Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:38 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Then why isn't something being done for the "social misfits"? They could have social programs set up in middle school to help combat the rejection and bullying that happens.

I'm a parent of a child with a processing delay and he struggles socially. It's hard to see what he goes through at times as kids can be *******s especially when it comes to other kids that are "different".
Because virtue signaling is as close as the public gets to caring.. Why do you think nothing is done about human trafficking and homelessness? Charities and organizations for those basically pay mortgages for staffers.. It's all a joke..

The same applies for people with asperger syndrome, clinical depression, social anxiety etc...

Why don't you join me in watching everyone pretend to be confused as to why someone would do a mass shooting because they don't want to change? Locking people out of the economy over social or ethnic bias or trying to push them out of a college is going to tend to create discontent.. Lying about reality won't change that..

Last edited by TJJT; 05-04-2019 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 06:34 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Then why isn't something being done for the "social misfits"? They could have social programs set up in middle school to help combat the rejection and bullying that happens.

I'm a parent of a child with a processing delay and he struggles socially. It's hard to see what he goes through at times as kids can be *******s especially when it comes to other kids that are "different".
I see this issue differently than you, in that I see a lot of accommodation being made for people with special needs. Now...if the current offerings are more of a token gesture, that's something different, but there is a great deal of effort made by people in education (at least as was my experience in NY).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Because virtue signaling is as close as the public gets to caring.. Why do you think nothing is done about human trafficking and homelessness? Charities and organizations for those basically pay mortgages for staffers.. It's all a joke..

The same applies for people with asperger syndrome, clinical depression, social anxiety etc...

Why don't you join me in watching everyone pretend to be confused as to why someone would do a mass shooting because they don't want to change? Locking people out of the economy over social or ethnic bias or trying to push them out of a college is going to tend to create discontent.. Lying about reality won't change that..
I agree 100%.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I see this issue differently than you, in that I see a lot of accommodation being made for people with special needs. Now...if the current offerings are more of a token gesture, that's something different, but there is a great deal of effort made by people in education (at least as was my experience in NY).

I agree 100%.
There are a lot of accommodations in the classroom (academic) wise for kids with disabilities but not socially. My kids teacher tells them to work out themselves. So the same kid gets away with his behavior over and over and it's just not with my kid either.

I tell my daughter who is a neurotypical child how to handle the girl that in her class but what I tell her doesn't help my son with his issue. I know that this is a part of life and he has to handle it and he will find a way to deal with it in a healthy way. My husband and I make sure that we talk to him so he doesn't hold his feelings in. We get him involved in team sports. We do all this because I never want my son to feel so lonely that he thinks the only way is to shoot up a school to get back at those that were cruel to him.

I believe in karma. I tell my son that it doesn't matter about popularity. Do well in school and get into a college (or a trade if that's what you're interested in) and find your passion and be happy and successful. That's what matters.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:22 PM
NDL

Quote:
There are a lot of accommodations in the classroom (academic) wise for kids with disabilities but not socially. My kids teacher tells them to work out themselves. So the same kid gets away with his behavior over and over and it's just not with my kid either.

I tell my daughter who is a neurotypical child how to handle the girl that in her class but what I tell her doesn't help my son with his issue. I know that this is a part of life and he has to handle it and he will find a way to deal with it in a healthy way. My husband and I make sure that we talk to him so he doesn't hold his feelings in. We get him involved in team sports. We do all this because I never want my son to feel so lonely that he thinks the only way is to shoot up a school to get back at those that were cruel to him.

I believe in karma. I tell my son that it doesn't matter about popularity. Do well in school and get into a college (or a trade if that's what you're interested in) and find your passion and be happy and successful. That's what matters.
That's sage advice

As for this situation, the only way that any "program" is effective is through participation.

The shooter had the means to reach out to someone, but he chose not to. I know of adults who mentor young adults, and there are many programs that the shooter could've availed himself of. He chose not to. Therefore, incorporating more programs into the mix may not be the solution.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
That's sage advice

As for this situation, the only way that any "program" is effective is through participation.

The shooter had the means to reach out to someone, but he chose not to. I know of adults who mentor young adults, and there are many programs that the shooter could've availed himself of. He chose not to. Therefore, incorporating more programs into the mix may not be the solution.

There aren't at the elementary or middle School level. Maybe this is when it all began. That's my point. Start earlier. I still haven't heard motive. Let's be clear though I'm not defending the shooter at all. What he did was wrong and horrible.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 AM

What are the "accommodations" forcing everyone to not shame someone for having a quiet personality or one of the common mental issues? I highly doubt that..

This is what I was talking about.. People know what is causing the stuff they just consider addressing mental illness and discrimination a last resort.. Not shaming someone for being too quiet is un-American...

Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM
NDL

Quote:
There aren't at the elementary or middle School level. Maybe this is when it all began. That's my point. Start earlier. I still haven't heard motive. Let's be clear though I'm not defending the shooter at all. What he did was wrong and horrible.
I don't know how to nicely say this (my preface comes as a result of not wanting to sound snarky or condescending):

The only way that social programs can have an affect on *all* individuals, is by making them mandatory.

If someone doesn't want to avail themselves of help, you could offer them all the help in the world, but it won't work.

In the meantime, threats such as this one need to be dealt with. If UNC had armed security, the threat would be mitigated at the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
What are the "accommodations" forcing everyone to not shame someone for having a quiet personality or one of the common mental issues? I highly doubt that..

This is what I was talking about.. People know what is causing the stuff they just consider addressing mental illness and discrimination a last resort.. Not shaming someone for being too quiet is un-American...
No one knows that mental illness is the culprit.

The shooter could simply be thin skinned.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know how to nicely say this (my preface comes as a result of not wanting to sound snarky or condescending):

The only way that social programs can have an affect on *all* individuals, is by making them mandatory.

If someone doesn't want to avail themselves of help, you could offer them all the help in the world, but it won't work.

In the meantime, threats such as this one need to be dealt with. If UNC had armed security, the threat would be mitigated at the start.

I'm thinking things like buddy tables at the elementary level and something similiar and age appropriate for the middle School level. Inclusion not exclusion.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Nice non-argument..

It's kind of hard to hide what all the mass shooters who were not religious fanatics had in common.. You can only walk on an individual so much before they respond, and you'll never remove that aspect of American culture. This is why I say I'm surprised it doesn't happen more..

Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
We have one of the worst school system’s in the world. Really? CMS has 4 high schools among the best 20 in NC, and 13 among the best 100 in NC. CMS has 4 high schools among the top 700 in America, and 10 among the top 2500 high schools in America. This according to a study by US News and World Report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte