U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:47 PM
NDL

3,121 posts, read 3,609,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
My girlfriend can work at any hospital/medical facility. She is completing an advanced degree.

I work remote for the time being but can work at any advertising/marketing agency. I know Red Ventures has two offices in the Charlotte area and one of them is toward the SC border somewhat near Matthews. Plenty of other large firms in downtown. I wonder if that commute would be too stressful? I imagine Independence Blvd gets really backed up during rush hour.
Matthews has a large hospital/medical facility, and there's a planned hospital in Ballantyne. I am not sure, but I do believe that Mint Hill might have something too. Pineville has a large hospital as well.

I wouldn't see Matthews as being an issue, location wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 727,046 times
Thanks for all the responses.

What's a more "central" location? Very hard for me to determine since Charlotte is so spread out.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:43 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.

What's a more "central" location? Very hard for me to determine since Charlotte is so spread out.
You've just identified the problem with choosing a place to live prior to knowing where you will be working.

The only real answer is neighborhoods close to Uptown, but even then you could have a terrible commute. Plus, those neighborhoods generally fall into one of two categories: cheap, unsafe and undesirable or very expensive, safe and very desirable.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You've just identified the problem with choosing a place to live prior to knowing where you will be working.

The only real answer is neighborhoods close to Uptown, but even then you could have a terrible commute. Plus, those neighborhoods generally fall into one of two categories: cheap, unsafe and undesirable or very expensive, safe and very desirable.
Much agreed.

OP: If your girlfriend will be working in a medical facility, then Matthews is ideal. Mint Hill should be coming online very soon; Ballantyne is on it's way; Pineville is large; University City isn't a terribly far drive. Matthews itself has a large facility.

If you lived close to Uptown, you'd have access to a few facilities there, and a facility or two in Lake Norman. You'd still have to travel to Matthews, Pineville, Mint Hill, University City, etc., for access to those facilities.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
If you are looking for a “central” but family friendly area near shopping, I’d start with the Concord Mills area which is convenient to 85, 485 and 77.. Tons of shopping in the Concord Mills area as well as nearby in University or Northlake. Would be a relatively easy commute to the hospitals in University, Kannapolis, Huntersville and Mint Hill and a somewhat reasonable commute to uptown or places like Matthews and Gastonia. Pineville or going to SC may be a little longer though.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:30 AM

1,246 posts, read 727,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

Totally get that. But for the time being my work will likely remain a work from home position and the Red Ventures mention was just because I know I could get a job there if I needed to (I've been accepted in the past).

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there's an area in Charlotte that has these types of companies (business development, marketing, advertising) concentrated in a specific area. That way if I did need to switch jobs, we would be in an area where the commute wouldn't be terrible.

My line of work is much different than my girlfriend's. She could stay at the same medical facility her entire career. The longest I've ever been at a company is 3 years. There is much higher turnover given the nature of the work (cut throat sales/marketing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Much agreed.

OP: If your girlfriend will be working in a medical facility, then Matthews is ideal. Mint Hill should be coming online very soon; Ballantyne is on it's way; Pineville is large; University City isn't a terribly far drive. Matthews itself has a large facility.

If you lived close to Uptown, you'd have access to a few facilities there, and a facility or two in Lake Norman. You'd still have to travel to Matthews, Pineville, Mint Hill, University City, etc., for access to those facilities.
Thanks for the suggestions! I like what I'm reading about those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If you are looking for a “central” but family friendly area near shopping, I’d start with the Concord Mills area which is convenient to 85, 485 and 77.. Tons of shopping in the Concord Mills area as well as nearby in University or Northlake. Would be a relatively easy commute to the hospitals in University, Kannapolis, Huntersville and Mint Hill and a somewhat reasonable commute to uptown or places like Matthews and Gastonia. Pineville or going to SC may be a little longer though.
I could handle an hour commute if I ABSOLUTELY had to, so I guess that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I will check out that area but I think I want to keep my search within the Charlotte perimeter (not sure if that's what they call the highway that circles the city like they do in Atlanta).

My girlfriend can't stand traffic, but doesn't mind a long commute as long as the traffic is moving. She is from a small town so I know Charlotte will be a shock to her. I'd rather live 5-15 minutes from her work and then put the commute on myself if it came down to that.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,363,143 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there's an area in Charlotte that has these types of companies (business development, marketing, advertising) concentrated in a specific area. That way if I did need to switch jobs, we would be in an area where the commute wouldn't be terrible.
Uptown, SouthPark and Ballantyne.

Quote:
My girlfriend can't stand traffic, but doesn't mind a long commute as long as the traffic is moving. She is from a small town so I know Charlotte will be a shock to her. I'd rather live 5-15 minutes from her work and then put the commute on myself if it came down to that.
Then she absolutely needs to find a job before you decide where to live.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 AM
NDL

Quote:
Totally get that. But for the time being my work will likely remain a work from home position and the Red Ventures mention was just because I know I could get a job there if I needed to (I've been accepted in the past).

My line of work is much different than my girlfriend's. She could stay at the same medical facility her entire career. The longest I've ever been at a company is 3 years. There is much higher turnover given the nature of the work (cut throat sales/marketing).

I could handle an hour commute if I ABSOLUTELY had to, so I guess that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I will check out that area but I think I want to keep my search within the Charlotte perimeter (not sure if that's what they call the highway that circles the city like they do in Atlanta).

What's your budget?

There are several nice locations within Charlotte as well. Blakeney has a great deal of shopping, is a lovely area, and is equidistant to Pineville and Matthews. It also presents a reasonable commute to South Park, and is very close to Ballantyne. Your girlfriend should have no issue finding employment along the southern 485 band, but as BC suggested, if she has an aversion to larger sized towns, it's best that she get an offer of employment before moving.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:

I think most people just say 485. But being inside or outside 485 can be a little deceiving particularly if referring to the edges of it. The Concord Mills area is just outside of 485, but convenient to 2 other interstates that go towards uptown. Matthews is just inside of 485, but has no interstate going towards uptown. Plus if going from Matthews towards I-77 in the mornings, that stretch of 485 can be pretty bad.

I don't know the breakdown of types of companies, but the University area also has a decent employment hub.

But I agree with the others, based on what you've said particularly referring to your girlfriend and because of her field which gives her a lot of location options, she really needs to find a job first before you figure out where you will live. If you like Matthews and she doesn't like traffic, then she should probably focus her effort on getting a job in Matthews, Mint Hill, Union County, or maybe University.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:08 PM

21,854 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:

There is also a cluster of medical facilities west of Charlotte. Without knowing what type of facility would be best for her, there are hospitals in Gastonia, Kings Mountain, Shelby, and Lincolnton and a rehab facility in Belmont. That would also give reasonable access to hospitals in Charlotte and Huntersville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or