Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the anecdotes from my fellow posters whose family remained safe throughout this ordeal, and I have a heavy heart for the families of the deceased.

At the risk of sounding crass, I can't help but note some of the reactions surrounding this event (on and off the forum). Outside of the folks whose son/daughter attends UNC, I find odd the cries of some who proclaim that 'something must be done!'

Ours is a City with forty four homicides to date, yet most of this is met with indifference and apathy:

"Charlotte is a CITY; it's not Mayberry"

"I've never been a victim of a crime in Charlotte"

"The victim knew the shooter"

Yada, yada, yada.

Why are the other homicide victims in Charlotte treated with such callousness and frivolity? Outside of a Parent with a son/daughter who attends UNC - which would make their concern justified - what makes this shooting different than all the others?

And them comes the dictum: "something MUST be done!"

Okay...the shooter broke the law; in fact, he likely broke several laws. If we pass more laws, he will likely break those as well.

What's the solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I appreciate the anecdotes from my fellow posters whose family remained safe throughout this ordeal, and I have a heavy heart for the families of the deceased.

At the risk of sounding crass, I can't help but note some of the reactions surrounding this event (on and off the forum). Outside of the folks whose son/daughter attends UNC, I find odd the cries of some who proclaim that 'something must be done!'

Ours is a City with forty four homicides to date, yet most of this is met with indifference and apathy:

Yada, yada, yada.

Why are the other homicide victims in Charlotte treated with such callousness and frivolity? Outside of a Parent with a son/daughter who attends UNC - which would make their concern justified - what makes this shooting different than all the others?

Okay...the shooter broke the law; in fact, he likely broke several laws. If we pass more laws, he will likely break those as well.

What's the solution?

Perhaps study what New York City or Austin Texas does. Their homicide rates are a third and quarter of what Charlotte's are, among the biggest cities. You've missed tonight's shooting BTW. It occurred near the University, just about the time of the memorial there. The count is up to 45.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Not sure what "transphobia" is, frankly. What's up with all of these newly created words to describe our disordered lifestyles? Amazing how we can give anything and everything a label. I don't think transgender people are committing these heinous acts. This as well as all of the other behaviors I mentioned (and more I didn't) are products of a disordered lifestyle. We all suffer from that - it's called sin. But, no one wants to acknowledge sin, disorder, or that we ALL suffer greatly from it. I think it's undeniable that pop culture, the breakdown of the family, and our permissive and materialistic lifestyles are leading to all of these violent behaviors. (Ever hear of the 7 deadly sins?) I also think the disconnect of our society contributes a great deal. Simple things like manners, civility (even dressing that way), and respect are gone by the wayside. All of these things (manner, civility, respect, etc.) are done our of consideration of others, not ourselves. However, we live in a me-centric (yes, my made up word) where no one else matters. It's all about us, and that ultimately leads to unhappiness.

So, enough of my babbling. I am not "fearful" of transgender people, if that is what you are implying. I completely disagree with their lifestyle, that's all. They have just as much worth as a person as either you or I. So, let's not go assuming something about someone when we know nothing about them.
Quote:

Yada, yada, yada.

What's the solution?
A lot of the other murders that have happened thus far in Charlotte are drug, gang or domestic related. What makes this different to those that don't have adult children attending UNCC is that those kids weren't apart of a drug deal or a gang fight, they were someone's kid trying to get an education. Yes, criminals are someone's kid but you break the law and do illegal stuff and there are consequences. The consequence of learning shouldn't be death.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 AM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
People want to publicly shame and subjugate certain types of people.. I'm amazed this stuff doesn't happen more..

You can be politically correct and lie all you want, but the homeless, welfare, and mass shooter problems are going nowhere.. Especially in America there are a lot of ethnic and social groups that are basically locked out of the economy. The fact we are only seeing major events once or twice a year is impressive.. Wait till some of those groups start leaving their isolated low-income neighborhoods you designated them to when they commit crimes..

Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 AM

231 posts, read 213,789 times
Quote:

Yada, yada, yada.

What's the solution?
Good post. I was reading this thread yesterday and started to post but stopped myself. I was reading the comments and thought about how futile it is to even discuss this stuff anymore. People are too invested in their own dogma to have an honest discussion about just about anything these days.

I don't know that I would say they are treated with callousness or frivolity but, more just accepted almost as a cost of doing business. The other thing is most of these other murders have some semi-understandable motivation. Robbery, crime of passion, gang violence, etc... a lot of them are localized to areas you can pretty much avoid or at least exercise heightened awareness if you need to be in those areas. I think another aspect is that these type of murders are as old as time and aren't going away regardless of what we do.

The mass and school shootings on the other hand are generally so jarring because the motivation seems to be only to do the most evil thing you can accomplish in area where people are not expecting it. It seems most of these shooters feel like life has screwed them over and all they want to is flip the table over versus going on playing the game. I personally think we see this in the frequency we do in large part due to the coverage they receive. These people like the idea of being a super villain and figure if "I can't be known for something good, I'll be famous for something awful." I'm not sure how you even begin to fix that.

I think it's the aspect that it can happen to anyone anywhere that has people generally removed from situation commenting on how it has to be fixed. I get the sentiment but, it seems most of these people are just reacting at a surface level without really thinking through how complex of a problem this is, what is really the root cause and how would you even begin to fix the issue.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 05-02-2019 at 07:57 AM..

Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 AM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
All these mass shooters are either religious fanatics, social misfits, or both.. It's actually not that hard to figure out..

Instead of dealing drugs and robbing like the other demographics America economically and socially alienates they shoot places up.. People pretend they don't know the cause so they don't have to change.. You'll see this thread will be people acting confused or swearing some politically correct reason..

Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:

Yada, yada, yada.

Other than the fact that this was essentially random which most of the others are not, this one is different because it seems the shooter intended to kill far more than 2 people. Thankfully it seems one of the victims, Riley Howell, prevented that - https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/un...ell/index.html

Old 05-02-2019, 08:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Other than the fact that this was essentially random which most of the others are not, this one is different because it seems the shooter intended to kill far more than 2 people. Thankfully it seems one of the victims, Riley Howell, prevented that - https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/un...ell/index.html

GoPhils - That is so true! A true hero can always emerge from our darkest moments and that kid exemplifies the very definition.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 3,345 times
all mass shooters are fueled by hatred not mental illness. he deserves no sympathy

Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumbo420 View Post
all mass shooters are fueled by hatred not mental illness. he deserves no sympathy
That is simply not true. He also has Autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte