U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Hey there Ani - I found an old post that I made (on 5-22-06) close to 2 years ago (when there weren't that many people on this site as of yet).

Thought you might enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A poster wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Sorry, couldn't resist the title for the thread.

Haven't seen too much on the forum about Weddington/Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area. I have read up on the cities via the web, sounds like a nice area. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the areas?
My response was:

There has been a lot of growth out that way of late. Many from NY/LI that felt taxed out of their homes in the East have moved out that way (taxes in Union County are some of the lowest around). Weddington is very nice and is known for the million dollar homes while Waxhaw sits a tad further out..and has a bit more of a rural setting to it...but it too is growing rapidly. The downtown district of Waxhaw has a wonderful old main street (with a farmers market to boot). I won't speak of the schools there...since all I know about them has been hearsay. I do not doubt as more people continue to move to Union County that taxes will begin to rise. Many of these areas that everyone seems to be scouting out in and around Charlotte are old areas...where most had very adequate homes with acres and acres of land...alot of the original owners have sold out now to developers...and with that the developers create denser areas (bigger house-less land). Another good example...the Ballantyne area (of Charlotte) which has just exploded with growth over the last couple of years...the whole area (2000 acres) was once a private hunting reserve (owned by a former NC governor).

SO....in another 2 years down the road (if any of us are still on here...or whoever is)...what do you think they will be writing about????
OH MY!! LTC - That has not even been 2 years quite yet! I don't think I really noticed what was going on in UC until sometime around late 2005 - when a realtor friend of mine showed me pix of some lots she was listing w/ a builder. She was explaining that things were opening up w/ land in UC . . . but I had no clue that so many of the homeowners were from the NE. You had it figured out . . . and you realized WHY they were moving here.

It would be pretty ironic if the taxes in UC actually continue to rise at a rate greater than Meck's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,474,421 times

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
ROFL!!! A legion! I love it! That's as good as the vid clips of the French rioting w/ Free Tibet flags protesting the Olympics being held in China.

Mullman and NCYank - don't put the torches and pitchforks up yet! March on city hall! LOL!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,474,421 times
Has anyone figured out if it is now cheaper to live in Mecklenburg County?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,791,402 times
well on a 350k dollar house in the town of waxhaw new construction its about 3300 a year..we are in unicorporated union county and well we pay 1986 a year or something like that...but its low and yes they did go up after we closed last year when we moved here. but it was like 250 for the year..we left 12k taxes per year in NJ so we dont complain here about taxes, even if we had to eventually pay waxhaw tax its still lower than Mecklenburg as I know a few people and what they pay..

Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,666,718 times
Default berry

Go to bed and get some sleep for our lunch date..hahaha!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Has anyone figured out if it is now cheaper to live in Mecklenburg County?
I haven't. One would have to figure out stuff like water/sewer and garbage pick up along w/ property taxes . . . and I guess . . . personal property taxes . . . and I understand there are different rates for car insurance based on zip code . . . I am not sure what all the different factors would be. . . ???? And then different towns in UC have various mil rates . . . If we had all the criteria - a list - then perhaps we could do a comparison. I would think I have left out something . . .

personal property tax
property tax
car insurance
water/sewer
garbage pick up

What about things like cable TV? Are the rates different in UC than in Meck, cause I thought these contracts are done per municipality or county. Anyone know?

You would to at least note such things as HOA costs . . . I would think. Cause I believe some HOA provide garbage pick up.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:45 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,788,362 times
It's a scam by polticians...more people = more tax revenue...the argument when jurisdictions try to raise taxes when newcomers move in doesn't make sense.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,026,447 times
Quote:
LOL...Perfect!! Now that we are all here....Let's go!!! (Can we stop for lunch along the way....I have high metabolism)

Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,887,348 times
I understand where people are coming from that have lived here for years and seeing the tax hike and complaining..Now the transplants who are complaining is ridiculous especially coming from up north or FL. My friend in Miami who lives in good sized house on an acre is paying over $52K a year in taxes!!! Thats more than some people make in a year just on taxes!!!!!! I'll take my $1800 a year in taxes as that is less than the car insurance I was paying for in Miami per year! WHOOO HOOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte