U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 07:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
I'd enjoy reading authoritative studies regarding the artificiality of low speed limits in Cornelius (or Charlotte for that matter).

Why not suspend all speed limits in Cornelius?

And stop signs.

And while we're at it, all traffic lights that slow such very important people down? We're all adults. We're courteous and mindful of the rights of others to traverse the roads without danger or hazard. We can negotiate all intersection reasonably and safely.

Let's get rid of all lane markers too while we're at it. Everyone knows enough to drive in a straight line and not cut people off--- especially on I-77.

The last that I heard, an officer who issues a speeding ticket must also show up for court. That's an added expense. The officer appears in court rather than on the street enforcing the law. Surely one cannot believe that police issue speeding tickets to increase revenue for the city.

Not a word in the forum about the traffic stops in CHARLOTTE, Very interesting.

Maybe the flap really is about privilege.
Apparently there was already an official vote to raise this road to 45 MPH, but in a split vote it did not pass - ‘I wasn’t welcomed here’: Sheriff suggests race, privilege drove response to Cornelius traffic operation | Herald Citizen | lakenormanpublications.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 AM

165 posts, read 58,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here...

The Sheriff is absolutely within his right to conduct operations like this but, it sounds like he didn't extend any professional courtesy to Cornelius police and at least make them aware of what his deputies would be doing in their area. If you don't respect people, you probably shouldn't expect them to respect you.

?
This is all you needed to say.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
For McFadden to imply that the negative response to his invasion on Cornelius was racially motivated was insane.
How can he "invade" a place that's under his legal jurisdiction? Such language would seem to lend weight to his claim.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How can he "invade" a place that's under his legal jurisdiction? Such language would seem to lend weight to his claim.
Disagree.

Fortunately, the Lake Norman piece was far better reported on than previous pieces. The Sheriff said that he is exercising his prerogatives as Sheriff, but he also acknowledged that in so doing, he was exercising territorial authority that prior Sheriffs had not exercised. He also acknowledged that he could've done a better job communicating with Cornelius PD.

I say all of this not to fault the Sheriff, but to point to a simple misunderstanding between departments. Obviously Cornelius PD felt that the Sheriff impinged on their territory, hence the meeting.

Sadly, a stroke of diplomacy could've been used by reporting outlets, which could've resolved the rift between departments. Instead, some reporting outlets highlighted the "privilege" comment, which is incendiary.

When are my fellow citizens going to take seriously the matter of race relations in Charlotte? This is a serious matter worthy of consideration, the consequences of which led to a riot in downtown CLT a few summers ago. I am not saying this to scold anyone on the forum, but to highlight my displeasure with those media outlets which act in a way that's incendiary and counterproductive.

Next time I want the full story, I guess I will have to look at Lake Norman's publication.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
I think that the problem was failure to communicate. The Cleveland County sheriff doesn't come into the city of Kings Mountain uninvited. The Gaston County sheriff doesn't come in uninvited. The Gaston County police don't come in uninvited. If they are chasing someone, they call ahead. It's the same state. It's being cooperative and respectful. I expect that there will be no difference now that the chief of police for KMPD is a woman.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:05 AM

29,696 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Disagree.

Fortunately, the Lake Norman piece was far better reported on than previous pieces. The Sheriff said that he is exercising his prerogatives as Sheriff, but he also acknowledged that in so doing, he was exercising territorial authority that prior Sheriffs had not exercised. He also acknowledged that he could've done a better job communicating with Cornelius PD.

I say all of this not to fault the Sheriff, but to point to a simple misunderstanding between departments. Obviously Cornelius PD felt that the Sheriff impinged on their territory, hence the meeting.

Sadly, a stroke of diplomacy could've been used by reporting outlets, which could've resolved the rift between departments. Instead, some reporting outlets highlighted the "privilege" comment, which is incendiary.

When are my fellow citizens going to take seriously the matter of race relations in Charlotte? This is a serious matter worthy of consideration, the consequences of which led to a riot in downtown CLT a few summers ago. I am not saying this to scold anyone on the forum, but to highlight my displeasure with those media outlets which act in a way that's incendiary and counterproductive.

Next time I want the full story, I guess I will have to look at Lake Norman's publication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that the problem was failure to communicate. The Cleveland County sheriff doesn't come into the city of Kings Mountain uninvited. The Gaston County sheriff doesn't come in uninvited. The Gaston County police don't come in uninvited. If they are chasing someone, they call ahead. It's the same state. It's being cooperative and respectful. I expect that there will be no difference now that the chief of police for KMPD is a woman.
Failure to communicate, sure. But an "invasion"? Sounds like Trump talking about the southern border.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:38 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Failure to communicate, sure. But an "invasion"?
Fair point.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:05 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Failure to communicate, sure. But an "invasion"? Sounds like Trump talking about the southern border.
Use of invasion is a bit much, but, really, the sheriff should have called, stated his concerns about speeding, and offered his assistance. Isn't that the way most adults behave? He chose to not be polite and respectful to a police department then shot off his mouth about race. It wasn't about race, it was about disrespect.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 AM

165 posts, read 58,317 times
Quote:
I don't now what "language" you're speaking of, but when a group covertly usurps control of a another group for which there was no deficiency or need for intervention, the act is an "invasion." For example, if a group were making daily work plans and someone from outside specifically stepped in to change the agenda or format for no real, needed, or helpful reason other than to recklessly prove that he/she is higher in rank it is an invasion, despite the position of the invader.

According to The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, "Any intrusion or encroachment; infringement" is considered as an invasion. The Sheriff proved that he is not a professional by not coordinating and/or communicating his sneaky invasion. He is not a leader.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:51 PM

185 posts, read 39,006 times
I would be curious if the gang of deputies were working at "overtime pay"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or