U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM

364 posts, read 1,043,142 times

Advertisements

I don't know if you can do this or not, but we went through the day before our walk through and made all of our notes. Then, on the final walk through we didn't feel pressure to overlook things- we already had our notes of things (plus our inspection report).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 PM

158 posts, read 419,300 times
OMG! I am overwhelmed with your responses! I am noting everything dwn! It seems that the caulking is definitely something that has the possibility of being overlooked! I would have never thought of it. Thank you thank you ever soooo much. I'll let you know what happens!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:04 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,345,183 times
Make sure you test your heater, and air conditioning units (each one of them)

Old 04-13-2008, 02:12 PM

392 posts, read 1,076,889 times
You have received great advice. I would add...

Water is a house's worst enemy (inside and outside). Check the final grading on the ground around the house, ideally the the ground should be pitched away from house to a distance of at least six feet. There is a certain ratio that is commonly applied, I forget it exactly. Down in the Home forum it will probably mention it somewhere. How does the water exit downspouts? It should be exited via something that extends further out from the house than just a downspout elbow and splash block - such as black corrugated pipe. Worry about aesthetics later. If on a crawlspace, someone should check the crawl space for any evidence of water intrusion. A good rainstorm before inspection can help you see standing water, water running towards the house, roof issues, water in crawlspace, etc.

If they have not already mapped such things out for you, and underground utilities are involved, be sure someone "close to the build" indicates exactly where the gas, electric, cable, water, sewer lines are located. You will find that sometimes certain utilities come in beside one side of the drive, and others along the other. If you are on septic, be sure to know exactly the whereabouts of the drainfield. It's usually pretty easy to tell, but ask anyway. Sometimes things are installed differently than will appear on the drawing on the DHEC application for same.

If the utils are underground, and if the cable has not already been ran to the house, be sure that you are not the one who will be expected to pay for the dig on that. This is more likely to occur on free market lots rather than subdiv. lots in large subdivs., if I recall correctly. Also, if they do have to dig, knowing where the other underground utils are will help for this purpose. Someone from Comporium checked off the check box that we had well water, and so, had I not been there to tell them otherwise when they came to dig, the guy doing the dig told me he probably would have ended up cutting the water line.

Be a stickler about construction clean-up both interior and exterior.

Not sure how large a builder you are working with, but you want to have all your warranties/instructions on EVERYTHING in the house, be sure it is very clear the process for addressing issues with the house, who you contact, how that food chain works, you know.

Oh yeah, take off shoes and stand and walk around in all tubs and showers. If you hear any sounds or feel any give whatsoever, you need to point this out. You want these things seated and supported properly. You don't want something cracking or pulling away from the wall. Again, water issues here.

Wow, I could go on and on. Have been learning about this stuff since knee high, so it just pours out, like water.

Congrats and best wishes on your move and your new life in CLT.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:56 PM

870 posts, read 3,211,493 times
you have everything covered here but one thing I did not do during our first walkthrough in Pa but learned my lesson quickly.
Bring a digital camera with an extra card and take pictures of everything. Door frames, wall sockets, switches, fans, fixtures, cabinets, etc.
Document, document, document, - comes in handy later on.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM

Thank you everyone! I have since typed all your recommendations and am grateful! I wll be armed and ready! Hubby thanks you too!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 PM

630 posts, read 1,675,687 times
I'd hire a home inspector even if you know what to look for they might catch something that you didn't and believe me, one little tiny problem that you don't catch (especially water) can prove to be a huge expensive problem down the road.

Take your time and go room by room. Don't let the builder or manager rush you. We didn't miss any big things that I couldn't fix later thank goodness.
Also don't close unless you are absolutely positively sure they fixed everything. Don't believe their "we'll fix it next week" or crap like that because even the best builders won't put in that much effort after the sale. We fell for that. At least it was only little things and things I can fix or bad paint that I was going to paint over anyways.

Finally make sure every room has everything its supposed to have like trim work or ceiling lights or ceiling fans. We were in our home for a month before I realized the master bedroom was supposed to have a tray ceiling. I never even thought about it and its much too late now.

Beat the builder up over the structure (squeeky floors) plumbing that doesn't flow right and HVAC. Make sure all rooms get cool and hot and blow evenly. Exterior doors need to close tightly. Use tissue paper to test them.

Don't concentrate so much on touch up paint. Anyone can go around with a $12 quart of paint and a $3 brush.

Finally watch "Holmes on Homes" on the Discovery Home channel and learn what to look for and how homes are supposed to be built.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,716,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Hey hey there!

Well I'm going through my final walk through on my new construction home on 4.21. Any advice to give me? Questions to ask? What to look for? We do have an independent inspector, but I respect your opinions too!
I mean nothing derrogatory towards Mexicans or anyone else, but they do things differently in other parts of the world. Be sure to check the installation of your electrical sockets, they often put the upside down. They also hang the doors backwards from the way we do in the U.S. Ensure that the holes have been siliconed on the roof where nails have been driven. Check you airconditioning. I have been informed that the workers turn on heat and air conditioning full blast and sometimes blow the condensors, etc. I had a punch list of probably 150 items. I highly recommend that you hire a home inspector which I see that you have done. They cost between $250-$350 depending on the size of your house and are worth the money. I am sure that he will ensure that all electrical sockets work. Additionally, several windows in my new house weren't precisely measured and off just enough to notice. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks again everyone, we did get an inspector. A little over $400. The house is 3500 sq. ft. You guys don't know the sigh of relief I give just from your responses! Thank you!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisquato View Post
Thanks again everyone, we did get an inspector. A little over $400. The house is 3500 sq. ft. You guys don't know the sigh of relief I give just from your responses! Thank you!
Just promise you will post and let us know how it went . . . and if our suggestions and tips helped you! And add anything we forgot - maybe this list will help someone else in the future!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte