U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,205 times

Advertisements

I'm not thrilled with the ready-made window treatment selection available out there. Having worked in the Interior Design industry for years, I know how overpriced most custom-made treatments can be. So, I'm considering dusting off the 'ole sewing machine to make some top-treatments myself.
I'm looking for a fabric warehouse that sells yards of fabric. I'm particularly interested in Kravet, Scalamandre and Waverly fabric lines. Does anyone have any recommendations?
How about recommendations for wallpaper libraries? Yes! Wallpaper is making a huge comeback.! I'd rather not go to Lowes or HD.
Or should I just buy over the internet?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I'm not thrilled with the ready-made window treatment selection available out there. Having worked in the Interior Design industry for years, I know how overpriced most custom-made treatments can be. So, I'm considering dusting off the 'ole sewing machine to make some top-treatments myself.
I'm looking for a fabric warehouse that sells yards of fabric. I'm particularly interested in Kravet, Scalamandre and Waverly fabric lines. Does anyone have any recommendations?
How about recommendations for wallpaper libraries? Yes! Wallpaper is making a huge comeback.! I'd rather not go to Lowes or HD.
TIA
Someone told me there is a Waverly outlet called The Interior Alternative at the Chester exit off I-77 (Exit 65). Same person also recommended the Salvage Shop in Monroe and Todd's Place in Rock Hill. Also, she mentioned a place in Huntersville, but I don't remember the name. I haven't been to any of these places, yet, myself. If you get there before me, let me know.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
TIA
Ohhhhhh . . . we gotta talk, LOL. Yes, wallpaper is making a come-back and for many of us, historic wallpaper has never been "out." You gotta come see my hand printed french wallpaper in my dining room. Mais oui!!!! Classic 18th C.

Now for Scalamandre . . . no one but the decorators/specifiers carry it here . . . so w/o hiring someone you are out of luck. Same for Kravat. However, I have discovered an OUTLET in SC for Schumacher/Waverly. YES I HAVE. Was on my way to Newberry (now there is a charming little town w/ a very nice Lutheran College) and stumbled upon this manufacturer's outlet!

I can check to see if one of my holes-in-the-wall is still open in Hickory. I used to work w/ them when I did market showrooms back "when" and I also ordered from them while out in KS - would come home and run over there. But I have no idea if they are still open. One of my favorites has now closed down. This particular sewing shop had all sorts of good fabric - top line - short ends and sometimes whole bolts - including Ralph Lauren and all coordinating fabrics. So I will see what I can find out.

Now there is another shop I have not checked out, StM, on 85 in Gastonia. Been meaning to stop there on the way to Blowing Rock but I always have Miss Scarlett, so I never stop.

There is another fabric shop here in CLT that I have used but I suspect you are like me and wanting discounted goods!!! Substantially discounted!

So you won't believe this - I have bought Scalamandre on Ebay! Yes, I have! It is tedious hunting for it but I have gotten some gorgeous stuff - the latest being a darling dragonfly jacquard . . .

We gotta talk - and go shopping!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:11 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
TIA
stmaarten - I confess to also not being "thrilled" with the curtain selections in all of the stores I've been to down here. My curtain "knowledge" could be contained on the head of a pin - and my knowledge of sewing is only slightly less than my skill with "Advanced Differential Equations"! So I don't think I'll be making curtains anytime soon!

As for wallpaper, I've had an ongoing "hate" relationship with it because my father never met a wall, that he didn't think needed wallpaper. You should have seen me washing walls with myriad solutions to remove wallpaper paste, in my old NJ home! Oh the horror and language !

I think that as much as I hate wallpaper, you may be right about it making a comeback. I can see a "Wallpaper Show" on HGTV coming down the pike in a couple of years.

But as a guy, let me pose a question to you! What ever became of bedspreads, like the kind many of us had as kids? I remember turning several of my mother's into car-polishing cloths as a teenager. They seem to have gone the way of Ozzie & Harriet. I checked on the web for some, but nothing appealed to me. Having "comforters" on every bed in the summer justs strikes me as illogical. Do you know of a good source for just simple bedspreads that don't cost an arm and leg? I might have missed a local place or two! Or is this quest for a bedspread a yearning for 60's nostalgia? Sorry I can't help you tho'!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:23 PM

513 posts, read 1,912,767 times
For fabric, you could try Mary Jo's in Gastonia 800-627-9567 (off 85) or Robyn's in Pineville 704-889-4114. I know you can find Waverly at both. And I think I've seen Kravet at Robyn's (I could be wrong - haven't been there in a while). I haven't been to Mary Jo's in years, but I know people who swear by it! For wallpaper, try Allen Funk's in Pineville. They have a huge selection. There are also some decorating stores around that will let you browse through their books - like PJ's Designs in Weddington - on Rt 16/Providence Rd). I was recently in there and they don't pressure you at all - it was great to just spend some time looking through their stuff! Good luck!!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:41 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
Hancock Fabrics in South Blvd sells Waverly. Hobby Lobby in Rock Hill and Matthews also carry Waverly.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 AM

WOW! Great info eveyone. I never realized there were so many options in the area. Thanks so much.
Looks like we need to take a road trip too, Ani!

Emissary, are you looking for chenille-type bedspreads? I know Martha Stewart carried a line years ago. As far as affordable bedspreads, NOT comforters, you can go to JCPenney.com, they usually have a good selection of bedspreads that cover the bed all the way to the floor, so you don't need dustruffles.
Also, Amazon.com carries a variety of bedspreads and coverlets.
Is that what you're looking for? Let me know. Maybe I can help.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 AM

285 posts, read 916,337 times
Default Fabric World

A new Fabric World just opened off S. Tryon across from Ayrsley. I know nothing of name brands, but it was chock full of decorator fabrics. I was looking for clothing fabric so I was out of luck. It might be worth calling them to check on their brands. I definitely thought if I ever need to make window treatments, I'll know where to go!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
StMaartan: I felt you wouldn't mind if I listed a website for anyone looking for traditional bedspreads!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced& iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&a ttribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=bedspread (broken link)

There was, at one time, a textile mill here w/ an outlet that made beautiful traditional cotton hand knotted and chenille type spreads . . . and I am searching for them. Unfortunately, many of our textile mills are no longer in business.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
StMaartan: I felt you wouldn't mind if I listed a website for anyone looking for traditional bedspreads!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced& iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&a ttribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=bedspread (broken link)

There was, at one time, a textile mill here w/ an outlet that made beautiful traditional cotton hand knotted and chenille type spreads . . . and I am searching for them. Unfortunately, many of our textile mills are no longer in business.
Great info, Ani!
I'm sure TheEmissary will find what he's looking for there.
It truly is a shame that so many of the textile mills and furniture manufacturers were forced out. Too bad more people aren't willing to pay for good quality made-in-America products anymore. Everything gets farmed-out to other countries, and then we wonder why the economy is deteriorating!?!
Sorry, off topic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte