U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,027,591 times

Advertisements

IMHO the growth alone should pay for the needs as the taxpayer base increases.
Same old story, regardless of what party is in charge.

I blame the city for not making developers pony up for roads and infrastructure, building all the cookie cutter neighborhoods off two lane roads. Government issued the permits and knew what would happen...

I remember an article in the Observer in the late 1970s about planning for a Charlotte beltline around the city.
Here we are in 2008 and it still is not complete.
If my business moved that slow, I would be out of business.

To break it down completely the blame rests with us, a voting people always get the government they deserve and I am ready for some serious change, on all levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 PM

5,547 posts, read 6,657,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh - I can see it now: "NAME THAT PIKE"

"The Inner Outer Southwest to Northeast Pike"

Oh, wait!! NO NO - here in the South, everything has to be named after somebody. They do not even have to be dead! Have you noticed that???
How about the "Ani-Airway" a smooth high-speed road with all native Carolina Species growing on the sides of the road and in the medians. Toll-Free too!!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,962,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

I blame the city for not making developers pony up for roads and infrastructure, building all the cookie cutter neighborhoods off two lane roads. Government issued the permits and knew what would happen...

I remember an article in the Observer in the late 1970s about planning for a Charlotte beltline around the city.
Here we are in 2008 and it still is not complete.
If my business moved that slow, I would be out of business.
Mullman - I soooo agree with you! Developers should have to pony up! And for greenways, as well! Roads, sidewalks, guttering and greenways! They have to do it in other areas of the country! They sure charged enuff for the lots in so many of these subdivisions! They made their $$$$ - they should have had to put something back into the communities . . . that's my feeling.

And the indiscriminate granting of permits . . . I agree . . .what the HE$$ did they think would happen to the roads (and indeed, all infrastructure?)

Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
How about the "Ani-Airway" a smooth high-speed road with all native Carolina Species growing on the sides of the road and in the medians. Toll-Free too!!
No, No - The Emissary Express - straight shot from NJ to NC, LOL. With free Pizza slices at every toll booth.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
EZ Pass. I had it in New Jersey. What wound up happening was that so many people caught onto the whole EZ Pass idea that those lanes started backing up and you could almost fly through the cash lanes.
Brian . . . sounds like the EZ pass got to be the not-so-EZ pass.

Why haven't you contributed to our NAME THAT PIKE contest yet????

Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Didn't think of that

As tolls go, I prefer the Ohio Turnpike style as opposed to the ones in Florida or West Virginia. Give me a ticket when I get on and don't bug me again until I get off. I hate Florida's. I don't think you ever get up to the speed limit in Orlando before you reach another toll booth!!
Agreed - Florida's are aggravating. I think CHI and NJ's work well w/ the EZ passes . . . and not so many toll booths so close together.

I have gotten aggravated in TX, too . . . maybe if you have a pass, it makes it a lot less of a hassle . . .

I mean - I don't want to have to pay tolls, either . . . but when are we gonna get our highways if someone doesn't come up w/ a way to make it happen?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM

782 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Raise the living wages along with the taxes and i will call charlotte home.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,335,275 times
Hey there Ani - I found an old post that I made (on 5-22-06) close to 2 years ago (when there weren't that many people on this site as of yet).

Thought you might enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A poster wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Sorry, couldn't resist the title for the thread.

Haven't seen too much on the forum about Weddington/Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area. I have read up on the cities via the web, sounds like a nice area. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the areas?
My response was:

There has been a lot of growth out that way of late. Many from NY/LI that felt taxed out of their homes in the East have moved out that way (taxes in Union County are some of the lowest around). Weddington is very nice and is known for the million dollar homes while Waxhaw sits a tad further out..and has a bit more of a rural setting to it...but it too is growing rapidly. The downtown district of Waxhaw has a wonderful old main street (with a farmers market to boot). I won't speak of the schools there...since all I know about them has been hearsay. I do not doubt as more people continue to move to Union County that taxes will begin to rise. Many of these areas that everyone seems to be scouting out in and around Charlotte are old areas...where most had very adequate homes with acres and acres of land...alot of the original owners have sold out now to developers...and with that the developers create denser areas (bigger house-less land). Another good example...the Ballantyne area (of Charlotte) which has just exploded with growth over the last couple of years...the whole area (2000 acres) was once a private hunting reserve (owned by a former NC governor).

SO....in another 2 years down the road (if any of us are still on here...or whoever is)...what do you think they will be writing about????

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,003,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I'll tell ya what to do . . . hang out w/ Southerners - we revel in our imperfections. We raise eccentricities to status level. We will laud your flaws and make them legend . . . (Read more Pat Conroy!!!)
I might be able to pull off eccentric. My yankee relatives already think I am weird so I figure I am at least halfway there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

To break it down completely the blame rests with us, a voting people always get the government they deserve and I am ready for some serious change, on all levels.
Agree wholeheartedly!!

Pitchforks and torches at the city gates!!! Anything short of that and they will just name a highway after themselves and run for another term.

(j/king of course....please leave your pitchforks and torches at home when you travel to Uptown)

Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,027,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
please leave your pitchforks and torches at home when you travel to Uptown)
Aw, shucks, I just put mine in the trunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte