U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,305,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxe View Post
Donít do this. Municipal government employees should not be giving out such recommendations. Additionally, the zoning department would typically not have this type of info. Rather, it would be the building inspection department.
Both are handled in the same office where I live. They have a list of contractors who do work for the city and are licensed, if someone is going to need work done that will need a permit & have to be inspected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,627,411 times
The economy is great, people are spending more and tradespeople can be selective on which jobs they take. It's simple economics really.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:14 PM

3,423 posts, read 875,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The economy is great, people are spending more and tradespeople can be selective on which jobs they take. It's simple economics really.
Sounds more to me like people who just don't want to work - they wouldn't be continuing to post promotional material (and some are even offering deals and discounts) if this were the case.

Maybe they need solid justification for all those miles written off their brand new F-350 (I'm sure it's not ALL beach trips and pulling the camper)...

Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,627,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sounds more to me like people who just don't want to work - they wouldn't be continuing to post promotional material (and some are even offering deals and discounts) if this were the case.

Maybe they need solid justification for all those miles written off their brand new F-350 (I'm sure it's not ALL beach trips and pulling the camper)...
I'm in the business of hiring these sort of folks, trust me, it's not that they don't want to work (at least around here, NE, Upper MW are different stories). They can, and are, very picky about jobs they take on. They, like everyone else, want to maximize margin while putting in the least amount of risk. It's a workers world right now. Good for many but a bit challenging for others, including consumers.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 AM

838 posts, read 657,154 times
Reality Check....
  1. You're a little late with the Yankee stuff most people anywhere close to Charlotte; All the way out to Albermarle, are from the North in 2019.. I'm in Kannapolis and travel a lot as a professional driver and rarely still meet southern people unless I go way out on back roads or low rent neighborhoods, and even then.. This is nothing compared to anywhere within 200 miles of Atlanta..
  2. Anyone who buys real estate in Salisbury needs their head checked.. It's a hot spot for the opioid and methamphetamine crisis and has daily gang activity.. This is why rent is $450-$600 for a brick home and there are people in the woods everywhere..
  3. Of course they turn you down.. They can go down the road and make $3,000 in a few days building a $400.00 deck for someone who likes the way they look and talk.. I use to do it too as did everyone on the sites I worked.. Why do you think contractors drive $60,000 trucks and have mortgages and toys and spend a lot of time just hanging out?

Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM

201 posts, read 71,614 times
For example, the other day I told my son that if he doesn't get a steady position instead of changing companies every month, he will eventually lose his ability t get a job. He said that that isn't the case these days. With all the jobs out there, one that has a skill can change as often as desired without fear. That seems to be true. The economy is unimaginably good. Anyone that denies that is just part of the "denial" group.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Reality Check....
  1. You're a little late with the Yankee stuff most people anywhere close to Charlotte; All the way out to Albermarle, are from the North in 2019.. I'm in Kannapolis and travel a lot as a professional driver and rarely still meet southern people unless I go way out on back roads or low rent neighborhoods, and even then.. This is nothing compared to anywhere within 200 miles of Atlanta..
  2. Anyone who buys real estate in Salisbury needs their head checked.. It's a hot spot for the opioid and methamphetamine crisis and has daily gang activity.. This is why rent is $450-$600 for a brick home and there are people in the woods everywhere..
  3. Of course they turn you down.. They can go down the road and make $3,000 in a few days building a $400.00 deck for someone who likes the way they look and talk.. I use to do it too as did everyone on the sites I worked.. Why do you think contractors drive $60,000 trucks and have mortgages and toys and spend a lot of time just hanging out?
You just blew it right open for me. Eye-opener. Nice to meet you fellow NC resident!

I tried to talk her out of buying it, but she's 57. Best case now is making do with it.

And yeah, Atlanta, I try to make it there a few times a year, nice place, but last I heard empty lots were going for $100k in East Cobb county. Not entirely unheard of if the homes are pushing $1M, but the value of land : home is seems oddly high when I look at the price of existing homes in the same area. Maybe it's just different than what I'm used to.

If I had to move down that way, I'm thinking Dallas/Hiram and just put up with the commute. You can get 5 BD / 3.5 BA for not much more than $250k out that way...

Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 PM

838 posts, read 657,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You just blew it right open for me. Eye-opener. Nice to meet you fellow NC resident!

I tried to talk her out of buying it, but she's 57. Best case now is making do with it.

And yeah, Atlanta, I try to make it there a few times a year, nice place, but last I heard empty lots were going for $100k in East Cobb county. Not entirely unheard of if the homes are pushing $1M, but the value of land : home is seems oddly high when I look at the price of existing homes in the same area. Maybe it's just different than what I'm used to.

If I had to move down that way, I'm thinking Dallas/Hiram and just put up with the commute. You can get 5 BD / 3.5 BA for not much more than $250k out that way...
I would give advice, but I made a post yesterday where land in Gainesville, GA is going for over a quarter million an acre.. Gainesville, GA is a rural town that is basically woods and trailer parks, but is 51 minutes from Dekalb!

Less than twenty years ago you could buy a home with land in Gainesville, GA for <$30,000 easy.. Basically a ranch or farm that takes up a big chunk of Google Maps at 1000 ft for <$100,000. I own land on the southern border of GA and it barely moves in evaluation and demand though..

Old 05-02-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I would give advice, but I made a post yesterday where land in Gainesville, GA is going for over a quarter million an acre.. Gainesville, GA is a rural town that is basically woods and trailer parks, but is 51 minutes from Dekalb!

Less than twenty years ago you could buy a home with land in Gainesville, GA for <$30,000 easy.. Basically a ranch or farm that takes up a big chunk of Google Maps at 1000 ft for <$100,000. I own land on the southern border of GA and it barely moves in evaluation and demand though..
Yep someone on here wanted to argue that Flowery Branch was ATL metro but Gainesville was not. "Gainesville has its own local economy". LOL!

Southern border, you mean like Valdosta? Would be nice and cheap but I don't think the boss is ready to let us work 100% remote quite yet! From a quick glance on G Maps, there's a whole lotta nothin' close by!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 PM

378 posts, read 227,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Sure, but it's still unreasonable when a detailed contract for bathroom renovations is mutually-signed by a client and contractor. A contract with market and project specific -reasonable compensation signed several weeks before an agreed start date (11/12/18), interim task-target completion dates, a defined drop dead finish date (pre-Xmas '18), stipulated proactive communication requirements regarding significant contract term changes, i.e., updated start date, revised interim complete date/time changes, new or different materials costs exceeding $150, etc.

All good, then contractor EM concocts excuse after excuse after lame excuse, e.g., renovation at contradctor's current client delayed by some knucklehead dropping a hammer in a purported custom tub, worker threw out his back and no one else was able or available to mud walls, some other guy wrecked his truck in an accident and had no way to get to job, etc etc etc. Finally, we heard "I'm really sorries", "I apologize", I wish I could do something more", "blah blah blah blah, blah", etc.

In multiple similar scenarios elsewhere in the States and in a few other countries, never has my spouse/business partner nor I involuntarily fired any contractor let alone one recommended by several respected parties. In Eric's case, he effectively fired himself before even starting what likely could have been the first of multiple projects. Takes all kinds to make up the world, bizarre kinds included!

Perhaps positively in the end, we hired and will rehire another contractor who communicated like an adult, managed an initial project and his guys like a professional, ensured quality work was done, a few issues were quickly resolved, and work was satisfactorily completed within a reasonable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or