U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 PM

155 posts, read 52,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here's a helpful hint if you need to go to Spartanburg again. Get on US 74 AKA Franklin Blvd and Wilkinson Blvd. Yes, you'll stop for traffic lights, but you'll be moving.

Normally traffic isn't that bad on the stretch from the state line to 321. It needs to be widened and is all scheduled. You're lucky that there wasn't an accident blocking the road or they would have directed you off I 85 to take a country road through Grover up to downtown Kings Mountain to 74 to York and Chester in Gastonia (321 as local roads in Gastonia)
Thanks. I know other routes, but I just didn't expect such a hellish experience. The torrential rain made it a nightmare. But next time, it is Chester, Kings Mountain, or anything but I-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 12:19 PM

29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Bumper to bumper is a figure of speech for being stuck in traffic. If you were able to drive 80 MPH, you weren't really in traffic.

Edit: IMO, being in bumper to bumper traffic means you were going less than something like 30 MPH or so if it's a 55+ MPH zone. I don't think I've ever driven 30 MPH per less on a highway in NC or SC for 40+ straight miles.
^This.

You want to experience bumper to bumper traffic along 40+ miles of interstate, try driving between Fredericksburg and DC on I-95. Nothing in metro Charlotte can compare to that at any time on any day of the week.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 PM

649 posts, read 508,701 times
Quote:
Bumper to bumper is a figure of speech for being stuck in traffic. If you were able to drive 80 MPH, you weren't really in traffic.

Edit: IMO, being in bumper to bumper traffic means you were going less than something like 30 MPH or so if it's a 55+ MPH zone. I don't think I've ever driven 30 MPH per less on a highway in NC or SC for 40+ straight miles.

From the official source (thefreedictionary.com)...I'd have to side with GoPhils...

1. Traveling close together with bumpers almost touching: The cars were bumper-to-bumper in the tunnel.
2. Moving slowly or stalled as a result of tight spacing between vehicles: bumper-to-bumper traffic.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/bumper-to-bumper

Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM

21,793 posts, read 27,055,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
Thanks. I know other routes, but I just didn't expect such a hellish experience. The torrential rain made it a nightmare. But next time, it is Chester, Kings Mountain, or anything but I-85.
It wouldn't have been hellish, given normal weather. On the other hand, check Google maps for the alternatives that I mentioned. Be aware that a few times a year an accident will result in traffic being rerouted through downtown Kings Mountain. Also, the same situation can happen down in Cherokee County SC. Be aware that US 29 splits off from I 85 and can be a viable alternative.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:40 PM

155 posts, read 52,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
From the official source (thefreedictionary.com)...I'd have to side with GoPhils...

1. Traveling close together with bumpers almost touching: The cars were bumper-to-bumper in the tunnel.
2. Moving slowly or stalled as a result of tight spacing between vehicles: bumper-to-bumper traffic.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/bumper-to-bumper
O.K. So "bumper to bumper" doesn't mean heavy traffic riding on each others arses to you. Fine. The topic was heavy traffic. The term is nebulous. It is not the end of the world. I accept any definition. It's not important enough to hijack the thread.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:28 PM

794 posts, read 627,493 times
I use to sit in that traffic daily going from Davidson to just inside the 485 belt..

It took me well over an hour to go 17 miles..

Old 05-06-2019, 05:38 AM

21,793 posts, read 27,055,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
^This.

You want to experience bumper to bumper traffic along 40+ miles of interstate, try driving between Fredericksburg and DC on I-95. Nothing in metro Charlotte can compare to that at any time on any day of the week.
I've decided that NCDOT takes lessons on idiocy and incompetence from PENNDOT. Of all of the road projects that are actually needed, NCDOT has decided to put in a roundabout between Kings Mountain and Grover.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:52 AM

5,858 posts, read 7,675,459 times
Quote:
O.K. So "bumper to bumper" doesn't mean heavy traffic riding on each others arses to you. Fine. The topic was heavy traffic. The term is nebulous. It is not the end of the world. I accept any definition. It's not important enough to hijack the thread.
You're right, the topic is heavy traffic. To most people, if you can go 80 MPH, you're not in heavy traffic.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 AM

29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Quote:
Nobody's hijacking the thread. Stop being so dramatic.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:51 AM

10,586 posts, read 11,154,208 times
Quote:
You're right, the topic is heavy traffic. To most people, if you can go 80 MPH, you're not in heavy traffic.
Nah, I agree with you about bumper to bumper meaning a traffic jam, but disagree with this. Just took a drive down to Florida and back and that was heavy traffic all the way, but mostly moving. It can be heavy traffic, but not a traffic jam.

Also, is I-77 really the busiest section of highway in NC? Busier than I-95??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or