U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM
 
Location: PVB
3,179 posts, read 1,604,775 times
Reputation: 3672

Advertisements

OMG I drove through Charlotte last week and there was bumper to bumper traffic for 40 MILES. Whats the deal with those toll lanes? Is the point to make traffic so awful on the free road you will have no other option? Does NC need the money that bad? On my return trip at 10PM they had it down to 1 lane, are you kidding me, on of the main N-S roads at 1 lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM
 
165 posts, read 58,317 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
OMG I drove through Charlotte last week and there was bumper to bumper traffic for 40 MILES. Whats the deal with those toll lanes? Is the point to make traffic so awful on the free road you will have no other option? Does NC need the money that bad? On my return trip at 10PM they had it down to 1 lane, are you kidding me, on of the main N-S roads at 1 lane?
No, N.C. doesn't need the money that bad. The money is going to the contractor in Spain. The same contractor screwed up highways in other states as well, i.e. Texas. Construction naturally slows down traffic, but it should improve noticeably in the coming months as lanes open. This is the worst time of the year for driving as well (besides the holidays). I had the wonderful experience of driving from Miami to South Carolina on I-95 this past Saturday. I believe that every Yankee snowbird in Florida was heading north (home) that weekend and talk about nightmarish drivers. They all seemed to be from N.Y. and N.J. and very few knew that slower traffic keeps right in an ideal world. And, the drive from Charlotte to Spartanburg is also a pleasure. I want more trains! I want more trains! Construction and American drivers=a bad combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Reputation: 3366
I don't believe you were in bumper to bumper traffic for 40 miles. That's basically from the SC line to Mooresville. I'd believe being stopped in one 5 mile stretch for 1 hour+, but I don't think I've ever actually seen "bumper to bumper" traffic for that long of a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 03:04 PM
 
165 posts, read 58,317 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't believe you were in bumper to bumper traffic for 40 miles. That's basically from the SC line to Mooresville. I'd believe being stopped in one 5 mile stretch for 1 hour+, but I don't think I've ever actually seen "bumper to bumper" traffic for that long of a stretch.
Bumper to bumper may not have literally been bumper to bumper, but my recent drive to and from Spartanburg was what most would consider bumper to bumper all the between Spartanburg and Gastonia (exit to 321). There was torrential rain and construction. It wasn't normal conditions. Coming back from Florida last weekend, traffic was practically bumper to bumper and going 80 miles per hour. Pretty scary at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 03:21 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Reputation: 3366
80 MPH is not bumper to bumper traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
Bumper to bumper may not have literally been bumper to bumper, but my recent drive to and from Spartanburg was what most would consider bumper to bumper all the between Spartanburg and Gastonia (exit to 321). There was torrential rain and construction. It wasn't normal conditions. Coming back from Florida last weekend, traffic was practically bumper to bumper and going 80 miles per hour. Pretty scary at times.
Here's a helpful hint if you need to go to Spartanburg again. Get on US 74 AKA Franklin Blvd and Wilkinson Blvd. Yes, you'll stop for traffic lights, but you'll be moving.

Normally traffic isn't that bad on the stretch from the state line to 321. It needs to be widened and is all scheduled. You're lucky that there wasn't an accident blocking the road or they would have directed you off I 85 to take a country road through Grover up to downtown Kings Mountain to 74 to York and Chester in Gastonia (321 as local roads in Gastonia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,658 posts, read 1,851,170 times
Reputation: 1478
What’s going on with 77? Busiest stretch of highway in the state, only 3 lanes on each side, add in lanes being blocked for construction, recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM
 
986 posts, read 737,896 times
Reputation: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
What’s going on with 77? Busiest stretch of highway in the state, only 3 lanes on each side, add in lanes being blocked for construction, recipe for disaster.

It'll get better. The state has agreed to not build general purpose lanes for only a few more years. Fifty if I recall correctly .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 12:06 PM
 
165 posts, read 58,317 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
80 MPH is not bumper to bumper traffic
Not it isn't, but at 80 mph, 2 to 3 car lengths behind the next car is certainly equivalent to bumper to bumper. Bumper to bumper isn't a literal term. There is always some space otherwise it is a crash or some very close parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewkranian View Post
Not it isn't, but at 80 mph, 2 to 3 car lengths behind the next car is certainly equivalent to bumper to bumper. Bumper to bumper isn't a literal term. There is always some space otherwise it is a crash or some very close parking.
Bumper to bumper is a figure of speech for being stuck in traffic. If you were able to drive 80 MPH, you weren't really in traffic.

Edit: IMO, being in bumper to bumper traffic means you were going less than something like 30 MPH or so if it's a 55+ MPH zone. I don't think I've ever driven 30 MPH per less on a highway in NC or SC for 40+ straight miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top