U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,934,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Great info, Ani!
I'm sure TheEmissary will find what he's looking for there.
It truly is a shame that so many of the textile mills and furniture manufacturers were forced out. Too bad more people aren't willing to pay for good quality made-in-America products anymore. Everything gets farmed-out to other countries, and then we wonder why the economy is deteriorating!?!
Sorry, off topic....
It's your thread, LOL!!! You can veer off topic if you want!!! And anyway, it is all related - trying to find textiles in our region.

We are gonna have to do a daytrip . . . maybe we should charter a bus, LOL. I think there are a lot of women in the area who might appreciate finding decorator ($150 +/yd) fabrics for pennies on the dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM

5,543 posts, read 6,653,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
WOW! Great info eveyone. I never realized there were so many options in the area. Thanks so much.
Looks like we need to take a road trip too, Ani!

Emissary, are you looking for chenille-type bedspreads? I know Martha Stewart carried a line years ago. As far as affordable bedspreads, NOT comforters, you can go to JCPenney.com, they usually have a good selection of bedspreads that cover the bed all the way to the floor, so you don't need dustruffles.
Also, Amazon.com carries a variety of bedspreads and coverlets.
Is that what you're looking for? Let me know. Maybe I can help.
stmaarten - As soon as I read the word "chenille", which I couldn't remember, I knew you knew about these things! Thank you! Chenille is some sort of cottony-stuff that can have designs and little things "knitted" to it right? The kind of bedspread that goes all the way to the floor is what I have been looking for. I looked for curtains in JC Penny and couldn't find anything I liked, so I never went back there to look for bedspreads. I never thought of looking for bedspreads on amazon.com - I've been faithfully searching that site for a Blu-Ray player -it never occurred to me to look for house stuff there! You can tell my mind (what's left of it) is more attuned to "home theatre" than to "home decor"!

ani - Those bedspreads from the Vermont Country store are pretty much what I've been looking for. You always seem to find the right thing! Thanks a million.!!!

If bedspreads have gotten left behind somewhat, what do all of you do for summer bedding? Do you just put the sheets and a blanket on the bed and throw a lot of pillows on it, like they do on HGTV? I have to have something covering me when I sleep and comforters in the summer are "too much". I probably have enough of them around to provide every penguin in Antarctica with one. As much as some of the bed decoration with all those pillows look so nice on HGTV, they're a pain in the butt, when you have to sleep and have to "dump" them somewhere. I need a maid!

It amazes me sometimes that I knew so little about window treatments, bedding and furniture before I moved. I never gave things like that much thought, but buying a new house sure changes that! I asked my former boss from Colts Neck what I should budget for furniture when I moved down here, and she told me about $10,000. Well, I spent just about that much just on the bedroom furniture. I didn't know I had such expensive tastes, nor that I'd have a bedroom bigger than the whole first floor of my old house. The day before the closing, I looked at the bare master bedroom with its vaulted ceiling and thought it would make a great volleyball court! A sofa and a fireplace in the bedroom? Not in the old place! The best part of my bedroom is the mini home theater with 5.1 Dolby Digital. My opinion, is that every bedroom should have surround sound! Oh well, I'm getting there, slowly but surely!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,538,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's your thread, LOL!!! You can veer off topic if you want!!! And anyway, it is all related - trying to find textiles in our region.

We are gonna have to do a daytrip . . . maybe we should charter a bus, LOL. I think there are a lot of women in the area who might appreciate finding decorator ($150 +/yd) fabrics for pennies on the dollar.
I'm signing up for the daytrip already! I would like to find me some affordable dupioni silks for panels!

Emissary - you are hilarious! And you did say you were a man, right?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I'm signing up for the daytrip already! I would like to find me some affordable dupioni silks for panels!

Emissary - you are hilarious! And you did say you were a man, right?
I'm "XY" all the way!!! My bedroom looks like something Henry the Eighth slept in - if he also had an abnormal interest in 21st century electronics. You should have seen me trying to move the headboard when I had to take the bed apart to paint the bedroom. The headboard is 8 feet tall and probably a "Giant Sequoia" was "sacrificed" to fabricate it! The mattress was harder to move by myself than an old Lincoln Town Car. Decorating is so much fun! I'm thinking of getting a framed picture of a Notre Dame gargoyle to hang above the headboard!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
stmaarten - As soon as I read the word "chenille", which I couldn't remember, I knew you knew about these things! Thank you! Chenille is some sort of cottony-stuff that can have designs and little things "knitted" to it right? The kind of bedspread that goes all the way to the floor is what I have been looking for. I looked for curtains in JC Penny and couldn't find anything I liked, so I never went back there to look for bedspreads. I never thought of looking for bedspreads on amazon.com - I've been faithfully searching that site for a Blu-Ray player -it never occurred to me to look for house stuff there! You can tell my mind (what's left of it) is more attuned to "home theatre" than to "home decor"!

ani - Those bedspreads from the Vermont Country store are pretty much what I've been looking for. You always seem to find the right thing! Thanks a million.!!!

If bedspreads have gotten left behind somewhat, what do all of you do for summer bedding? Do you just put the sheets and a blanket on the bed and throw a lot of pillows on it, like they do on HGTV? I have to have something covering me when I sleep and comforters in the summer are "too much". I probably have enough of them around to provide every penguin in Antarctica with one. As much as some of the bed decoration with all those pillows look so nice on HGTV, they're a pain in the butt, when you have to sleep and have to "dump" them somewhere. I need a maid!

It amazes me sometimes that I knew so little about window treatments, bedding and furniture before I moved. I never gave things like that much thought, but buying a new house sure changes that! I asked my former boss from Colts Neck what I should budget for furniture when I moved down here, and she told me about $10,000. Well, I spent just about that much just on the bedroom furniture. I didn't know I had such expensive tastes, nor that I'd have a bedroom bigger than the whole first floor of my old house. The day before the closing, I looked at the bare master bedroom with its vaulted ceiling and thought it would make a great volleyball court! A sofa and a fireplace in the bedroom? Not in the old place! The best part of my bedroom is the mini home theater with 5.1 Dolby Digital. My opinion, is that every bedroom should have surround sound! Oh well, I'm getting there, slowly but surely!
Em, you are doing a great job! You have taken on so much that you probably have not really thought about in the past. I am very impressed.

Just take it one step at a time. Sounds like you are making wonderful progress.

As for summer bedding . . . there are many ways to go. A lot of people do like the "spa" look w/ sheets and a comforter or coverlet . . . either as a spread or folded at the foot of the bed, European style. You might consider a down comforter to use year round. You can also put a duvet on the comforter to keep it clean.

We all need a maid, Em, LOL!!! You are not alone!!!

As for Euro shams or other pillows on your bed, if you go that way, put a bench or ottoman at the foot of your bed and throw the extra pillows there every evening.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Em, you are doing a great job! You have taken on so much that you probably have not really thought about in the past. I am very impressed.

Just take it one step at a time. Sounds like you are making wonderful progress.

As for summer bedding . . . there are many ways to go. A lot of people do like the "spa" look w/ sheets and a comforter or coverlet . . . either as a spread or folded at the foot of the bed, European style. You might consider a down comforter to use year round. You can also put a duvet on the comforter to keep it clean.

We all need a maid, Em, LOL!!! You are not alone!!!

As for Euro shams or other pillows on your bed, if you go that way, put a bench or ottoman at the foot of your bed and throw the extra pillows there every evening.
ani- My friend from Colts Neck took me out shopping and the down comforter and duvet were purchased the first week I was here. That combo would keep me warm if my bed and I were spending the winter on the northern end of Baffin Bay! I took the comforter out of the duvey stored it in the closet and stuck a "Martha Stewart" "foamy" blanket in it a couple of weeks ago. The problem is I end up drenching my pillows if I sleep with something "too heavy" on. Once the weather warms up that down comforter is too much! The Martha Stewart blanket and duvey combo is not warm enough. Maybe a second light blanket would be "just right". I've yet to figure it out. Plus one of my cats loves to sleep between my legs at night, and I end up getting out of the bed in the morning doing a great impression of Ralph Bellamy performing "Sunrise at Campobello"! I need a new body too!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani- My friend from Colts Neck took me out shopping and the down comforter and duvet were purchased the first week I was here. That combo would keep me warm if my bed and I were spending the winter on the northern end of Baffin Bay! I took the comforter out of the duvey stored it in the closet and stuck a "Martha Stewart" "foamy" blanket in it a couple of weeks ago. The problem is I end up drenching my pillows if I sleep with something "too heavy" on. Once the weather warms up that down comforter is too much! The Martha Stewart blanket and duvey combo is not warm enough. Maybe a second light blanket would be "just right". I've yet to figure it out. Plus one of my cats loves to sleep between my legs at night, and I end up getting out of the bed in the morning doing a great impression of Ralph Bellamy performing "Sunrise at Campobello"! I need a new body too!
You need to get an open weave type of cotton blanket. Start there. That is too bad about your comforter - maybe you got one that was not lightweight. They really should feel comfortable in summer or winter. Hmmm. The "foam" type of blanket will not breathe w/ you so will hold in heat and make you sweaty. ICK. So try the openweave 100% cotton type blanket.

Can't help you w/ the new body. If I knew how to find that, I would have gotten myself one three years ago.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,538,686 times
Em - sounds like you are very traditional in your decor tastes (as DH and I are). That being said, I think your hot flashes problem (being that Charlotte weather is more unsteady than a see-saw), I suggest that in addition to the open-weave blanket that Ani had suggested, also get yourself a thin quilt made with cotton batting. Get one of those "real" ones made in Lancaster (PA) county by the Amish/Mennonites, a whole cloth quilt done in white or cream. It has no patchwork whatsoever. The cotton lets your bod breathe, all year, and much like dressing for the winter, your bedding should be in layers, so you could pull up or kick off as you please!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 PM

999 posts, read 4,248,968 times
Quote:

Now there is another shop I have not checked out, StM, on 85 in Gastonia.
OH YES!! I saw the place while I was looking for Mary Jos fabrics.....FABULOUS, it's 2 stores connected a fabric store and a curtain and misc. home stuff store, and GREAT STUFF, they will make the curtains for you from fabric you find there, but I got lucky and found great ready made curtains there, like nothing I had come across before!!
The fabric store (Morris and Daughter's fabrics I think) is attached to Curtains and Company store at 100 Curtain Way Lowell NC 28098 us

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
OH YES!! I saw the place while I was looking for Mary Jos fabrics.....FABULOUS, it's 2 stores connected a fabric store and a curtain and misc. home stuff store, and GREAT STUFF, they will make the curtains for you from fabric you find there, but I got lucky and found great ready made curtains there, like nothing I had come across before!!
The fabric store (Morris and Daughter's fabrics I think) is attached to Curtains and Company store at 100 Curtain Way Lowell NC 28098 us
That's it! thank you so much Joanchris!!!!! I thought it looked great! I am so glad you posted this info . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte