Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM

3,847 posts, read 7,929,744 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one noticing this? There were several up in the Concord area maybe a month or less ago, two men killed sitting in the car in Rock Hill two days ago, 3 shot just outside Uptown sitting in a car tonight. 1 dead at the scene. This afternoon we heard gunshots again here in Steele Creek I guess around 10 am. Not long after police, yellow tape and helicopter circling. Car shot up in an apt complex outside my HOA. I have no doubt some of these are drug deals and issues going on but others seem oddly random. It’s been a nearly nightly issue (or weekly I guess).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 03:59 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,278,675 times
There does look to be more homicides than typical this year, almost half of 2018’s total already.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/1-...says/926017539

But murders were down 30% in 2018 vs 2017 - https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ch...2017/897011110

Old 02-28-2019, 11:08 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,926,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdawgg View Post
Well Here we go again-Right Sweets!!
The several in Concord was actually one in the hospital parking lot of CMC-NE. The shooter and the victim knew each other and got into an argument. The shooter also had 4 unrelated charges in Meck county.

https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2019/0...cmc-northeast/

Old 02-28-2019, 12:17 PM
NDL

4,508 posts, read 5,597,726 times
Quote:
Posts like yours are a tough thing to absorb.

Usually, on this forum, when a poster complains about crime, the typical response is something to the effect of: "that's what's to be expected when you live in a City."

I have lived in and around NYC most of my life, and within NYC, certain characteristics of "urban life" are restricted to certain areas. For example: there was a time when an occasional motorist would get shot at, when driving past the Pink Houses on Linden Blvd. I also recall the toolbox of a Local 3 electrician, whose toolbox was hit as work was being performed in Jamaica, Queens.

That's to be expected in certain areas.

In Charlotte, however, crime travels, and when someone remarks about it, a common refrain is something along the lines of "that's what life is like in the City." It's almost as if the complainant is being derided as a hick.

The whole thing is kinda silly.

While calling out random acts of crime is unproductive, one cannot deny that crime travels in Charlotte - sometimes at hours when least expected.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,393,979 times
Quote:
If I hated where I lived as much as Sweets does, I would have moved long ago instead of just endlessly complaining. She loves to lob grenades and disappear. Ridiculous, I wonder how many new readers are misled?

Old 02-28-2019, 02:39 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,071,101 times
Drug deals gone wrong, most likely.

Terrible, but it happens everywhere in different spurts and amounts. It's the blatantly obvious product of the failed war on drugs.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:09 PM
NDL

4,508 posts, read 5,597,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If I hated where I lived as much as Sweets does, I would have moved long ago instead of just endlessly complaining. She loves to lob grenades and disappear. Ridiculous, I wonder how many new readers are misled?
That's fair, in so much as there's no use bringing attention to something, if only for the sake of bringing attention to a matter. In other words, I would have no issue with someone highlighting incidences of crime, if the intention was "how do/can we fix this?" Instead, this seems to be a pattern of calling things out, to no end.

At the other extreme, however, are those who take a blind eye to legitimate issues. You seldom, if ever, hear about an area like Blakeney, or Raintree, or Cottswold, or the Arboretum, in the news. Steele Creek, on the other hand, is no stranger to news outlets.

Last edited by RedZin; 02-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted content.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:17 PM

334 posts, read 303,440 times
Too bad about the shootings on Grandin Road off Morehead. That could be a great area if the dirt bag thugs could be cleared out. It is near downtown and would be wonderful if walkability could eventually be safe. When will people ever become civilized so our cities can be great? What a shame.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I tend to agree. The OP posts so often about crime that I cannot imagine she enjoys her home much.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:00 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,393,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I tend to agree. The OP posts so often about crime that I cannot imagine she enjoys her home much.
It’s my understanding she’s a renter, why stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte