U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,123,165 times

Advertisements

Went outside to lock my car and heard around 4 shots go off at really close range it seemed .. ran back inside because i didn’t know where they were coming from and myself and my husband heard 2-3 more go off. Scared our daughter badly as they were loud enough to hear over the tv and with the doors/windows shut. She ran into her room to crying

Anyone else in Steele Creek experiencing these increase crime issues.?? We’re hearing gunshots nearly weekly but this one happen really close to home (1 stoplight from house according to police report) We could hear sirens and stuff not long after and police report said man found shot in his car.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 02-14-2019 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM

155 posts, read 52,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Went outside to lock my car and heard around 4 shots go off at really close range it seemed .. ran back inside because i didn’t know where they were coming from and myself and my husband heard 2-3 more go off. Scared our daughter badly as they were loud enough to hear over the tv and with the doors/windows shut. She ran into her room to crying

Anyone else in Steele Creek experiencing these increase crime issues.?? We’re hearing gunshots nearly weekly but this one happen really close to home (1 stoplight from house according to police report) We could hear sirens and stuff not long after and police report said man found shot in his car.
Location, location. Time to consider getting the hell out of there.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:28 PM

649 posts, read 508,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

In all seriousness, as much as we tear down most of your posts, this is still a scary situation and I'm sorry you and your family had to go through it.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:32 PM

5,858 posts, read 7,675,459 times
Or this one?
https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/...1-171ab2366dc3

It actually says the shooting happened on the interstate which is weird

Old 02-16-2019, 06:06 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,860,923 times
Then move.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 AM

34,499 posts, read 28,703,798 times
If you cannot avoid attacking others, use the ignore function.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 AM

3,445 posts, read 3,122,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
Posts about crime in Charlotte are hilarious?
That's not what Macdawgg is implying. It's the extreme hyperbole about crime in Steele Creek or Charlotte for that matter. It's a fkn city. Cities have a lot of traffic and typically above normal crime. If you can find a city in America with similar demographics/size as Charlotte with a huge delta in crime, so be it. But it probably ranks on par amongst it peer cities say Nashville, Indianapolis, etc, etc..

This person doesn't want to live in Charlotte, fine. But don't erroneously malign the city with skewed stats, misleading photos and information, etc that serve an ulterior motive, which is, to reinforce the notion that the city is "dangerous" and why she should move. Just get the hell on with it, if you don't like living somewhere, leave. Posting crazy misrepresentation about a city on a CITY discussion forum will get you chewed up and spit out. Especially from people who either live/work or lived/worked in the same area (which I have). It's absurd.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM

155 posts, read 52,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's not what Macdawgg is implying. It's the extreme hyperbole about crime in Steele Creek or Charlotte for that matter. It's a fkn city. Cities have a lot of traffic and typically above normal crime. If you can find a city in America with similar demographics/size as Charlotte with a huge delta in crime, so be it. But it probably ranks on par amongst it peer cities say Nashville, Indianapolis, etc, etc..

This person doesn't want to live in Charlotte, fine. But don't erroneously malign the city with skewed stats, misleading photos and information, etc that serve an ulterior motive, which is, to reinforce the notion that the city is "dangerous" and why she should move. Just get the hell on with it, if you don't like living somewhere, leave. Posting crazy misrepresentation about a city on a CITY discussion forum will get you chewed up and spit out. Especially from people who either live/work or lived/worked in the same area (which I have). It's absurd.
Too bad you choose to sugarcoat reality. People should always be concerned with crime and areas that have high crime and low crime rates. When I lived in Miami, the airport had a safety pamphlet to hand out to travelers with the purpose of letting people from other places and countries be aware of areas to avoid if renting a car. There is absolutely nothing wrong with informing the public. People that are used to living in a city or area with very low crime as in the lake communities or south Charlotte (usually) consider places lie Steele Creek as a precarious place in regards to crime and I agree with their making that decision without contradiction. This isn't about Charlotte, it is about finding the Utopian spot within the city. Not that man left. To me a safe place is where I can walk at any hour and feel safe and not have to worry about my back and I usually only carry my gun when I am in New Orleans. That turned out to be a good choice. Steele Creek is safer than many neighborhoods and not as safe as many. It is all relative. Nobody is wrong in their perception when it is based on data.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:07 AM

156 posts, read 62,856 times
Aristotle:

Okay, let's ignore whatever hyperbole exists about Steele Creek. What about the news reports about crime in Steele Creek? (I'll let you decide whether they are frequent or not since we have different tolerance for crime). Are they to be ignored? Should the city put crimes which are potentially life-threatening on the back burner until someone is actually hurt? (Discharging a firearm within city limits --- outside of an approved firing range--- is illegal whether someone is hurt or killed or not).

I believe that many people want to hold onto an idyllic concept of Charlotte, NC as The Land of Milk and Honey simply because where they moved from was much worse than it is in Charlotte (for the time being, anyway). Some folks don't want that concept of Charlotte, NC besmirched because they have financial interests in Charlotte. Others may be in law enforcement and don't want to admit to the the probability that crime is growing and spreading faster in Charlotte than it can deal with it.

Many express the attitude that crime is everywhere, so why complain about it? Worse, others will compare Charlotte's crime problem to Chicago's and extol statistics that illustrate that Charlotte is so much safer than Chicago is. Crime is crime, no matter where one lives, and today YOU may be complacent about crime, but the day that your house gets shot at (as mine was) you'll scream bloody murder. Worse, you may not even have time to call 911 to save your own life.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,622,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
I believe that many people want to hold onto an idyllic concept of Charlotte, NC as The Land of Milk and Honey simply because where they moved from was much worse than it is in Charlotte (for the time being, anyway). Some folks don't want that concept of Charlotte, NC besmirched because they have financial interests in Charlotte. Others may be in law enforcement and don't want to admit to the the probability that crime is growing and spreading faster in Charlotte than it can deal with it.
I’m not sure who is promoting Charlotte as The Land Of Milk and Honey. And jumping to conclusions as to why as well? What does that add to general understanding?

There is NO metro area that’s crime free. Crime statistics on cities and specific neighborhoods are readily available online from dozens of sources. I just took a few minutes to look at Steele Creek along with many other Charlotte neighborhoods. Some are safer, many are more dangerous around Charlotte, or around any metro area for that matter.

You’re welcome to criticize anyone who glosses over actual crime stats. But you should be equally skeptical of someone who repeatedly sounds alarms based on a couple events or anecdotal “evidence.

Unfortunately Sweetbottoms has a long history of hating on Charlotte, not just Steele Creek crime, without offering real objective evidence. Sweetbottoms has also consistently ignored opportunities to offer objective evidence to support her broad claims. First time or casual readers don’t know her history. A common but misguided thought process I know as ‘proof by exception.’ A couple loose examples in a city the size of Charlotte is statistically insignificant. Again, NO metro area is crime free.

If anyone wants to make claims, how about simply offering objective, comparable data to back it up? In this case overall and specific crimes per 100K population...readily available.

Last edited by Midpack; 02-17-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or