U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,174,106 times

Advertisements

Faith is supposed to have a "famous" 4th of July celebration. The 1st president Bush attended back in the day (during his presidency in 1992).

Faith is a blip on the map in Rowan county. I work in Rowan county, but I just moved to NC last August, so I can not give 1st hand information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM

529 posts, read 1,801,314 times
We always go to Copperhead Island, which over looks Laky Wylie by the Buster Boyd Bridge and Camp Thunderbird, to watch the boats and fireworks. Very nice.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
My neighbors put on a great show...

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Here is a list I made for last year of fun things that go on in this state
Great places to be in North Carolina for 4th of July
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 PM

444 posts, read 1,489,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
where is camp thunderbird

Camp Thunderbird is across Lake Wylie on the South Carolina side of the bridge at the entrance of River Hills. You can park in the marina parking lot right behind T-bones at the lake.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 AM

622 posts, read 1,583,805 times
I'm not sure if Stowe Gardens is still putting on their 4th of July fireworks and Charlotte symphony event. If so, it was a fabulous time. People came with their picnic suppers (some quite elaborate) and gathered on a grassy knoll surrounding the stage. The symohony performed for about an hour and a half, followed by a spectacular fireworks display. The atmosphere was like a town gathering and everyone intermingled as if we had known each other for quite some time.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,018 times
I might also add that 4th of July is a big deal for us over here in Tega Cay, SC (as it was also the day we became a city). So each year from morning til night there is something going on (from a land parade, to a boat parade, activities at Windjammer Park, and a spectacular fireworks show held at the Tega Cay Golf Course)

Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,097,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
LOL I thought this was an old thread dug up but no one had posted lol
We have not even had Memorial Day yet... hehe

During the day the best place to celebrate is in the small towns that surround Charlotte many of them have fun festivities going on.

In Charlotte
There good firework displays Carowinds, Knights Stadium and on Lake Norman it a great way to end a fun day on the lake watching the display over water.
I guess if you dont have a boat you could see if you could pay to reserve one for that day because the rentals will go fast for that weekend.

If you go to Wilmington the fireworks over USS North Carolina is spectacular.

Just found this regarding Lake Norman small town celebrations.Sounds like the lake or your dock is the best place to be!
Davidson, NC - Official Website

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 AM

543 posts, read 1,633,122 times
So what's the trick with getting in and out of Knights Stadium in a reasonable amount of time? We're going there this year and I expect some traffic but shuttle buses and long lines don't sound like all too much fun.

We were planning on going early and hopefully getting to park in the stadium parking lot. Good plan? How early?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 AM

198 posts, read 565,077 times
Default Knights Stadium for 4th of July

I don't think there's a trick to the traffic situation at Knights Stadium, unfortunately. Last year we planned to arrive close to 1 hour early, and even at that time traffic was backed up on the highway for miles. We parked without too much of a problem (we did not take shuttles), but the stadium was PACKED and we decided to leave after the 7th inning. We weren't the only ones -- it took us over 45 minutes just to get out of the parking lot, and the fireworks hadn't even happened yet. It would have been absolutely atrocious if we'd waited til the end.

So our experience was not favorable -- we had to deal with traffic in both directions; we sat crammed in with thousands of people for the game, and didn't get to see the fireworks anyway.

I know it's a great family attraction for 4th of July, but unfortunately most of the people who attend are not there for the game. That means real baseball fans, who look forward to watching a decent game, are few and far between. The game ends up being 3 hours of complaining kids; thousands of yelling parents; people bumping and kicking you in the packed stands; and long lines at the bathrooms and concessions. It's very difficult to enjoy the game (if that's why you're there).

Disclaimer: we do not have kids, and we were just looking for a great ballgame and some cool fireworks on the 4th of July. This year we'll try to find something much more low-key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte