U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times

Advertisements

Just rec'd this email from CMPD.

Community Safety in Charlotte: An Editorial Response

The editorial in yesterday’s Charlotte Observer represents another lost opportunity for the public to be responsibly informed about the impact of crime in our community and the work that is always being done to improve our sense of safety. It was void of context, accurate facts or an acknowledgement of any of the examples of work in the hot spots that have recently appeared in its own newspaper. Moreover, the editorial’s singular focus on police as the answer belies the essential roles everyone – including the media – has in addressing crime and safety issues.*

Crime has been and will continue to be a challenge for Charlotte-Mecklenburg as it is for every major city, and no group is more committed to fighting crime than the men and women who work for the CMPD. By way of context, it is appropriate to point out that

Both violent and property crime have dropped each month since the peak in October and November of 2007
Violent crime was down by 7.2% in 2007, the lowest rate since 1980
While property crimes have inched up in recent years, driven largely by auto thefts and, more recently, car break-ins, they are still lower than they were at any time in the previous decade

To be sure, statistics mean little to one who has had their house burglarized or had property stolen from a car. We understand that a reduction in the violent crime rate is little comfort to the person robbed at gunpoint on the street or in a store or to someone whose family member is injured. We know last year’s reduction in the number of homicides provides no explanation for the recent, horrific murders that have occurred.*

But the numbers are important for understanding the impact of crime, identifying trends, targeting resources, developing policy and gauging the results of enforcement, prevention and intervention efforts. And the stories behind the numbers are important for understanding that most violent crime is not random and many property crimes can be prevented.*

The CMPD has been a leader in using analytical methods to identify “hot spots” in which there are concentrations of crime and calls for service. Contrary to what the Observer suggests, working in those areas has been a key part of our policing strategy for many years. They are hot spots because the problems extend well beyond what law enforcement is able to do on its own.**

Fortunately, the residents we work with, while understandably concerned and fearful, share our commitment to fighting crime and developing viable solutions to the range of issues that contribute to crime and disorder problems. It is disappointing that the Observer appears not to give the public enough credit for understanding what is going on. From unsupervised juveniles, drug abuse and insufficient treatment for the mentally ill to housing code violations, overcrowded jails and an overburdened court system, the problems that underlie issues of crime require the full range of local, state and federal resources to address them effectively.**

While it is common for people to have a misunderstanding about a crime or problem in the neighborhood, we work with them, provide information and help calm the fear. In fact, this kind of work is taking place in neighborhoods in every patrol division throughout the city. Recently, officers have been working diligently with residents in Dilworth, Plaza/Midwood, Farm Pond, Peachtree Hills and Windy Ridge, just to name a few. In every case, officers and residents come together to gain clearer understandings and develop plans to address the problems.*

Last year, we made nearly 28,000 arrests and in the first four months of this year, we have made more than 7,500 arrests. Let’s be clear – if we could arrest our way out of the crime problem, we would have done it already. While the CMPD will continue to do everything it can to reduce crime and improve safety, creating a true sense of safety is the shared responsibility of every member of our community.***

Darrel W. Stephens, Chief of Police
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,666,848 times
Default seems

like a copout to me...I want them to tell me that they are doing more then what they have stated. They really downplay the part about arresting people. Also, their statistics mean nothing form 1980 to now considering the population has increased behind any of their measures. I want them to tell me about long term and short term goals besides the arrests..they have no plan!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,052,969 times
We know the police are doing their jobs.
I am more interested in a letter from the local judges on how they are fighting to keep repeat offenders off our streets.

Take this citizen, for example:
Crime in Charlotte, NC (http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/2008/03/burglar-shot-critically-injured-by.html - broken link)

If the judges do not do there jobs, then maybe the taxpayers will.

Last edited by mullman; 04-09-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM

45 posts, read 140,588 times
I received the same one, also this one:

Burglary arrest today in Providence Country Club

Do not reply to this message.
At approximately 1:30 P. M. this afternoon, a burglary occurred at 6211 Providence Country Club Drive. The burglars first broke into the resident's SUV which was parked at Providence Country Club. The burglars took the garage door opener and some bills from the vehicle. The suspects were able to get the victim's address from one of the bills and went to the victim's residence. The burglars then went to the residence and used the victim's garage door opener to gain entry to his house.
The victim meanwhile had reached the first green when he noticed his dog in the yard. Since the victim had not left his dog outside, he went to check on his house and then saw the burglars’ vehicle parked in his driveway with the engine running. The resident could see the burglars in his house. The resident took the keys to the van and went back to the golf course. One of the suspects pursued the victim onto the golf course and confronted the victim while brandishing the flag / pin from the green. The victim was able to fend off the suspect by wielding a golf club.
There were two other suspects who left the residence. An off-duty officer who works for Providence Country Club happened to be passing by and was able to apprehend one suspect on the scene. A second suspect was located in the Longview Community in nearby Union County. A third suspect is still on the loose. He is described as a young black male wearing a red shirt and jeans. He was six feet tall with an athletic build and had short to medium left hair.
Based on the method of operation, we are speculating that these are the same individuals that were committing the series of “garage door opener” burglaries that have been occurring over the last two weeks.
Even though these individuals were apprehended today, we are still cautioning citizens not to leave garage door openers in their cars. Many brands of garage door openers offer smaller remotes that can be attached to a key ring. Also, don’t leave documents with your home address in your car. Of course, state law requires that you have your registration with you so consider placing the registration in a place only known to you or anyone who drives your vehicle.
As always, feel free to contact your community coordinator or myself at rgolding@cmpd.org for more information.
In closing, I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to help us expand this service. We currently have 1600 subscribers. With 137,000 residents in South Division, we need to have thousands more sign up so tell a friend or two to sign up for “notify me” at www.cmpd.org.
Thank you,
Captain R. M. Golding
South Division

Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,052,969 times
So the suspect was brazen enough to actually run down onto the golf course, grab a flag from the green and try and attack the victim? This stuff is getting so ridiculous that you could not make it up.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 8 days ago)

5,604 posts, read 6,695,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
So the suspect was brazen enough to actually run down onto the golf course, grab a flag from the green and try and attack the victim? This stuff is getting so ridiculous that you could not make it up.
mullman - Maybe if a bunch of golfers "clubbed" him to death on the course and made him a permanent "hazard" some of the other more "brazen" suspects would be deterred!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,666,848 times
Default now that is good news

let's again hope they keep them in jail forever!!!

I have to laugh at the comments it is really crazy!!! I saw cops coming out of there today too and I just thought to myself "Oh no another robbery!"

Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM

307 posts, read 629,112 times
Default Just moved here and this stuff is crazy!

Quote:
I just relocated here from Northern VA with my fiance. I love it here and I knew I wanted to come but I really cannot believe the things I read. I signed up for the CMPD alerts and got this email today. I said the same thing you did- "these people are crazy enough to chase someone onto a golf course, it sounds like something out of a movie"

We are living in Huntersville and I thought maybe this area was immune from this stuff but the really crazy thing is I got home today from touring Monteith Park and read about the three suspects who started there and led LE on a chase. Seriously nuts to me..I just hope it doesn't get worse. I really wanted to move here and so far think it's great but some of this crime seems unreal. I lived outside DC and did not hear about crime like this.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM

Hee Hee. I just came back to my computer - read all of your responses and was so surprised to see this second email - concerning the PCC burglary. So I thought - well why didn't I get that email? Checked and sure enuff - there it is.

Truly - I thought this was bound to be a bogus email! But it is an actual email from CMPD.

I agree - this sounds like a scene out of a Pauly Shore movie, you know?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Okay. that is bizarre - I agree. But would you please tell me - what kind of person makes the effort to go back to his house, is wise enuff to take the key out of the burglars' vehicle (I thought that was hilarious) and then just strolls back to play his golf game??? I mean - woudn't you have been going to a neighbor's to borrow a phone if you didn't have your own cell phone w/ you? I mean - what is crazier? That the thief got angry and wanted his keys back and accosted the guy on the golf course . . . or that the man sees a robbery taking place and returns to his golf game? Damn. Am I in an altered universe here or does anyone else find that - uh - weird?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte