U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Oh good, another thread from someone up north to tell people in the south what's wrong with the south.

If you're worried about your Sunday drive being marred by the ghastly sight of a trailer, I'd probably look to stay in the gated community, far away from the unwashed masses. Are you really concerned someone is going to pull a 1964 single wide next to your house and impact your value? My biggest advice would be to just not move next to the dilapidated trailer in the first place and you'll be fine.
Sorry, Wolf Howl, didn't mean to offend. Perhaps my question was inelegantly expressed.

We are lifelong Northeast folk who are tuned in, so to speak, on what things are like in our neck of the woods. Plunk us down in an unfamiliar area in our region and we can quickly get a good idea of the good areas vs. bad, where things are trending up and places that are on their way down. A rule of thumb that has served me well when in an unfamiliar area is that when I see pawn shops, graffiti, or bars on windows to turn around and go the other way.

During our drive around last month we only got a snapshot of the area, at that one point in time, with no basis for understanding if those areas where we saw lots of trailers are places that are best avoided, if they represent simple economic conditions or if they reflect criminality. There are some hardworking folks in our town who still can't make ends meet and landscaping, nice cars, general appearance and condition of their homes aren't as high on their priorities as those things are for other people. Then again there are people in nearby towns with dwellings in similar condition but after driving by at different hours of the day, over time, we know they are the ones who hold wild parties, with cars and bikes blasting down the street at all hours and frequent and obvious public drunkenness with frequent attention from the local constabulary.

We couldn't drive by and make these calls during our one week in town, was just looking for help from folks with the awareness of a "local" who could offer guidance.

And that we have received. Thank you everyone for replying to my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,143,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Oh good, another thread from someone up north to tell people in the south what's wrong with the south.

Well no offense but they have some of the best education and medical in the US along with an array of other stats that far supersede the Bible Belt region.. It wouldn't hurt for them to for once take a page out of their book on some issues, particularly on how to become more progressive and to help eliminate some of this famous southern poverty. That's not a bias opinion that's true statistics.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM

29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Well no offense but they have some of the best education and medical in the US along with an array of other stats that far supersede the Bible Belt region.. It wouldn't hurt for them to for once take a page out of their book on some issues, particularly on how to become more progressive and to help eliminate some of this famous southern poverty. That's not a bias opinion that's true statistics.
All of the North isn't a monolith just as all of the South isn't a monolith. The urban South is progressing just fine, given what it's had to work with from the start.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good Lord. Nobody here believes that Charlotte is the Southern version of Camden, NJ as you're making it out to be.
+5

Thank you so much for an excellent laugh, Mutiny. Having had Camden as my county seat for over 40 years, I know hell-holes when I see them

Old 05-04-2019, 01:58 PM

666 posts, read 803,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers2005 View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I are considering a move to the Lake Norman area but have also been looking in nearby towns to get a feel for the entire region. We just got back from spending a week in the area trying to see if Hertz's policy of "unlimited miles" really is unlimited LOL

It seemed that there was a large number of dilapidated and/or abandoned trailers dotting the countryside, many times interspersed between newer, well-kept conventional homes or developments. They looked very much out of place and, I hope I don't offend anyone, but they were eyesores.

Realizing that some people fall on hard times, and in the case of a mobile home there is not much downside to just walking away from a trailer if times get tough, but do the towns or counties have any plans in place to do anything about cleaning these things up? Is there something about the local zoning, politics, etc that lends itself to this condition, is the area generally less affluent than the McMansions would have you believe, or do these abandoned trailers reflect people getting priced out of the market but nobody has swooped in to flip these properties?

We don't want or need to be living in gated estates but we do want to know that when the time comes that our corner of town won't turn into a rural ghetto if the well-kept manufactured homes in the area become abandoned. Are these relics of old policies, and there are protections in place to prevent new abandonments?

I apologize if I am asking the question inelegantly. perhaps it is best to simply ask "whats the deal with all the trailers?"

Thank you,

Matt
I'm not saying this is you, but as a City Planner, I love getting calls from new residents complaining about aesthetic and land use issues. Most people move to "the South" to get away from "higher taxes and regulations", as we've all heard. Well, abandoned trailers are the result. so are abandoned cars, trash on the roadsides, and traffic jams.

Call your state legislator -- they are the ones who responsible for local government in a "Dillon-rule state". Local government can't make any law or regulation without the legislature saying so. In the last 10 years, the legislature has been hijacked by low tax, no regulation, Republicans who are in the back pocket of developers and builders.

"Private property rights" trump (pun intended) the health, safety and welfare of the rest of us. Look forward to more crap as long as the GOP controls Raleigh.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:02 PM

43 posts, read 30,393 times
Developers and builders thank you very much. NC has sold out too cheap for what it had to offer.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 PM

816 posts, read 638,009 times
I've been around Lake Norman since '93 and have the same question as original poster..

Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
Developers and builders thank you very much. NC has sold out too cheap for what it had to offer.
Sorry.. I knew the people who owned all those woods and farmland before the over-development.. Old locals don't get to use the "sold out" line.. YOU did it..

It's not like inner Atlanta and a lot of Georgia where deed holders were forced to sale using improvement bills and now complain.. All those people who sold to outsiders in Denver, Sherrills Ford, and Mooresville knew EXACTLY what they were doing.. BLAME THEM

Those trailers belong in a landfill or make it rain with some nuisance liens.. If you're an owner in Denver, Sherrills Ford, or Mooresville they are costing you...

Last edited by TJJT; 05-05-2019 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 AM

666 posts, read 803,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I've been around Lake Norman since '93 and have the same question as original poster..

Sorry.. I knew the people who owned all those woods and farmland before the over-development.. Old locals don't get to use the "sold out" line.. YOU did it..

It's not like inner Atlanta and a lot of Georgia where deed holders were forced to sale using improvement bills and now complain.. All those people who sold to outsiders in Denver, Sherrills Ford, and Mooresville knew EXACTLY what they were doing.. BLAME THEM

Those trailers belong in a landfill or make it rain with some nuisance liens.. If you're an owner in Denver, Sherrills Ford, or Mooresville they are costing you...
Nusiance liens require the political backbone to "tell people what they can do with their land". Most of these places are controls by Conservatives. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:03 PM

773 posts, read 277,347 times
Take it from this displaced southerner......if trailers in rural areas bother you, abandoned or not, then you need to move to a different part of the country. You shouldn't expect to bring your money south and upturn the way things are done there. Zoning is one thing, which you likely cannot control. But you can control where you settle. Your attitude toward others' lifestyle will not be appreciated in the south, so keep moving on along.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 PM

773 posts, read 277,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I'm not saying this is you, but as a City Planner, I love getting calls from new residents complaining about aesthetic and land use issues. Most people move to "the South" to get away from "higher taxes and regulations", as we've all heard. Well, abandoned trailers are the result. so are abandoned cars, trash on the roadsides, and traffic jams.

Call your state legislator -- they are the ones who responsible for local government in a "Dillon-rule state". Local government can't make any law or regulation without the legislature saying so. In the last 10 years, the legislature has been hijacked by low tax, no regulation, Republicans who are in the back pocket of developers and builders.

"Private property rights" trump (pun intended) the health, safety and welfare of the rest of us. Look forward to more crap as long as the GOP controls Raleigh.
Do you own private property, or are you a renter? Judging by your post, you own nothing. Otherwise, you'd understand that property rights are a strong interest in the south by nearly all property owners, not just "builders" "developers" and "Republicans". You're not much a "City Planner" if you don't know and understand this. And by "City Planner," I assume that you don't know much about rural living anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or