U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 AM
NDL

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Other than the fact that this was essentially random which most of the others are not, this one is different because it seems the shooter intended to kill far more than 2 people. Thankfully it seems one of the victims, Riley Howell, prevented that - https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/un...ell/index.html
A special honor should be given to honor the memory of the deceased. It was a tough thing to read the article that you linked to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Perhaps study what New York City or Austin Texas does. Their homicide rates are a third and quarter of what Charlotte's are, among the biggest cities. You've missed tonight's shooting BTW. It occurred near the University, just about the time of the memorial there. The count is up to 45.
Having been a resident of NYC, I don't have to study what the City does: the composition of the City is very different than that of Charlotte, which yields drastically different results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
A lot of the other murders that have happened thus far in Charlotte are drug, gang or domestic related. What makes this different to those that don't have adult children attending UNCC is that those kids weren't apart of a drug deal or a gang fight, they were someone's kid trying to get an education. Yes, criminals are someone's kid but you break the law and do illegal stuff and there are consequences. The consequence of learning shouldn't be death.
I respectfully disagree; shootings between gang members almost always include collateral damage.

Off of memory, I recall a shootout in a Plaza Midwood/Shamrock area, in which a stray bullet almost struck a school bus driver, as he/she drove their bus route.

I also recall a stray bullet hitting a 6-8 year old child, in an incident that happened off of 160, near the airport.

There are incidences of collateral damage in shootouts between gang members, and very few people take notice, and/or show any empathy, for the victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 AM

165 posts, read 58,317 times
Quote:
That is simply not true. He also has Autism.
Where is your source of information on his autism? This is not typical of autism.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 684 times
Quote:
That is simply not true. He also has Autism.
Autism doesn't make people shot people

Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Good post. I was reading this thread yesterday and started to post but stopped myself. I was reading the comments and thought about how futile it is to even discuss this stuff anymore. People are too invested in their own dogma to have an honest discussion about just about anything these days.

I don't know that I would say they are treated with callousness or frivolity but, more just accepted almost as a cost of doing business. The other thing is most of these other murders have some semi-understandable motivation. Robbery, crime of passion, gang violence, etc... a lot of them are localized to areas you can pretty much avoid or at least exercise heightened awareness if you need to be in those areas. I think another aspect is that these type of murders are as old as time and aren't going away regardless of what we do.

The mass and school shootings on the other hand are generally so jarring because the motivation seems to be only to do the most evil thing you can accomplish in area where people are not expecting it. It seems most of these shooters feel like life has screwed them over and all they want to is flip the table over versus going on playing the game. I personally think we see this in the frequency we do in large part due to the coverage they receive. These people like the idea of being a super villain and figure if "I can't be known for something good, I'll be famous for something awful." I'm not sure how you even begin to fix that.

I think it's the aspect that it can happen to anyone anywhere that has people generally removed from situation commenting on how it has to be fixed. I get the sentiment but, it seems most of these people are just reacting at a surface level without really thinking through how complex of a problem this is, what is really the root cause and how would you even begin to fix the issue.
Excellent post, and I think that you hit the nail on the head:

"The mass and school shootings on the other hand are generally so jarring because the motivation seems to be only to do the most evil thing you can accomplish in area where people are not expecting it."

So...what's the solution?

As thoughtful as a psychological or sociological approach might be, I don't think that this approach will mitigate threats, real or perceived, from society. If you rewrite policy, or draft a new set of laws, the criminal will find a workaround. The nature of criminal activity is one that is not a respecter of laws.

As you thoughtfully noted, the solution comes by treating this issue at the root, since a criminal will use whatever means that's available at his/her disposal. If a gun is available, they will use that in the commission of a crime; if it's a knife, they'll use that, and so on.

In the past five or so years, there have been incidences whereupon homicidal maniacs drove their car(s) into scores of pedestrians walking on sidewalks.

This problem must be treated at the root. Unfortunately, many of the implemented solutions haven't helped to mitigate the problem; for decades, we've utilized tools such as after school programs, adult/youth mentoring, etc.

If we haven't had success in approaching this problem through scientific means, in what other way can we mitigate these threats to society?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
Where is your source of information on his autism? This is not typical of autism.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uncc-sh...ay-2019-05-01/

Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumbo420 View Post
Autism doesn't make people shot people

Yes, I know but mental issues do. I'm not saying the shooter had mental issues but Autism is a developmental disorder that impairs the ability to communicate and interact. It will be interesting to see how his autism played a part in all of this.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 AM
NDL

Quote:
Yes, I know but mental issues do. I'm not saying the shooter had mental issues but Autism is a developmental disorder that impairs the ability to communicate and interact. It will be interesting to see how his autism played a part in all of this.
How do we know that his autism played *any* role in this?

As much as this sounds overly simplistic, why couldn't it be reasoned that the shooter was simply a bad person, with bad motives?

Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
How do we know that his autism played *any* role in this?

As much as this sounds overly simplistic, why couldn't it be reasoned that the shooter was simply a bad person, with bad motives?
There's always a reason that goes beyond he or she is a bad person and evil. If we can get to the root of the why, perhaps we can stop these school shootings from happening.

I'm talking school shootings only in this thread. It's generally young males that are doing it. Is there a common denominator that emerges? I don't think that any of them were just plain evil there was always something more to it.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 PM

7,436 posts, read 7,984,410 times
Like i mentioned in the synagogue Thread, the one common theme in all this is "No Girlfriends No Relationships"
When i was 19/20 in college, i was out having sex and having a good time with my buddies on a Saturday afternoon not, online blaming other people for my short comings and planing Mass murders
What happen to our kids, what did we do wrong
My Heart goes out to The Families and Community

Old 05-02-2019, 12:15 PM

185 posts, read 39,006 times
He needs to have a rope around his neck before the sun sets TODAY. Then his brain needs to be put into a pickle jar so mental sickness doctors can study it. TODAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte