U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 AM

255 posts, read 800,742 times

Advertisements

Yeah it's the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 AM

17 posts, read 97,645 times
I have 2 DVRs (yes, I'm an addict) and taped the show on both of them. One had the voices missing and the other one didn't, FWIW. My "HD" DVR seems to have weird problems like that more often than my older non-HD one.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM

237 posts, read 234,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Sounds like ya'll need to switch to DISH.

Sounds like a lot of people need to learn basic troubleshooting. It is very basic in solving problems in real life. Problem needs to be isolated and different sources of problem tested until one is found to be relevant. In cable issues you need to isolate , in this case, sound sources and outputs, need to check settings on tv , on box, on surround system, etc Besides, and i accept, that most electronics arent all that dinosaur friendly anymore.

As to problem being widespread i agree and i m not referring to exactly the issue here, but on many similar threads where the equipment is always an easy target. Many times the end user was unable to troubleshoot the issue.

Last edited by nail in da coffin; 04-15-2008 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
Sounds like a lot of people need to learn basic troubleshooting. It is very basic in solving problems in real life. Problem needs to be isolated and different sources of problem tested until one is found to be relevant. In cable issues you need to isolate , in this case, sound sources and outputs, need to check settings on tv , on box, on surround system, etc Besides, and i accept, that most electronics arent all that dinosaur friendly anymore.
They are not going to be able to go to WBTV station to trouble shoot this.
They have people who do this and this could have been a network issue since it is apparent on this thread that it was widespread.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM

21,855 posts, read 27,128,289 times
I was a broadcast tech for 20 years.

I have been following this thread to see if something became apparent.

At this point, it appears that there was a problem at the broadcasting-source, but it might be a transmission problem, connected with the satellite. Network shows are sent up to satellite transponders. Whether you get the show via satellite, cable or the local station, THEY get the show via satellite transmission.

There are a lot of permutations of those 2 potential problems, but I don't want to bore anyone stiff.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,667,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They are not going to be able to go to WBTV station to trouble shoot this.
They have people who do this and this could have been a network issue since it is apparent on this thread that it was widespread.
Sunny - I so agree! I suspect that if the analog channel of WBTV had no sound problem and the digital version did have the sound problem, that the origin of it arose at WBTV. I'd be willing to bet that if a Dish Network HDTV tuner and a Time Warner HDTV tuner were recording that episode of "Criminal Minds" as a digital signal, they both would have experienced the "dialogue dropout problem.

Dawn - If you missed most of that episode of CM, you can go to watch it on CBS.com on your computer. Sometimes they don't list episodes that are less than 2 weeks old, but they will eventually come up! All is not lost!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
Thank you! I don't mind waiting. I really would rather watch it from my lazyboy chair, but, well.....

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Sunny - I so agree! I suspect that if the analog channel of WBTV had no sound problem and the digital version did have the sound problem, that the origin of it arose at WBTV. I'd be willing to bet that if a Dish Network HDTV tuner and a Time Warner HDTV tuner were recording that episode of "Criminal Minds" as a digital signal, they both would have experienced the "dialogue dropout problem.

Dawn - If you missed most of that episode of CM, you can go to watch it on CBS.com on your computer. Sometimes they don't list episodes that are less than 2 weeks old, but they will eventually come up! All is not lost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte