U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 1,368 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have found my future wife. lol. Isn't Love Great. I am from Atlanta, and she is from Michigan, She wants to move closer to her family in North Carolina. Her mother lives in Monroe, North Carolina. I am retired and she works in the Healthcare Industry. I do not have and children and her son's are grown. I need help deciding what parts of North Carolina to look for homes and her employment. I do not mind a commute of 30-40 minutes. We are both kinda home bodies but we do enjoy nice stores, and shopping, clean, quite, private, and safe neighborhoods. I would love a large Range style home with a basement (@ 3000 -3800 sq ft). 4 beds, 3.5 baths in the low 400's range. I do have price flexibility. I would love to have space between houses (very important). Things like schools, swimming pools, and club houses are not really important. I prefer a neighborhood over a sub division unless the houses have space in between. I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations and advice. Thank you so very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:43 AM

653 posts, read 514,798 times
Mint Hill might hit most of your points. You usually get a bit more land out there, and it's a short hop over to Independence/74 and the shops. Check the spots west of Independence off Rt 51 as well. Indian Trail will get you closer to Monroe, but most likely a bit further from the shops you're looking for and if your wife ends up with a job near Uptown, the commute will be a bit longer.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,368 times
Smile Moving to North Carolina for Love.

Thank you so much. I appreciate everything you say...

Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 PM

3,266 posts, read 4,005,500 times
Congrats on falling in love and moving to North Carolina.. I regret that I left.. Now I am stuck in this loveless, cold, barren hellhole they call Colorado.. The women in North Carolina are quite beautiful and I have seen them smile time to time, unlike Colorado where you couldn't even buy a smile. Should have heeded the warnings of Hank Williams Jr.. Never leave Dixie! Never leave Dixie!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:17 PM
NDL

3,122 posts, read 3,609,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor485 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have found my future wife. lol. Isn't Love Great. I am from Atlanta, and she is from Michigan, She wants to move closer to her family in North Carolina. Her mother lives in Monroe, North Carolina. I am retired and she works in the Healthcare Industry. I do not have and children and her son's are grown. I need help deciding what parts of North Carolina to look for homes and her employment. I do not mind a commute of 30-40 minutes. We are both kinda home bodies but we do enjoy nice stores, and shopping, clean, quite, private, and safe neighborhoods. I would love a large Range style home with a basement (@ 3000 -3800 sq ft). 4 beds, 3.5 baths in the low 400's range. I do have price flexibility. I would love to have space between houses (very important). Things like schools, swimming pools, and club houses are not really important. I prefer a neighborhood over a sub division unless the houses have space in between. I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations and advice. Thank you so very much...
Matthews would be a great option for you; Mint Hill as well. The area should provide employment opportunities; shopping; is safe; has a variety of dining, and nice parks.

I wish you well!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Congrats on falling in love and moving to North Carolina.. I regret that I left.. Now I am stuck in this loveless, cold, barren hellhole they call Colorado.. The women in North Carolina are quite beautiful and I have seen them smile time to time, unlike Colorado where you couldn't even buy a smile. Should have heeded the warnings of Hank Williams Jr.. Never leave Dixie! Never leave Dixie!
Quit it ! You couldn't have known about Colorado, had you not given the area a shot. If anything, your experience has given you a greater appreciation for the Queen City.

Lesson learned

Besides, some folks find the comparison between Charlotte and Denver a natural one, and it's nice to read a synopsis from someone who looks at Denver in a more realistic light.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 AM

3,266 posts, read 4,005,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Quit it ! You couldn't have known about Colorado, had you not given the area a shot. If anything, your experience has given you a greater appreciation for the Queen City.

Lesson learned

Besides, some folks find the comparison between Charlotte and Denver a natural one, and it's nice to read a synopsis from someone who looks at Denver in a more realistic light.
Yeah, it was a real hard lesson.. Well, I have now lived in cities all over the West Coast, Charlotte (East Coast) and Denver (the Middle, kind of). I have a much broader perspective now and have a better understanding of Colorado. Colorado is one of those places people romanticize about. Yes, because of some immaculate beauty in some very remote areas everyone is in love with the place. I've had more recruiters come after me in this town than anywhere, but money is not everything. You got to find a place where you can smell the flowers in Spring. Charlotte has such an array of beautiful flowers.. It's almost APril and there is not a damn flower or any green grass in this ugly and dreadful Front Range. Even the trees are still quite barren and none are even budding yet. The place looks like the aftermath of post-apocalyptic nuclear world war.

Personally, I think the mountains in North Carolina are more beautiful than Colorado.

Anyway, the OP should be doing well, especially with his budget.. He said he is from Georgia (not necessarily Atlanta), so this may not apply to him. But as far as picking a larger Southern City, Atlanta is much more expensive, crime-ridden and the traffic is insane. I've also heard there is racial tension there. Charlotte seemed like the most racially integrated city I have ever lived in. Many people told me to move to Atlanta for its tech scene. I rather be poor or have a less prestigious resume than be stuck in a place I hate (like Denver). I'd probably not like Atlanta either from what I reading about it. Denver has a huge tech scene and I still refuse to stay here. You couldn't pay me $300,000 a year to stay in Denver and I am very serious here. I've had some recruiters come to me with interviews at really nice companies. No Thanks. I probably won't get those opportunities in Charlotte, but oh well.

I may not live like a King, but maybe I can live like a Queen in the Queen City

Old 03-24-2019, 12:41 PM
NDL

Quote:
Charlotte has such an array of beautiful flowers...
I will share with you the car ride that sold me on Charlotte (yes; I was sold after a single car ride!)

The best time to take the following ride is at dusk:

- Start at the South Park Mall, and continue east on Fairview Road.

- Take a right hand turn onto Colony Road.

- Continue on Colony, which will eventually turn into Rea Road.

- Take Rea all the way south, into Blakeney.

I have lived in a few highly coveted areas in New York; setting the ocean aside, few have the beauty that Charlotte has.

Since you're a beholder of flowers, you'll appreciate the beautiful flowers that the City plants in the center median.

(EDIT: Much of the beauty that I spoke of is centered around Morrison Blvd)

Last edited by NDL; 03-24-2019 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 PM

1,960 posts, read 565,544 times
Quote:
What is it with CO??? It seems like it changed overnight. Hope that doesn't happen to NC.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

924 posts, read 1,853,621 times
Sent you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or