Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 06:21 AM

26 posts, read 108,076 times

Advertisements

What area on the numbered map for real estate is this area, all of 5? or just parts?

How about names of neighborhoods with pools?

As far as taxes being "high" in that area, what's considered high for this area? We are coming from MA, taxes are quite high, and have lived in NY, outside of NYC, where taxes were ridiculous.

Can you find a 4 br home in Ballantyne for around $300,000?

How does this area compare to Matthews, as far as schools, crime, etc? I was really drawn to Matthews, just by doing internet research on the town. However, as DH speaks with co-workers from his new office in Charlotte, they are steering him towards Ballantyne over Matthews, with a top concern being the traffic going to work from Matthews. His office will be on Timber SPrings Drive

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
Ballantyne Country Club is in area 5/7 -- the houses there usually start in the mid 600s. You would be able to get into the Ballantyne area (south Charlotte) though, in your price range -- perhaps check areas 5/5, 5/6, 5/7 and even perhaps 5/8.

Many of the neighborhoods have pools. Try Thornhill, Stone Creek Ranch, and Southampton.

And I totally understand your taxes question. I think the taxes will be better than what you are used to -- taxes will likely be under $3500

Schools in south Charlotte include Hawk Ridge, Endhaven, McAlpine and McKee elementaries; JM Robinson, South Charlotte and Community House Middle Schools; and Providence and Ardrey Kell High schools. Check http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ for school reports.

I'm not sure where on Timber Springs the job is, but looking at a map it seems Matthews would be the closer commute.

Best of luck to you and please let me know if I can help

Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discover5 View Post
What area on the numbered map for real estate is this area, all of 5? or just parts?

How about names of neighborhoods with pools?

As far as taxes being "high" in that area, what's considered high for this area? We are coming from MA, taxes are quite high, and have lived in NY, outside of NYC, where taxes were ridiculous.

How does this area compare to Matthews, as far as schools, crime, etc? I was really drawn to Matthews, just by doing internet research on the town. However, as DH speaks with co-workers from his new office in Charlotte, they are steering him towards Ballantyne over Matthews, with a top concern being the traffic going to work from Matthews. His office will be on Timber SPrings Drive

Thanks for any advice
Not sure why you husbands co-workers are saying Ballantye would be closer to Timber Springs, as it most surely would NOT be (unless we are not talking about Timber Springs off of Monroe rd?) That road is just about 2 miles from the Matthews city limits.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM

26 posts, read 108,076 times
Thanks for the responses, helpful as always.
Yes, his office will be off of Monroe, and we were both puzzled as to why he was told by several people that traffic will be a nightmare on the roads out of Matthews, and suggested the Ballantyne area instead? When we looked at the map and the suggested route to his office on mapquest, it took us through matthews from Ballantyne to get there.

Is there something undesirable about Matthews? From what I read here, it seems like a good place for a family, with schools that are not super overcrowded. We currently live in a very small town, two traffic lights, one chain grocery store (which was a BIG deal when it went in), 25 minutes to a very, very small mall, 35-40 minutes to a pretty big mall and strip mall area. A super wal mart in the next town (15 min). So, I don't need to live in a city type atmosphere, Matthews looked quite booming to me compared to where we are now.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 AM

218 posts, read 253,796 times
Quote:

Thanks for any advice
Yeah I remember you asking in another thread the distance from Indian Trail to Timber Springs Dr. I'm suprised they are steering you to Ballantyne due to traffic. If you lived in Matthews, you'd actually be a lot closer to Timber Springs Dr. It is located just past McAlpine Creek Park on Monroe Rd. Going south on Monroe turns into John St, which runs through the heart of downtown Matthews. You'd be dealing with a lot more traffic coming from Ballantyne!

Old 12-19-2006, 12:01 PM

218 posts, read 253,796 times
Quote:
Yes, his office will be off of Monroe, and we were both puzzled as to why he was told by several people that traffic will be a nightmare on the roads out of Matthews, and suggested the Ballantyne area instead? When we looked at the map and the suggested route to his office on mapquest, it took us through matthews from Ballantyne to get there.

Is there something undesirable about Matthews? From what I read here, it seems like a good place for a family, with schools that are not super overcrowded. We currently live in a very small town, two traffic lights, one chain grocery store (which was a BIG deal when it went in), 25 minutes to a very, very small mall, 35-40 minutes to a pretty big mall and strip mall area. A super wal mart in the next town (15 min). So, I don't need to live in a city type atmosphere, Matthews looked quite booming to me compared to where we are now.
You must have posted this right as I started posting my last answer. You are 100% correct. The traffic argument with Ballantyne is not valid for your situation.

There is NOTHING undesireable about Matthews. It's a great area, appreciates well, and has decent schools when comparing them to the rest of CMS. It's residents take a lot of pride in the area.

Last edited by Charlotte ePro; 12-19-2006 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-19-2006, 12:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:

Matthews is VERY desirable. The ONLY thing I can think of bad about it is that the roads leading in an out of it are mostly 2 lane country roads and the further out toward Union county you live the more backup you deal with getting into to Charlotte for work. I think I suggested to you once before to try to stay "inside hwy 51". If you did that you could still have a Matthews address but a much quicker commute.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:35 PM

64 posts, read 237,701 times
There are some great neighborhoods off of Weddington Rd. that are short cuts through the area of Matthews. Of course the Ballantyne area is great (rte521) to 485 you can hop to Matthews. Some neighborhoods with pools in union county ( Quellin, Cureton, there are 2 neighborhoods off of rte 16 that have pools by Ryan and Ryland but I can't remember the name of the neighborhoods)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte