U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 12:28 PM

5,542 posts, read 6,651,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
He needs to have a rope around his neck before the sun sets TODAY. Then his brain needs to be put into a pickle jar so mental sickness doctors can study it. TODAY!

Sure ...that will solve a lot!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM

159 posts, read 32,870 times
Its called giving justice to the victims.. Its more about them than the killer. Get a rope

Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM
NDL

3,104 posts, read 3,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
There's always a reason that goes beyond he or she is a bad person and evil. If we can get to the root of the why, perhaps we can stop these school shootings from happening.

I'm talking school shootings only in this thread. It's generally young males that are doing it. Is there a common denominator that emerges? I don't think that any of them were just plain evil there was always something more to it.
I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, but I couldn't disagree with you more, in that "there's always a reason that goes beyond he or she is a bad person and evil. If we can get to the root of the why, perhaps we can stop these school shootings from happening."

Unfortunate life circumstances happen to everyone; they're unavoidable. But an individual's *character* is the determining factor as to how he/she will *react* to whatever circumstance life has dealt.

But, let's say for the sake of argument that my argument is overly simplistic; that the character of a person has no bearing on their behavior. How would you handle the situation?

In a college setting, many things can cause hurt feelings. As it stands, we have "hugging parties" and "consolation rooms;" school councilors, etc. The shooter did not avail himself of the opportunities that were there.

Supposing that the shooter was/is mentally ill, again, the murder of innocent college students shows me that the shooter did not avail himself of opportunities that are currently in place. Now what?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:59 PM

156 posts, read 52,518 times
He would certainly be on the high end of the spectrum. There are so many reasons that this is not typical of someone autistic. Firstly, the sheer sound of firing weapons is intolerable for practically all autistic people. And, the planning and venturing into a crowd of people to fire the weapon is contradictory to autistic spectrum behavior. I wonder if the person doing the diagnosis on this guy might have screwed up and simply assigned a label for an unidentifiable condition. I'm not saying that it is impossible, just extremely unlikely and untypical. Thanks Riley09swb for the posting. When I was in grad school (with a psych major), we studied and visited autistic students, patients in halfway houses, and special and regular schools where inclusion was practiced. Aggression isn't something that one sees much in the condition. I learned that not too long ago when autism wasn't a well known phenomena, the condition was simply called "minimum brain dysfunction." I'm not ranting again. Sorry.

Last edited by Jewkranian; 05-02-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 05:35 PM

21,795 posts, read 27,055,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Yes, I know but mental issues do. I'm not saying the shooter had mental issues but Autism is a developmental disorder that impairs the ability to communicate and interact. It will be interesting to see how his autism played a part in all of this.
Riley, my sister and brother-in-law taught in a small special ed school in South Jersey for 36 years. They had students who couldn't be mainstreamed. Occasionally they would get an autistic child who was violent. My sister would immediately have the student tested, as she was the head teacher. There was always another problem found. Then she had the student transferred to the nearest school for students with behavioral problems. Autism doesn't mean violent.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:21 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,845,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Like i mentioned in the synagogue Thread, the one common theme in all this is "No Girlfriends No Relationships"
When i was 19/20 in college, i was out having sex and having a good time with my buddies on a Saturday afternoon not, online blaming other people for my short comings and planing Mass murders
What happen to our kids, what did we do wrong
My Heart goes out to The Families and Community
You’re really onto something with this and most people don’t realize it. A seemingly growing number of young men these days are depressed/lonely/bitter about being ignored by women and excluded from dating/social activities. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that is the case with this guy.

Social media has changed the way people interact and date these days and a lot more young men are being left out of the dating game than in generations past. There was a recent report that came out saying a whopping 30% of them weren’t having sex at all. That can drive a young guy insane.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:09 AM

156 posts, read 52,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Riley, my sister and brother-in-law taught in a small special ed school in South Jersey for 36 years. They had students who couldn't be mainstreamed. Occasionally they would get an autistic child who was violent. My sister would immediately have the student tested, as she was the head teacher. There was always another problem found. Then she had the student transferred to the nearest school for students with behavioral problems. Autism doesn't mean violent.
Autistic kids can lose their tempers and respond inappropriately. For example, my stepson is high level autistic and quite often, his step brothers pick on him which is normal with kids. He will get mad and react like any other kid and chase one or call him a unintelligent (funny) name in anger, but it is forgotten history five minutes later. The thing that normally sets those with autism aside from those that aren't autistic is that it is extremely unlikely for him/her to make a plan to go to a "social" environment like a school for some type of revenge or premeditated violence. There are too many non-typical facets involved. As you say, "autism doesn't mean violent." The most extreme form of violence is self-destruction, i.e. head banging, etc.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:38 AM

3,391 posts, read 3,178,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
You’re really onto something with this and most people don’t realize it. A seemingly growing number of young men these days are depressed/lonely/bitter about being ignored by women and excluded from dating/social activities. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that is the case with this guy.

Social media has changed the way people interact and date these days and a lot more young men are being left out of the dating game than in generations past. There was a recent report that came out saying a whopping 30% of them weren’t having sex at all. That can drive a young guy insane.
I think it's more about the social issues they face through the years that leads them to go down this path. They might have been continually picked on which leads them to want to spend more to alone which leads them down this path.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 3,178,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I realize that Autism doesn't mean violent. I know some kids with Autism and in one particularly it means impulsive.

Autism also means a problem with their executive function (reasoning and problem solving) So if there was a problem, this is how he decided to solve it.

The red flags to me are that he planned this and settled on this location. I wouldn't think that he would be so organized that he could plan this though there are varying degrees of being on the spectrum.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 AM

5,542 posts, read 6,651,640 times
Maybe he was a sociopath with Asperger's. It's not like we have his shrink's medical records to gaze at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte