U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,024,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think you are onto something . . . maybe some people are just going complain when everything is not perfect in the area they decided to move to. Maybe those people are gonna whine no matter where they live!!!
LOL...I used to think it was possible to find the perfect place to live, the perfect church, the perfect job, the perfect neighborhood, etc. But then I came to realize that once I stepped through the door with all my flaws it would no longer be perfect and I probably would be dissatisfied in the end. Hmmm...quite a predicament....What's a gal to do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochiepoo View Post
Oh My Gosh!
I can't believe that any transplants are complaining about high taxes! Especially transplants from NY & NJ. I can say that.. I just purchased in SC. Be there in the Summer- Cant wait, We were paying close to $12,000.00 in a middle upper class area in Long Island New york 25 minutes from Manhattan.
I think all the worries are that the taxes will start to rise and we all will wind up in the same boat,.. come on it will take a while for that!

Ps. Oh I don't like being referred to as a transplant!Even though I am an organ donor... And one more thing, I WILL NOT talk about how WE DID IT BACK HOME! I willl enjoy all the culture I can in my new area.
Oh dear, PoochiePoo. You know you are not a transplant. You are a New Southerner! I think I use the term "transplant" when I am subconsciously being passive aggressive, angry or <shame!> condescending. I do so apologize.

YOU ARE NOT A TRANSPLANT!!! You will be part of our New South family. Forgive me . . . mea culpa.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM

6,989 posts, read 6,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I, too, would pay a toll if I could have a nice, easy drive everyday!!
Be careful what you wish for. Those tie-ups at the toll booth can add to your commute time!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL...I used to think it was possible to find the perfect place to live, the perfect church, the perfect job, the perfect neighborhood, etc. But then I came to realize that once I stepped through the door with all my flaws it would no longer be perfect and I probably would be dissatisfied in the end. Hmmm...quite a predicament....What's a gal to do??
Awwwww - NCyank . . . that was really profound!!!

I'll tell ya what to do . . . hang out w/ Southerners - we revel in our imperfections. We raise eccentricities to status level. We will laud your flaws and make them legend . . . (Read more Pat Conroy!!!)

Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Those tie-ups at the toll booth can add to your commute time!
Shoot, Staywarm, I want one of those cool electronic metro commuter card thingies - what are they called? You just hang them on your visor and drive on thru/ the toll booths. Now ya'll know what I am talking about! What are those cards called???

I vote for those.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Shoot, Staywarm, I want one of those cool electronic metro commuter card thingies - what are they called? You just hang them on your visor and drive on thru/ the toll booths. Now ya'll know what I am talking about! What are those cards called???

I vote for those.
EZ Pass. I had it in New Jersey. What wound up happening was that so many people caught onto the whole EZ Pass idea that those lanes started backing up and you could almost fly through the cash lanes.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,586,248 times
Ani - EZ pass...they'll pro'lly have to change the name of 485 to some pike or another! LOL.

No, no tolls for me. That's why I live south of the border and work headed south!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,589 posts, read 6,689,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
True but we got to change our leaders who want these changes for us as well and not raid the budgets of money that has been appropriated for their departments. That is what happen to the state road improvement budget.

The road improvement budget needs some flexibility instead of using this TIP system to cater to counties that are stressed in their road infrastructure due to growth.

I dont mind paying taxes and knew when I moved to this area the cost of living was going to be higher but I want smart leaders who care about the people and the enviroment that makes this city great.

The deadline is near for newcomers and locals to register to vote April 11th to vote in the primary.

I do think the state needs rules on commercial and residential development in requiring developers to pay for roads and bridge improvement within a mile of their development.
If the state is not going to improve state roads faster give the power and financing to local municipalites to make these changes.

wow you got me on rant lol
Sunny - Thanks for that post! The methods of allocating money for roads in NC may have worked in the early 20th century, but it's not working now! It also doesn't help when those who operate the NC Transportation Dept are either incompetent or have their hands in the till. This affects the Charlotte Metro area's quality of life more than most people imagine. Having a greater say in determining what roads can be built, and where they can be built, is what this area needs. How about road money being determined by "head count" for a change?

If you want things to change, then take Sunny's advice and register to vote. This is one way to effect changes in taxes. If you don't vote, then you'll have no one to blame except yourself, if things are done that you disagree with. If you don't "think and vote", someone else will be doing the thinking for you! A democracy works best, when everyone participates!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 04-08-2008 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-08-2008, 07:12 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,200,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Didn't think of that

As tolls go, I prefer the Ohio Turnpike style as opposed to the ones in Florida or West Virginia. Give me a ticket when I get on and don't bug me again until I get off. I hate Florida's. I don't think you ever get up to the speed limit in Orlando before you reach another toll booth!!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ani - EZ pass...they'll pro'lly have to change the name of 485 to some pike or another! LOL.

No, no tolls for me. That's why I live south of the border and work headed south!
Oh - I can see it now: "NAME THAT PIKE"

"The Inner Outer Southwest to Northeast Pike"

Oh, wait!! NO NO - here in the South, everything has to be named after somebody. They do not even have to be dead! Have you noticed that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte