U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM

195 posts, read 482,191 times

Advertisements

In some ways Charlotte is behind, in some ways not. The music is behind, but there is always Satelite radio.
You should check out Myers Park. I wouldn't say the people there are behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,662 times
PINK. I'd love to hear your opinions after you return from your investigation. We're from Seaford and are also considering a move to NC.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:42 PM

9 posts, read 19,141 times
hey seaford, oceanside here!!! i grew up in seaford. pretty funny huh? where are you thinking of looking? we just came home. it's really beautiful and we really loved it. i think we're going to do this. going back this tuesday for another look before we put our house up for sale. just nervous of making such a big move with the changes, etc. but the people were so nice and friendly and fun. it's definitly so beautiful to. much nicer looking than new york. no garbage all over the streets, no dirt, smells good and it's very green. i think that all these posters are correct in saying that yes, it's different but if you embrace the south and their ways, you'll be just fine. i hope that's the case with me! wish us luck! plus i met a bunch of new yorkers to!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM

10 posts, read 63,689 times
Moderator cut: removed

Read up, because it is as nice as Myers Park. Same area - close to uptown - best school district - near JCC (we are Jewish, too).

Plenty of Chic New Yorkers, cultured world travelers, and Bankers (CEO of Bank of America has $5mil home in Eastover), and nice families - prices start at $800k for 4 bed.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-17-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: nope, against the TOS

Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 AM

7,107 posts, read 9,705,958 times
Read this ttp://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/104750-jewish-neighborhoods-charlotte-area.html

Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 PM

316 posts, read 288,434 times
I would look at Lake Norman Huntersville, great commute, low crime, laid back atmosphere! Macaulay is a good neighborhood to start with.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 21,829 times
My mother was from NY (Jewish) and we grew up in Miami, then moved to Charlotte. I thought she was going to go nuts. She has passed away, but would absolutely love it today! There is a strong Jewish Community but not necessarily do they live in one area. There everywhere...there everywhere! I have kids that go to school at Ardrey Kell...love it! Just depends what your hot buttons are. You really need someone who understands your concerns and "gets it." feel free to email me...

Old 06-16-2008, 11:47 AM

1,559 posts, read 621,564 times
I moved from NBabylon NY about 13yrs ago. Between Myers Park, & Ardrey Kell, I would definitely take Myers Park. It is a very beautiful section of Charlotte, alot like the North Shore of Long Island (Brookville, Oyster Bay, Cold Spring Harbor etc..) Now as to Jewish communities, I couldn't answer that. The Jewish community is growing, but there are not many here (not like LI), I am catholic at first had a hard time locating a satisfying church when we moved here. Now a few more have been built, and it gets better each year. You will no doubt experience that as well. I live over by Lake Wylie, and I love the lake. Being from LI, the thing I missed the most was the ocean, which is why we choose to live by Lake Wylie. Hope that helps, welcome to Charlotte, it is definitely a culture change, not bad/or good, just different. Takes adjusting. PS-as to the shopping I don't see any differences. Resturants, now theres a difference. Not many mom/pop types. I miss alot of my seafood rest. along the shores of Long Island. Franchises everywhere. I am not sure about Kosher food either, but the supermarkets are getting more diversed too.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:52 AM

280 posts, read 858,532 times
I am not Jewish, but I do know that the neighborhoods surrounding the JCC off of Providence road are packed with Jewish people! You often see the orthodox(? right word) Jews walking home around there.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,861,116 times
I don't believe this link has been posted in this thread, but here's one to a Kosher market/deli. Great babka to be had there! I think my father told me they have it shipped from Brooklyn.

Gleiberman's Kosher Mart & Restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or