U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Indian Trail area: school reassignments, educational resources for special needs child, sales business

Old 12-18-2006, 05:55 PM

85 posts, read 365,580 times

Advertisements

It's the same problem as most. Here are the stats. We are in our mid 30's with 1 son who is 3 and has been dignosed with PDD, but very high functioning. We live in NY and need to relocate. We are looking at Charlotte and went to visit last yr. We are now looking at the Indian Trail area because we heard the schools in parts of the Charlotte are were nuts and always being moved around. We are looking for a 3 bedroom home or condo with a budget of about 200K. Can anybody tell us the 5 best things about the indian trail area and 5 worst things. We are a jewish family and even though we are not very religious, we don't want to feel like outcasts. We are also thinking about going to the Chicago area to live as well. There are pros and cons to both. Biggest concern with NC is work and family activity. I am in sales and it does not seem like there is a ton of work in the Charlotte area. It also does not seem that there is much to do for a family. The aquarium, zoo, and other things are miles away.
Any advice would be very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all mixed up View Post
It's the same problem as most. Here are the stats. We are in our mid 30's with 1 son who is 3 and has been dignosed with PDD, but very high functioning. We live in NY and need to relocate. We are looking at Charlotte and went to visit last yr. We are now looking at the Indian Trail area because we heard the schools in parts of the Charlotte are were nuts and always being moved around. We are looking for a 3 bedroom home or condo with a budget of about 200K. Can anybody tell us the 5 best things about the indian trail area and 5 worst things. We are a jewish family and even though we are not very religious, we don't want to feel like outcasts. We are also thinking about going to the Chicago area to live as well. There are pros and cons to both. Biggest concern with NC is work and family activity. I am in sales and it does not seem like there is a ton of work in the Charlotte area. It also does not seem that there is much to do for a family. The aquarium, zoo, and other things are miles away.
Any advice would be very helpful

Just wanted to mention that frequently when you're talking about a child with exceptional needs, the typical rules about school don't apply. In other words, re-districting, or school reassignments, might be an issue with the general population but it possibly isn't for your child. Also, larger counties (like Meck) typically have more resources available to meet the needs of exceptional children. I'm not trying to steer you there, I just don't want you to make a decision against Charlotte based on information you've heard about the schools. Depending on the neighborhood you were interested in, you might find yourself surprised.

Now having said that, we just moved from Jersey and decided on Union County. And, my 13-year-old has multiple special needs.

I don't know much about Indian Trail (quite a few posters here have chosen it as their home and hopefully they will reply) but, it is a very popular choice amongst transplants. You'd probably find yourself amongst lots of transplanted folks from NY and NJ. However, I'm unsure of the availability of housing, that would meet your specs, in that price range. Prices are rapidly climbing.

Good luck!

SL

Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
There are MANY things for families to do here, trust me. If you want me to give you some specifics, just pm me. The economy here is one of the strongest in the nation, but not everyone has success. It might be the line of work, type of sales, ect. It could be any number of things. Just hang in there, and good luck!

Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 PM

85 posts, read 365,580 times
Thanks for replying. Saralee can I ask you are you happy with the amount and quality of services that you child is receiving? Would it be okay if I asked you where in union county you are?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
WE too are jewish are looking to move to indian trail....good luck to you and your family..

Old 12-18-2006, 09:23 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
sara how do u guys like it there? Im excited about finally making a trip to union county...My husband has been to charlotte many of times on business..but I have never been and im antisipating the move, and hope all will work out....

Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 AM

531 posts, read 1,865,184 times
5 best things about Indian Trail
-The schools
-close proximity to city
-safer than Charlotte
-wonderful nice people
-reasonable home values
I could actually list a lot more here

5 bad things about Indian Trail
-some of the roads need to redone to accomodate growth
I cannot think of anything else...but if I do I will get back to you!

As for your child with needs...my son is in a similar situation and this area has been wonderful to us! They have been very accomodating and helpful. The teachers here are great and they really seem to care about the kids. They have many resources for children with any needs.

As for things to do here...there is quite a lot to do for families. Carowinds, the Raptor Center, sports sports and more sports, The Reed gold mine, Rays Splash Planet, Lazy 5 ranch, Rodeos and so much more!

Some of things I have noticed since being in NC...There is such a sense of community. Your neighbors are not just neighbors, they are your friends. Being newer to the area has always provided something fun to do or see. The change in climate is great. I am now able to afford to do more with our children. We are not always scraping bottom to get by. The money we save on taxes every year allows us to take a family vacation! There are so many positive things about this area. I wish you and your family the best of luck in your search. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them for you.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 AM

531 posts, read 1,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all mixed up View Post
Thanks for replying. Saralee can I ask you are you happy with the amount and quality of services that you child is receiving? Would it be okay if I asked you where in union county you are?

I cannot reply for saralee, but I can give you my opionion...

We came from CT 2 years ago. They (CT) refused to diagnose my son or give him any services. We fought for 3 years and still had nothing.

We moved here and within a month they were giving my son services. They addressed his needs immediately and did not wait. They have been fair in all services we get. They actually gave him more services than I was expecting. They also helped us become involved with TEAACH and our local chapter of the autism society. They went out of their way to help us. I hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can offer more assistance on the subject.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I cannot reply for saralee, but I can give you my opionion...

We came from CT 2 years ago. They (CT) refused to diagnose my son or give him any services. We fought for 3 years and still had nothing.

We moved here and within a month they were giving my son services. They addressed his needs immediately and did not wait. They have been fair in all services we get. They actually gave him more services than I was expecting. They also helped us become involved with TEAACH and our local chapter of the autism society. They went out of their way to help us. I hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can offer more assistance on the subject.

Our situation was very similar, more than two year legal battle with our Somerset County (NJ) school district, lots of tears, heartache, anger, my son was on a downward spiral, steadily regressing ...

Arrived in Union County (NC) and it's like the difference between night and day. I didn't have to beg or threaten to receive some very basic services.

Our situation is actually very unusual, and too detailed but basically, I am happy with my son's school and the accomodations made thus far. There's always room for improvement, but again, my son's special needs are extreme (so it's difficult to make comparisons). Generally, I feel that my input has been respected, and my son is actually happy about school for the first time in several years. Unfortunately, a lot of damage has already been done and there are scars from our last experience that I believe are permanent. I fear he'll never experience the joy of learning, it will always be a chore, one met with lots of resistance. But we're managing.

Moving to Monroe, North Carolina, has salvaged my family in more ways than one. We are very content here.

Sincerely,

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte