for X amount of people but now have X - 15% people living there in 2017.
good point. Poor Illinois, i guess they're leaving in droves

Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 PM

3,134 posts, read 804,522 times
Don't understand why everyone is complaining. What news did I miss about taxes going up?

NC Triangle. My property taxes are basically 1%. What more can we ask for?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:28 AM

126 posts, read 63,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Don't understand why everyone is complaining. What news did I miss about taxes going up?

NC Triangle. My property taxes are basically 1%. What more can we ask for?
Look at the date of the thread.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:08 PM

739 posts, read 816,523 times
Yes your taxes go up to pay for roads and such, but where I'm at,not your state, most of my property taxes are school taxes. Really did into what your school district spends money on and you would be surprised Why they are high.I know, I work for a school district, no not a teacher, but a lowly wage slave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte