Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,277 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what CPCC reputation is like since I am not from the area. My son was accepted to AppState but since we will not be residents of NC for 1 year by the time he is ready to attend, we will have to pay out of state tuition, which is not in our budget right now. We were thinking about sending him to CPCC for one year and then he can enroll at AppState for the following summer semester. He's not thrilled but understands. Any information would be great. We are thinking the Central Campus in Charlotte or the North Campus in Huntersville. We will be living on the east side of Lincolnton. I think the Central Campus will give him more of the feeling he is looking for. Maybe even get an apartment if the price is right to get the "college" experience.
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I was wondering what CPCC reputation is like since I am not from the area. My son was accepted to AppState but since we will not be residents of NC for 1 year by the time he is ready to attend, we will have to pay out of state tuition, which is not in our budget right now. We were thinking about sending him to CPCC for one year and then he can enroll at AppState for the following summer semester. He's not thrilled but understands. Any information would be great. We are thinking the Central Campus in Charlotte or the North Campus in Huntersville. We will be living on the east side of Lincolnton. I think the Central Campus will give him more of the feeling he is looking for. Maybe even get an apartment if the price is right to get the "college" experience.
Thanks for any info.
I cant really comment on its reputation since I dont know anyone who went there and I rarely ask anybody about what college they went to but North Carolina has highly reputatable community college system.

The north campus does not offer full curriculum as the main campus it primary focus is on Public Safety (police, security etc) and
Transportation (auto repair, automotive systems, heavy equipment and transport, and motorsports. Central Piedmont Community College — Central Piedmont Community College
You could contact the school to see what credits will transfer Central Piedmont Community College — Central Piedmont Community College

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
I attended CPCC...it's an awesome school especially for a community college. The central campus feels more like a regular (not community) college and the suburban ones usually offer more things for adults. They also have a lot of online classes. The Levine family (founder and owners of Family Dollar stores) have donated a lot of meny to the campues and one is even named in their honor. Make sure you get something from App State in writing of which credits they will accept.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I attended CPCC...it's an awesome school especially for a community college. The central campus feels more like a regular (not community) college and the suburban ones usually offer more things for adults. They also have a lot of online classes. The Levine family (founder and owners of Family Dollar stores) have donated a lot of meny to the campues and one is even named in their honor. Make sure you get something from App State in writing of which credits they will accept.
Which campus did you attend? He will just be taking the basic core classes and working p/t. I also thought in addition to the cost that it would help him to meet people in our area where we will be moving since he is less the thrilled about leaving his home state and friends.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 AM

120 posts, read 325,251 times
I went to CPCC and second everything groove1 said. A majority of my friends there went on to UNCC or some other 4 year college and have never felt ill prepared. I went there for close to two years and can't say that I had one bad teacher. I also met a lot of people from all over the world and that in itself was an education.
If I were forced to say a negative, it's parking situation was pretty bad. They added a new huge garage but my friends who live in the area say that the beginning of the semester parking is still a nightmare. But I suspect this is the case with most commuter schools. HTH!

Edited to say: I went to the central campus mainly because that's where the science classes are, to my knowledge none of the other campuses offer science classes.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
I went mainly to the west campus near the airport.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Is the campus in Charlotte in a safe area?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:11 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,633 times
Thanks for the info. We will be in a similar situation. Our son (if he attends CPCC) will likely go to the central campus even tho we will be living in Huntersville due to the course offerings as mentioned above by SunnyK.

We toured UNC Charlotte last time we visited and will try to check out CPCC next time we are in the area.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:20 PM

Where are you from in NJ, we live in Hunterdon County. We will tour CPCC when we are in town next time, probably in May. Will your son be starting in Fall 08? Maybe my son can pick your son up on the way to class and they can carpool. How does your son feel about relocating? What does he want to major in? Sorry so many questions, I'm just a little concerned about up rooting my son.and wondering how other parents with older children are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Thanks for the info. We will be in a similar situation. Our son (if he attends CPCC) will likely go to the central campus even tho we will be living in Huntersville due to the course offerings as mentioned above by SunnyK.

We toured UNC Charlotte last time we visited and will try to check out CPCC next time we are in the area.

Last edited by ssd3; 04-10-2008 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Where are you from in NJ. We will tour CPCC when we are in town next time, probably in May. Will your son be starting in Fall 08? Maybe my son can pick your son up on the way to class and they can carpool. How does your son feel about relocating? What does he want to major in? Sorry so many questions, I'm just a little concerned about up rooting my son.and wondering how other parents with older children are doing.
May I offer a suggestion? What some young people are doing who want to go to APP in Boone, but for either academic reasons or financial reasons can't, do is attend the community college up there instead. Perhaps this would be an option for your son? He would be able to live in Boone and be near the University so that he could start getting to know people but attend the Community College for a year until he gets residency. Here is the Caldwell Community College website for you to check out:

Faculty & Staff Resources (http://www.cccti.edu/FacultyStaff/facstaff.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte