Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcrounderground View Post
"That person" happens to be retired after many years of service at the college.
Well, if you are referring to the poster who insinuated there are gangs at CPCC, and he/she is a former staff member or instructor at CP, then he/she should back up what he/she has to say instead of misleading people. Just my opinion and altho I don't have "many years of service in who knows what capacity at CPCC," I think it is irresponsible to mention gangs and MOONIES, for heaven's sake and make it sound like the campus is rife w/ heroin addicts shooting up in the shadows, car jackers around every corner and inept people who mess up transcripts just for the heck of it.

If it is so bad . .. why did said poster put in "many years of service" in an environment saturated by gangstas?

Last edited by brokensky; 04-14-2008 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
moderator note:
OK you guys share your views please anything that is crime related and involves the police it will be documented with CMPD or news organizations please provide documentation for such claims instead of misleading this thread...back to OP please
Thank You

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Default We have a flagship community college system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Em, we have a great community college system in NC! My understanding is that all CC's are affliliated with the University of North Carolina system. Therefore, yes, all CC credits do transfer.
Actually, the community colleges aren't "affiliated" with the senior institutions. If one plans to take classes at a community college then transfer to a senior institution, the student must be sure that an articulation agreement for a degree program exists between the cc and the institution and research what community college courses will transfer and meet those requirements for the undergrad degree. Students who chose this route are advised to speak to the transfer admissions counselor at the university of choice.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Actually, the community colleges aren't "affiliated" with the senior institutions. If one plans to take classes at a community college then transfer to a senior institution, the student must be sure that an articulation agreement for a degree program exists between the cc and the institution and research what community college courses will transfer and meet those requirements for the undergrad degree. Students who chose this route are advised to speak to the transfer admissions counselor at the university of choice.
Thanks for the clarification Mary I guess "affiliated" with was not the correct word choice. I was just trying to say that the universities and community colleges cooperate in giving credit for work done the majority of the time. CPCC in particular has an excellent reputation and I've never known anyone to take a class there that couldn't get those credits transferred.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,241 times
I know this thread is a few months old, but in case anyone is still interested you can view the crime stats at CPCC here: [url=http://www1.cpcc.edu/college-security/saftey/crime-statistics]Crime Statistics — Central Piedmont Community College[/url]

Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,674 times
Years ago, I worked in the Crime Lab for the CMPD, which is just up the street from the CPCC Main Campus. Many of the forensic chemists actually taught at CPCC and indicated that they were very impressed with the program at CPCC.

I think that you will find similiar "issues" with ANY college campus. I have a recent graduate from NCSU, and at parent orientation, they went to great lengths to inform parents of all the pitfalls and troubles that their "not-yet-fully-formed adult" could stumble into. Their point in being so "graphic" with the possibilities was to let parents know that their students were changing from children to adults, and many of the choices and decisions they make with their first step "out of the nest" so to speak will be "teachable" moments. They advised parents to coach their students to stay on campus (with the campus police), where there stumbles would be handled as a "learning experience." Off campus, they would be treated as fully-grown adults. Four years later, I can tell you that their advice was good. As much as possible, I "stalked" from a distance (yes, I checked those daily away messages to see if they were going to class, sleeping, eating...LOL) Frankly, gangs were the least of my worries. If you ask me - sex and alcohol are the biggest threats to kids away from home for the first time. Especially those who have lived under close supervision, because it seems like to me they feel the need to party all night and day until the first semester grades come out and they get sent home...

Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
My concern with sending a young person to CPCC would not be the crime, gangs or whatever; it would be the quality of the education. Sending them to CPCC would foster very bad study habits because that is the easiest school ever! I attended there for several years to get my International Business Degree (while working 3 jobs at the same time). I maintained an A average because so little was expected of me. My high school education was substancially more difficult and required a lot more effort. (for example, in high school: term papers; from 10th grade forward, we were allowed a maximum of 48 hours to write a thoughtful, 10 page typed term paper, no encylopedias allowed, only reference materials, and this was before computers or even electric typewriters! At CPCC, they gave us 6 weeks to write a research paper; when I wrote what would have been the customary 50-page paper for that amount of time at home, I was heralded as some kind of super-student!) I never felt like I learned anything there. When I tried to switch to a Spanish class, (used to be fluent, but, hadn't spoken it in over 25 years), I was still more advanced after 25 years of not using the language than the most advanced class that they offered. The teacher even told me to drop out and get my money back because it would not be worth my time to continue.

If your student is hoping to transfer to a university, I would be worried that he would not be prepared after attending CPCC. That actually happened to my son who transferred to Keele University in England after 2 years at UNCC. He was completely unprepared for the educational level in England and was even told that his classes wouldn't transfer anyway because it was "an inferior education". The sad part about that is UNCC is a state school and not even a community college!

Old 07-19-2008, 06:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
My dh and I both attended CPCC years ago. They have a dual system where you can get a two year degree or transfer. The subjects are numbered and the subjects numbered with ones and twos transfer to the 4 year colleges and the threes and fours are for CPCC or two year degrees. I would suggest only going one year to CPCC and then transferring on if you are able to get In State status and do that. Before he enters a NC college, you should make sure that his going to school within a year of moving here does not mess with that. I hope that makes sense.

I am sure the advisors at ASU will be happy to help you with these decisions. Everybody should understand that you want to pay as little as possible for education. They will also know how they feel about those coming from the area community colleges. Wilkes Community College has a lot of people transfer to ASU also. If this were my child and he had been accepted to ASU already, I think I would figure out a way to let him start there.

In answer to CPCC, when we went there it was rated as one of the best community colleges in the nation, not just the state. I haven't looked at college ratings lately.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
Default not so fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Sending them to CPCC would foster very bad study habits because that is the easiest school ever! I attended there for several years to get my International Business Degree (while working 3 jobs at the same time).
I really have to take issue here. I am currently at CP working on my 2nd degree there. The education there is top notch. Depending on the program, you don't get the high brow academic experience that you might at Duke or even UNC. However, you get something that you don't get at the higher ed schools. Instructors from the real world, who have experience in the real world, not just academia. I went through the Business degree program and worked with instructors that actually owned their own businesses. I was able to get real world information from people that have gone through what I am now experiencing in my business. I was able to get thousands of dollars of business consulting, marketing expertise and legal advice just for the price of tutition. I had my business plan reviewed by a former Levi Strauss Exec. My marketing plans were reviewed and critiqued by someone from Wray Ward. I can still call up some of my old instructors and ask questions if I need to. Some of the classes were easy, sure, but many kicked my butt. You get out of it, what you put into it. I studied my @ss off.

I'm currently in the culinary program and am working with Chefs that have owned their own restaurants or bakeries or worked in some of the most prestigious clubs in the country. One was an executive chef for Disney. Another was just recognized by the Charlotte O as one of the top 50 culinary gems in Charlotte. From what I have learned from them is a short period of time, I have a solid business plan for my next career. Again, I've studied like mad and practiced my craft. I've been on the Presidents List for the last 3 semesters and I get the same education that someone from Johnson & Wales gets, but for about 1/4 the price. There's no way you can't beat that.

I certainly want my kids to go to a full on undergraduate school. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't an option as I had to start paying bills and rent before the ink on my High School diploma was dry. However, if they came to me and wanted to go to CPCC for whatever reason, I would support them 1000% You get a first class education that you can actually use in the real world.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM

17 posts, read 49,557 times
Default CPCC vs CC near ASU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks for the clarification Mary I guess "affiliated" with was not the correct word choice. I was just trying to say that the universities and community colleges cooperate in giving credit for work done the majority of the time. CPCC in particular has an excellent reputation and I've never known anyone to take a class there that couldn't get those credits transferred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I really have to take issue here. I am currently at CP working on my 2nd degree there. The education there is top notch. Depending on the program, you don't get the high brow academic experience that you might at Duke or even UNC. However, you get something that you don't get at the higher ed schools. Instructors from the real world, who have experience in the real world, not just academia. I went through the Business degree program and worked with instructors that actually owned their own businesses. I was able to get real world information from people that have gone through what I am now experiencing in my business. I was able to get thousands of dollars of business consulting, marketing expertise and legal advice just for the price of tutition. I had my business plan reviewed by a former Levi Strauss Exec. My marketing plans were reviewed and critiqued by someone from Wray Ward. I can still call up some of my old instructors and ask questions if I need to. Some of the classes were easy, sure, but many kicked my butt. You get out of it, what you put into it. I studied my @ss off.

I'm currently in the culinary program and am working with Chefs that have owned their own restaurants or bakeries or worked in some of the most prestigious clubs in the country. One was an executive chef for Disney. Another was just recognized by the Charlotte O as one of the top 50 culinary gems in Charlotte. From what I have learned from them is a short period of time, I have a solid business plan for my next career. Again, I've studied like mad and practiced my craft. I've been on the Presidents List for the last 3 semesters and I get the same education that someone from Johnson & Wales gets, but for about 1/4 the price. There's no way you can't beat that.

I certainly want my kids to go to a full on undergraduate school. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't an option as I had to start paying bills and rent before the ink on my High School diploma was dry. However, if they came to me and wanted to go to CPCC for whatever reason, I would support them 1000% You get a first class education that you can actually use in the real world.
Our college student left WCU and had to go to the CC near WCU to finish up the semester in order to not lose credits. The CC near WCU cooperates with their curriculum offerings to recycle those students in and out of WCU. It is no different at ASU or UNCC or anywhere else.

Our student is now transferred & going to CPCC (there were still lost credits). Catching up has been a little frustrating as the material is just repeating itself under a different name. That said, "A" student after 2nd & 3rd time taking a class, . It has been an expensive and timely lesson for all involved.

CPCC is a good precursor to a 4yr univ. You have to complete the 2yr degree and be sure the 4yr Univ. will transfer from CPCC. The best way to do that is to speak with a counselor at the 4yr school of your choice and then ask them "where is that information on your website just so I can print it out?" This is the only way to be 100% certain you are getting good information from the Univ. We've been on both ends of this and it can be frustrating.

On the suggestion to save on in-state tuition to go to ASU by going to CPCC the first year: All these transfers pre-completing a 2year degree, has cost a bunch in tuition, books, etc. One year at a community college can be hell on your student when they realize the transfer truths. Convince your student to complete a 2yr first.

I hope sharing our local experience has been helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte