U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 01:59 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,104 posts, read 3,594,472 times

Advertisements

"We all danced around it already -- it's about privilege. It's about privilege, McFadden said at the meeting. It's an African-American sheriff making differences in this city and county. I wasn't welcomed here. I was brought here so you can ask me questions tonight. But I'm still not mad, you know why? Because I have to serve each and every one of you.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/-i...kets/932237702

The 35MPH limit is too low for the area, but I would be embarrassed to raise cain over 21 speeding tickets.

Please tell me there's more to this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 02:29 PM

8,119 posts, read 6,025,405 times
I wonder if there were complaints from local residents about speeding down the road, or a few too many accidents.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM

310 posts, read 169,836 times
Why do we have speeding tickets but also have "reckless driving" ?

If a driver is "speeding" but not driving recklessly, doesn't that indicate that the speeding ticket is a money grab? Whether it's for rich people, poor people, white people, brown people?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,119,602 times
When did the Sheriffs office start handling traffic tickets and what did it cost taxpayers to have 12 Mecklenburg County sheriffs do a traffic check for 2 hours?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,983,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
When did the Sheriffs office start handling traffic tickets and what did it cost taxpayers to have 12 Mecklenburg County sheriffs do a traffic check for 2 hours?
My first speeding ticket ever was from the Lane County Sheriff when I was going about 10 miles over on my way to Eugene, Oregon.. Yep, them Sheriff are also in the money making ticket scheme as well.. I use to live up near that area in Cornelius and it is a dreadful speed trap and I have yet to see hardly anyone who goes the speed limit up on those semi-rural winding long country roads with ridiculous speed limits.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM

156 posts, read 52,985 times
The issue is that McFadden brought his entourage from Charlotte to Cornelius where there is a police department. He did it while the basketball tournament was in force in Charlotte and the sheriff's should have been there. The Peninsula is a generally wealthy, quiet, peaceful area with a main street called Jatton. The speed limit is 35 which should probably be 45 but there have been a couple of fatal accidents. The problem isn't speed as much as it is distractions by texting, etc. It is no worse than any other street with white collar people in the area, or country. There was no need for this precarious new guy to bring his posse up here to prove he is the boss. He is in charge and we expect him to do his job and as such, enforce laws and arrest or ticket those that don't obey them. His problem seems to be racially stemmed which was indicted by his reference to "white privilege." What the hell? Yes, most people here work hard and in return live the good life. Why is that a bad thing with him? There are blacks and Asians living the good life as well. Is he making an effort to be the hero of the criminal indicated by his wanting to turn criminals out to the streets without bond although historically, a huge percentage of those released repeat criminal acts over and over? Is he trying to be a badass by defying ICE? Does he understand that the Charlotte area has a big problem with human trafficking and other illegal immigrant issues? I don't know where this guy comes from, but we should worry about his ability to do things meaningful for the area and all groups of people regardless of race or income and provide security for the upcoming GOP convention next year.

The issue is not about speed limits per se, it is about his going to Cornelius to prove some mindless point which he stated is to defy those of privilege. Bottom line, the Cornelius police department is capable of handling the city of Cornelius with his uncoordinated intruding. Stay in Charlotte McFadden where murder rates haven't been as high as now for a long time. Don't avoid your responsibilities in Charlotte by going to well behaved communities where unannounced reinforcements aren't needed. Crime is crime. He should know that people don't generally have to watch your back or lock your doors or be hesitant to walk down alleys because of those that are privileged. For McFadden to imply that the negative response to his invasion on Cornelius was racially motivated was insane. He did not approach the city council afterwards in a friendly manner and was combative and unprofessional. I know lots of people in Cornelius. The reaction McFadden experienced from the city would have been the same for anyone of any color. Racism isn't an issue in northern Mecklenburg. He needs to depart with the stupid race card trick. His decision was not smart or what people would expect of one in his position. I hope his presence here is short lived. We need dedicated professionals in this growing metropolis.

Last edited by Jewkranian; 03-21-2019 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 01:06 PM

156 posts, read 52,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Why do we have speeding tickets but also have "reckless driving" ?

If a driver is "speeding" but not driving recklessly, doesn't that indicate that the speeding ticket is a money grab? Whether it's for rich people, poor people, white people, brown people?
Speeding tickets are for going to fast in an area where children may be present or approaching traffic possible etc. Reckless driving can be for speeding if one is weaving in and out of traffic, following too close, cutting in on other drivers, etc.

The issue in this case isn't about speeding tickets, it is about the Sheriff's department going to Cornelius without coordinating their trip and doing the job of the local police for no intelligent reason. And as the new sheriff verbally indicated that he did it to show that although he is black, and they didn't want him there (God knows why he said that?) he is going to show those "privileged" people in Cornelius something and he is going to do it in other places. Are we having a race war or something? I suppose he will be handing out cotton candy, bricks, and balloons at the next riot. I am sure that nobody in the city has the b@lls to slap the new sheriff in town on the hand or better still, run him out of town.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:40 PM

537 posts, read 545,053 times
Go the speed limit and don’t worry about it. He’s not the one pressing your accelerator. Apparently you only want him to pull over poor black people?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:15 PM

156 posts, read 62,948 times
So the laws don't apply to the rich?

No matter where you live, east side, west side, south, or north, one is obliged to observe the speed limit. Driving ten miles over the speed limit ISN'T okay even if one is not otherwise driving recklessly. When I arrive at a school zone, I slow down to the posted speed limit. If anyone isn't happy with that, TOUGH.

You got a speeding ticket? You can't be bothered to observe the law? Live somewhere else. The law abiders won't miss you.

And so what if there were traffic stops while ICE was conducting an operation? What is the complaint?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:17 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,104 posts, read 3,594,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
The issue is that McFadden brought his entourage from Charlotte to Cornelius where there is a police department.
I wonder how the Cornelius Police Department feels about the county sheriff operating/overlapping in their jurisdiction.

That said, the 35MPH limit is too low, but the cause and effect nature of the citations shouldn't have warranted the need for him to appear at a community meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Go the speed limit and dont worry about it. Hes not the one pressing your accelerator.
The 35MPH limit is too low along that stretch of road.

Over the past few years, I have noticed the speed limits being lowered in several municipalities; the increase in citation revenue - whether it's a motivation or not - is a factor that cannot be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or