Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 02:24 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times

Advertisements

At school, we are having a month long penny war to raise money for the Relay for Lfe. Well, our chairperson decided each teacher is in charge of counting and cashing in their own class's change because it took her 45 minutes to cash in her classroom's change alone (one week's worth). She took hers to the SECU branch by her house (in Spencer-Rowan county). So, I bank with BB&T. Does anyone know if any of the LKN branches (Mooresville, Cornelius, even Huntersville) have a change counter they will let me use? If not, do any of the local SECU branches have one? I will create an account if I have to.
My class has filled up two large containers and I have nothing else to put it in! So, I need to empty them out.

If this is a dumb question and they all have change counters, I'm sorry! My old credit union in Michigan required you to go to a certain branch for change. None of the other locations had counters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 02:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
It's not a dumb question.....call your local branch and explain the circumstances and they will be able to answer your question.

When we banked at BOA they would not count our change and we have not had need of the service since switching to BB&T. Even if it against their policy to count change for customers, they may make an exception for a school fund raiser. It never hurts to ask.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:44 PM

I keep meaning to call, but I seem to always remember about 7:00 pm Hard to call then, LOL.

F&M bank (the bank nearest our school) doesn't have a counter, but will give us rollers. However, that will take a long time. I have two of those giant pretzel containers (equivalent to about 3 gallons I think) full of change, mostly pennies. I can barely lift them. So, rolling is a last result!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:47 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I keep meaning to call, but I seem to always remember about 7:00 pm Hard to call then, LOL.

F&M bank (the bank nearest our school) doesn't have a counter, but will give us rollers. However, that will take a long time. I have two of those giant pretzel containers (equivalent to about 3 gallons I think) full of change, mostly pennies. I can barely lift them. So, rolling is a last result!
Harris Teeter has a change machine, that prints out a reciept that you cash it.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Harris Teeter has a change machine, that prints out a reciept that you cash it.
Yeah, but they charge 8.9 cents per dollar. At least that is what Coinstar charged when I worked at a store that had one. There IS a free mode for the store to use, but it is issued as credit. They wouldn't be able to give me the cash for it.

Thank you though!!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I do not recollect seeing one at secu branch in Cornelius (there is no branch in Huntersville), but if you are a member they will be glad to do it for you.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
The SECU is the only one I know of that does it for free (as long as you have an account).

Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
why not have the kids count and roll since it is their project?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Well, I have though about that. It would take us a long time, and frankly, I don't trust them all to count the pennies accurately. I have a few that have the attention span of a gnat....

Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
You can pick up a coin sorting machine very inexpensively at walmart, target, etc and let the kids keep it in the classroom so they can always have it at their disposal. This sounds like an ongoing project.
They have basic types which you just fill slots with the correct amount of change and then transfer to a coin wrapper or they have the battery operated kind that have the wrapper in them, the kids drop the coins on top and they sort into the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte