U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,669,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
My husband's job took us to those cities, so it was out of necessity, just as living here is NOT a choice. I have never sent my kids to public schools, they were in our parish school for a short time and then have all been homeschooled.

I am not blowing smoke about the substandard education in our country. I have done a lot of research on this. Here is one article I just quickly found regarding our educational system:

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...t-math/281983/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-math-science/

There is a plethora of statistics to support this.

Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension - and spelling. I just said in my previous comment that the guns do not fire themselves. Read more carefully, please.

My spelling and reading comprehension are just fine! You're talking about "sin" and social change and we're discussing the shooting at UNCC. I hope your husband finds a new job soon so you can move to a place that isn't such a den of iniquity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Looks like the shooter does have autism, although he seems high functioning. I'm very curious about what was his motive for the shooting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uncc-sh...ystan-terrell/

Old 05-01-2019, 05:09 PM

2,158 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Quote:
Why would I march with the NC teachers when I don't agree with public education? We have one of the worst public school systems in the developed world. Not sure I get what you mean by this.
Yet, by your own words, your child is enrolled in public education at UNCC. Interesting dichotomy, I would have though Duke, Davidson, Princeton.. etc.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:11 PM

311 posts, read 214,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
My spelling and reading comprehension are just fine! You're talking about "sin" and social change and we're discussing the shooting at UNCC. I hope your husband finds a new job soon so you can move to a place that isn't such a den of iniquity.
The discussion regarding the shooting was whether the shooter was mentally ill. I proposed that evil should not be overlooked, as it is so often dismissed in our culture today. After that people started freaking out and getting offended with church-goers, sin, etc. I was just proposing that mental illness is not the only reason for the murders.

Yes, I hope my husband gets us out of here soon, too. I've lived in a lot of places, 10 moves to be exact, and I have never seen anything like this place. Gosh, I abhor the heat. Challenges strengthen our faith, though, so some good does come from it.

Regarding the shooting, this has caused so much suffering for so many. I just found out one of the young men was actually in my son's class - in the class (and room) right before the shooting took place. I cannot fathom what these parents are going through. Something needs to stop this from happening again. But, with this divisiveness and vitriol, as is illustrated in this forum, I don't have a lot of confidence anything will get accomplished.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:16 PM

311 posts, read 214,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Yet, by your own words, your child is enrolled in public education at UNCC. Interesting dichotomy, I would have though Duke, Davidson, Princeton.. etc.
A lot of factors went into this decision, with the main one being MONEY, if you must know. We are not rich and cannot afford the above schools. He wanted to go to Belmont Abbey, but they did not have his course of study. He wanted to live at home and not go away, so this was the best option. Plus, his faith foundation was laid during his formative years, as was his primary education. We are not thrilled with the quality of education, but, it's the best we can do right now. Thanks for being so concerned.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Something needs to stop this from happening again. But, with this divisiveness and vitriol, as is illustrated in this forum, I don't have a lot of confidence anything will get accomplished.
I think you are confusing conversation and debate as action.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
A lot of factors went into this decision, with the main one being MONEY, if you must know. We are not rich and cannot afford the above schools. He wanted to go to Belmont Abbey, but they did not have his course of study. He wanted to live at home and not go away, so this was the best option. Plus, his faith foundation was laid during his formative years, as was his primary education. We are not thrilled with the quality of education, but, it's the best we can do right now. Thanks for being so concerned.
I didn't ask about your decision making process or your financial situation, only stated the fact for other to see when evaluating your wide ranging convictions.

My son and several of his acquaintances were also on campus with your child. I wish we could have prevented it as a society. BUT, mental illnesses and weapons make a terrible combination and unfortunately two individuals paid the ultimate price.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 PM

819 posts, read 638,939 times
Whatever you do don't suggest it's always a social misfit who does it... That's just silly...

Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Sadly, one of the fatalities, Ellis "Reed" Parlier was a graduate of the Central Academy of Technology and Arts in Monroe, which is located right behind my development. What a tragedy for his family and our community. He was a gifted computer programmer and helped middle school kids.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,310,888 times
I thought WBTV and WSOC did an excellent job covering a challenging breaking news story. Their news choppers had the advantage, but I think WSOC had the most up to date coverage, with reporters first in all the right places. And good sensitivity to a traumatic event, and good perspective from veteran crime reporter Glenn Counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte