U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 50,655 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are moving into South Charlotte area.

All of the homes in the communities I have been looking at (Hunter Oaks, Somerset) have carpeting on the entire second floor. I was wondering if anyone knew what is usually underneath these carpets and how can one go about adding hardwoods to the bedrooms and what something like this would cost.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 PM

286 posts, read 943,327 times
I'm no expert but I think under the carpet padding is called the subfloor. It's usually not hard to have someone come in and add hardwood; easier than on concret at least I think. But what is your reason for taking out carpet? I'm just curious. Most people want carpet in their bedrooms. I always think about those cold winter morning and stepping onto a cold HW floor would not appeal to me.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 PM

19 posts, read 50,655 times
Thanks for the quick response. I would remove the carpeting in the bedrooms for "health" reasons. I have always been told it is unhealthy to have carpeting in the house, especially where you sleep and some research I have done is in agreement with that. Carpet Information - Dangers of Wall to Wall Carpeting

Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
I put bamboo floors in my house lower level and upper level
I dont have any problems with hardwoods on second floor the bathroom is tile so I always have socks on.
I would use caution about putting it on the stair case see this thread lol. Emergency Room visit In A Hour Amazing

Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM

46 posts, read 196,680 times
The only issue you will have putting hardwood upstairs will be your stair case. Stairs are built with a rise/ run tolerance to code. Depending on the thickness of the hardwood, you may have an issue where the wood meets the top of the stairs. This could be a problem two fold, one for resale and two for safety.

Resale- Home inspector might catch the code violation.
Safety- If the rise of the last step is out more than 3/4" it may cause a tripping hazard.

What kind of wood are thinking about? Glue down, 3/4" oak, etc.....

Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,304,306 times
We are having hardwoods installed on our 2nd floor also. All my kids have asthma and I like the way it looks. In my last house my husband installed wood floors in the kitchen himself. We purchased the flooring from Home Depot. They were prefinished and looked very nice. I don't think it cost more then $1000.00 for the one room, probably closer to $800. We also had height issues going into our living room and dining room from the kitchen but we purchased thresholds and it worked out great. I don't know how that would work at the top of the stairs though.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,728,509 times
I just put down Trafficmaster Allure vinyl wood planks in my livingroom and kitchen and it looks great. We found it at Home Depot. Apparently, it's a relatively new product (hitting the stores last year), so it took a little poking around on the internet to find out good info. They come with a 25 year warranty against defects and material problems. They're virtually indestructable, but not un-scratchable. I've had high heels walk on it already and didn't even phase it! The surface has molded wood grain so it looks and feels like real wood. You can not tell they aren't real wood, even with your face a few inches away! The best part: $1.67 per sq. ft.

The big kicker is ease of installation...just a razor blade to score it, then snap it. The planks stick together with an overlapping self-adhesive strip. Couldn't be more simple. It took about a full day's worth to get the bullk of the work done by myself. I still have the small hallway with a pantry and bathroom left to do...the hardest part since there will be a lot of cutting and measuring.

Here's a pic of the living room finished product: Click Here (we went with the Cherry finish)

I highly recommend checking it out at Home Depot. Click Here
The only one I know that does NOT have a smaple on display is the Design Center in uptown. All the "normal" had a sample set out. Another good feature is the number of colors/styles available...something like 15-20 different ones.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:55 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,728,509 times
Moderator cut: solicitation. share with forum please I found it kind of difficult to find any real info on them...installation tips, quality, the look, etc. Don't expect the people at Home Depot to know anything about them! I went to or called 4 different stores and got 4 different stories from each!

It was worth it in the long run though...I have great looking floors and very happy with it.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 AM

157 posts, read 735,327 times
You are probably looking at anywhere from $3-8 dollars per square foot for the hardwoods (obviously this is going to depend on the type of hardwood you are using), and the going rate to install it is probably going to be $3-4 dollars per square foot. Are you looking for a prefinished hardwood? Engineered? Solid 3/4 oak? Again, the degree of difficulty could vary, and obviously your installation would vary as well (prefinished vs. sanding and staining makes a big difference).

Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,828,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_fx_35 View Post
You are probably looking at anywhere from $3-8 dollars per square foot for the hardwoods (obviously this is going to depend on the type of hardwood you are using), and the going rate to install it is probably going to be $3-4 dollars per square foot. Are you looking for a prefinished hardwood? Engineered? Solid 3/4 oak? Again, the degree of difficulty could vary, and obviously your installation would vary as well (prefinished vs. sanding and staining makes a big difference).
I had pre-finished quarter-sawn oak put down in my bedroom last summer. The company owner said he only started using pre-finished then because they had come out with a new finish that he was sure would last. Ten months later, my floor still looks like it did when they installed it. I had the original floor in my 1921 house re-finished in the living/dining rooms and 2 big dogs haven't damaged it (95 and 80 lbs).

I like the look of wood and it is super easy to keep clean. Plus, I have the dogs and carpet starts to smell doggy pretty quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or