Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,649 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Cornelius this summer. We have two kids 4 and 8 yrs. Am concerned about Cornelius public school system. We love the Peninsula and would ultimately like to live on the lake. My concern is the getting the kids in good schools. My son will be in pre-k and daughter 3rd grade. Are there any private schools close by? I've heard they're expensive and hard to get into. What is the feedback on elementary schools? Any idea of good pre schools in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 14,279 times
You post is one that is very interesting as we too are trying to relocate, love the Peninsula area (Country Club in particular), but are really struggling with the schools in terms of is this is a good fit for us right now. (assuming we can sell our house where we live BTW!) We have an 8 year old and 5 year old as well and so the schools are a major concern....

If you look at the NC School Report Cards, the Elem and Middle schools are not bad, but the High School (Hopewell) scores are some of the worst you will find. (Algebra II - 46, Geometry 41, Biology 67, Civics 60, History 59!)There are also more crimes in the school compared to other schools (most of the schools are 1 / 100 students, Hopewell is 3/100). The question that I had asked is if The Peninsula area is obviously a very affluent area, how are the schools so bad? I have been told this is because of the way students are bused into the area from outlying areas. I dont understand the impact or process, but even N Meck scores are far better then Hopewell. I dont fully understand the impact moving forward either, others have suggested there will be more schools built so that kids need not be bused in, but not sure if there is a time frame on that and or the impact. As you mention, we also looked at the private schools, as well as the charters (sounds like lottery picks on this one). The private schools are pretty expensive if you can get in, but I was told there are some good ones. (we cant afford 25-30K a year to send to kids to school every year so that is not an option for us)

Anyway -while waiting to sell our house we have taken the time (unwanted as it is) to explore other areas, specifically the S Charlotte area. There appear to be some very good schools, and since we are not water people, perhaps we can get a little more for the money in a house as well. I would love to be playing the Peninsula Club on a regular basis and we love the area, but I dont want to play golf at the expense of my kids education. Curious as to what others thoughts are on the "school" issue in Cornelius, and hoping that someone with definitive positive news could respond per the current situtation as we really do love the area! Thanks in advance...

Old 04-14-2008, 06:45 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
For K-5 grade the public schools are pretty desirable. The middle schools are OK once you get into high school things get a little tricky. Bailey High School should be opening up real soon which means the kids in Cornelius will go here and no longer to Hopewell.

Hope this helps some....

Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM

8 posts, read 14,279 times
QC - Thank you for the response, do you happen to know when the new Bailey HS will be finished, and where it would be located? That would be helpful as well....

As a follow up thought, if the problems at Hopewell are due to the busing situation, how do we honestly know that the same thing would not happen at Bailey as well? (I do not know for a fact that the problems are due to busing, just what I have been told thus far)

Ideally you would like to see Bailey dedicated to the Peninsula / Cornelius area, but it makes me wonder if the new school will just be a duplicate of Hopewell. The uncertainty is frustrating, the Peninsula development itself is gorgeous, just wish the public school picture would be better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: