Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:42 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's not what Macdawgg is implying. It's the extreme hyperbole about crime in Steele Creek or Charlotte for that matter. It's a fkn city. Cities have a lot of traffic and typically above normal crime. If you can find a city in America with similar demographics/size as Charlotte with a huge delta in crime, so be it. But it probably ranks on par amongst it peer cities say Nashville, Indianapolis, etc, etc..

This person doesn't want to live in Charlotte, fine. But don't erroneously malign the city with skewed stats, misleading photos and information, etc that serve an ulterior motive, which is, to reinforce the notion that the city is "dangerous" and why she should move. Just get the hell on with it, if you don't like living somewhere, leave. Posting crazy misrepresentation about a city on a CITY discussion forum will get you chewed up and spit out. Especially from people who either live/work or lived/worked in the same area (which I have). It's absurd.
I'm glad that you've brought up the nature of the City...

When I was a little boy, I lived in Bayside Queens. As an adult, I lived in Staten Island. I also have close family in Brooklyn; thus does my perspective come from someone familiar with urbanized environments.

The majority of Charlotte is suburban in nature; Steele Creek is not a dense housing tract; it's not a low income neighborhood. Do I believe Sweetbottom's account of criminal activity? Yes. Is her account unacceptable for an area like Steele Creek? Absolutely.

What would be a lot more productive, is for people to draw attention to the issue, such that steps can be taken to lower criminal activity.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:46 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdawgg View Post
My point is living there as long as I have and knowing MANY people in the area they would agree that overall it's a safe place. I don't carry a gun nor have I ever had any encounters in my area that made me feel the need to do so but if your going to knock a place at least get your facts "STRAIGHT".
Steele Creek encompasses a large area spanning several miles; who's to say that her area experiences more criminal activity than does yours?

Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM

334 posts, read 290,416 times
This discussion is rich. Those who deride others for their negative views of Charlotte, citing that crime exists everywhere and that other cities have much worse problems would become VERY upset and "VERY SENSITIVE" if they were robbed or shot in Charlotte (if, in fact they actually LIVED in Charlotte. If they were shot or robbed in Concord or Davidson, the outrage would be enormous).

NDL, I agree with you that a productive conversation would be to draw attention to the problem of crime in Charlotte and discuss steps to be taken to lower criminal activity.

That discussion can't be created and maintained in this forum because many believe that crime is a problem everywhere and would therefore be as productive as discussing the weather. The discussion would require citation of specific examples in specific areas. Heaven forbid.

The best forum for such a discussion would include many administrators of CMPD. What do you think are the chances for assembling CMPD administrators to discuss the problems on a regular basis? Hmmm...?

Zilch.

Offer comparable data to get a greater understanding of crime? LOL.

The day that YOU become just another statistic is when you'll change your tune. Do you want a marble or a cement headstone?

Old 02-17-2019, 01:41 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
This discussion is rich. Those who deride others for their negative views of Charlotte, citing that crime exists everywhere and that other cities have much worse problems would become VERY upset and "VERY SENSITIVE" if they were robbed or shot in Charlotte (if, in fact they actually LIVED in Charlotte. If they were shot or robbed in Concord or Davidson, the outrage would be enormous).

NDL, I agree with you that a productive conversation would be to draw attention to the problem of crime in Charlotte and discuss steps to be taken to lower criminal activity.
I appreciate your post.

Many times, issues on this forum are ignored, when the remedy is simple:

Quote:
The best forum for such a discussion would include many administrators of CMPD. What do you think are the chances for assembling CMPD administrators to discuss the problems on a regular basis?
There is a Steele Creek community forum, in addition to a local Steele Creek community organization. A productive course of action would be to have the community organization meet up with CMPD. There, concerns can be expressed...perhaps CMPD could utilize technology that they already have at their disposal, to mitigate some of the crime concerns that exist in parts of Steele Creek.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Is there a problem with crime in that community? It looks like a nice suburban area to me.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
Quote:
Offer comparable data to get a greater understanding of crime? LOL.
It’s really too bad there isn’t a don’t bother me with the facts, my mind is made up forum for those who prefer heresay and anecdotes to view the world. You and Sweet would be happy there.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Yikes, we are looking at houses in the Charlotte area. I'll be using the search function to scope out bad areas to stay away from.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yikes, we are looking at houses in the Charlotte area. I'll be using the search function to scope out bad areas to stay away from.
Make sure when you do that, you also research the poster to make sure they know what they are talking about.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM

334 posts, read 290,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It’s really too bad there isn’t a don’t bother me with the facts, my mind is made up forum for those who prefer heresay and anecdotes to view the world. You and Sweet would be happy there.

Yes. There really should be such a forum for those who don't follow the news. Broadcast news isn't hearsay. This is the 21st century. (I really didn't have to remind anyone, did I?).

To view the crimes committed in the 28273 zip code and 5 miles of the center of Steele Creek, check this website out:

https://spotcrime.com/mobile/crime/?...603fdceedde5cf

Enter 35.134905, -80.98758
or

1116 South Tryon Street Charlotte NC 28273 (The approximate center of the zip code for Steele Creek)

Over forty assaults and thefts in two weeks. If you join you could get data on the entire year of 2018.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 PM
NDL

Quote:
Yes. There really should be such a forum for those who don't follow the news. Broadcast news isn't hearsay. This is the 21st century. (I really didn't have to remind anyone, did I?).

To view the crimes committed in the 28273 zip code and 5 miles of the center of Steele Creek, check this website out:

https://spotcrime.com/mobile/crime/?...603fdceedde5cf

Enter 35.134905, -80.98758
or

1116 South Tryon Street Charlotte NC 28273 (The approximate center of the zip code for Steele Creek)

Over forty assaults and thefts in two weeks. If you join you could get data on the entire year of 2018.
And again, when you look at that crime map, it shows crime concentrated around the shopping districts, with next to nothing north of 49.

Does anyone know where SB lives?

Therefore, is it any surprise that different posters have different experiences? I bet those living north of 49 experience few, if any, quality of life issues.

If you're a person renting around the intersection of 160/49, there are instances of property crime in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte