U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 05:01 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,547,061 times

Advertisements

Many apartment complexes offer shorter term leases -- though usually at a higher price than a full year lease would be. May be worth considering.

You are not alone This market has been a challenge for buyers, especially at certain price points...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 01:21 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Many apartment complexes offer shorter term leases -- though usually at a higher price than a full year lease would be. May be worth considering.

You are not alone This market has been a challenge for buyers, especially at certain price points...
That’s been our experience so far. Most listings have been too low, or too high! We just passed on one of each yesterday...

Old 04-20-2019, 12:52 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thatís been our experience so far. Most listings have been too low, or too high! We just passed on one of each yesterday...
I can vouch for south.charlotte&union. She knows what she's talking about. You might want to check for apartment availability.

I'm aware of 2 apartment complexes that seem to skew a bit older. I don't know if they do short term leases, though.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:39 PM

337 posts, read 136,584 times
Money always talks, in real estate and everything else (maybe not love haha).

If I were the seller I would never agree to "hold" a property but if someone was really, really interested and said they would pay list price or even $2,000 over any written offer with no contingencies (like financing) I would give anyone 48 hours. The hot sellers market isn't cooling down in 48 hours.

Seller might get other offers during that time so not like they'd be losing out. The fact that you are out of town may mean you'll pay a little more but not having to move twice (rent then buy) is a big reason to pay a little more. I am not a real estate agent, but have bought a lot of real estate.

If their listing agent tells them not to allow 48 hours that means she/he has the listing plus their own buyer, not co-broking. Can't do anything about that although I once got a purchase done (FL not NC) by going around the listing agent and called the seller directly asking if our offer had been presented. No it had not due to her unethical agent. As a consumer I can call an owner, an agent can't.

Do not offer a deposit, that means nothing. Owners want a sale not a deposit unless it's attached to a legal purchase agreement.

Good luck. Maybe you should buy a new home, sold to you on your schedule.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:52 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,411,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just thought the prospect of having two offers might buy us 36 hours (or less). They'd know same day we got there. Guess not.

Coming Soon does help, hopefully something we think we want will appear Coming Soon, almost did once already. Our realtor has offered to FaceTime, so we have that option. I offered to front her some cash to put down on our behalf, and she didn't take us up on it - I'll ask her again specifying Due Diligence money.

We've been trying to buy for two months. I'm about ready to move into an apartment down there, but I haven't convinced my bride - partly because with our luck we'll sign a lease on an apartment and the perfect house will list the next day...

I don't know how much it costs you to travel but, I do know that you can do short-term leases for a slightly higher rent. How much higher is a question the landlord can answer. You can also look into corporate housing or similar where it is furnished rather than having to pay to move twice. I think I make a very obvious statement when I say long-distance home buying is a real pain. You'll be better off being in the area trying to buy. Find a way.

As someone who has sold multiple houses recently, if someone asks me to hold a house for 36 hours hours I'm telling them to pound sand. I'm not potentially losing out on an offer for a "might make an offer" scenario. Without knowing who is on the phone, it just strikes me as a not-so-serious buyer. I may be totally wrong but I don't know and don't care to take the chance.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:22 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I don't know how much it costs you to travel but, I do know that you can do short-term leases for a slightly higher rent. How much higher is a question the landlord can answer. You can also look into corporate housing or similar where it is furnished rather than having to pay to move twice. I think I make a very obvious statement when I say long-distance home buying is a real pain. You'll be better off being in the area trying to buy. Find a way.

As someone who has sold multiple houses recently, if someone asks me to hold a house for 36 hours hours I'm telling them to pound sand. I'm not potentially losing out on an offer for a "might make an offer" scenario. Without knowing who is on the phone, it just strikes me as a not-so-serious buyer. I may be totally wrong but I don't know and don't care to take the chance.
You may well be right. But FWIW, we've been working with a realtor in the area since Feb, and she knows our situation. Hopefully when she calls a listing agent, we're not represented as a random "not-so-serious buyer." She knows we're absolutely serious, ready to buy the right house...

We may just rent down there, but we can be there in 36 hours or less and we see listings as soon as they land anywhere online. Most listings haven't gone under contract in less than 36 hours, but we are afraid if an ideal house (for us) comes on the market, it could go fast.

We viewed three listings last week that were very close to what we want, two still don't have offers. Our realtor scheduled appointments for all three Tue PM/Wed AM. We viewed all three Thur AM. The listing agent for the third home was waiting for a call from our realtor. He had gotten an offer Thur night, but he was holding until Fri AM for our offer - but we passed. I assume even if there is an offer, the seller usually has 24 hours to accept, decline, counter - and another offer could be under consideration during the 24 hours?

Our realtor knows what we're after and if the right house comes up, we might offer sight unseen and start driving. Our realtor has also offered to do a FaceTime walk-thru of any house we're that interested in.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-27-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 PM

191 posts, read 317,472 times
Our contract has a great feature that most do not. It’s called due diligence, which means that someone can walk away from an offer for any reason or no reason at all. To clarify, due diligence amounts and earnest money amounts are all negotiable and only a portion of what makes a good offer. Also consider if you could offer the seller an extended closing (not everyone wants a quick close). All of this being said, sellers usually want security and holding for 36 hours doesn’t fell secure. It is unfortunate but in a competitive market everyone has to get competitive and creative. With today’s technology, you really can practically view a home from anywhere. I could actually hire a video company to do a full virtual walkthrough and email to you for probably less than due diligence and travel costs. That being said, good offers should be accepted right away. Not every buyer wants to get in a multiple bid situation, and I’ve seen several back out to not be in that arrangement. Have you thought about back up offers. I can’t tell you the number of times a house falls out of contract for any number of reasons so don’t ignore those homes under contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte