Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,572 times

Advertisements

According to Local Recruiter Bessire & Associates, local recruiting and job fairs have had less response, though the unemployment rate is high.

From The Charlotte Observer's Economic Reporter, Kirsten Valle:

Quote:
The good news: Now, more than any other time in the last two years, companies are hiring, according to Charlotte recruiting company Bessire & Associates Inc.

The bad news: Applicants are hard to come by.

Read more: http://kvalleobs.blogspot.com/2010/04/mixed-signals-on-jobs-recovery.html#ixzz0labR36db

Sales positions seem to be available in a variety of industries. If you are unemployed, how are you personally seeking a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,177 times
Are people just giving up and are tired of putting their resumes out there?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Are people just giving up and are tired of putting their resumes out there?
True. People have given up and are waiting for the economy to recover.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:25 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,867 times
Don't be taken by what Bessire & Associates has to say. They put on job fairs and have companies like Aflac, ADT and others who hire sales reps on commission basis only. Most of these are not salaried jobs. People are tired of going to these job fairs and seeing the same companies who churn and burn out the associates real quick.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
I don't think any body that is unemployed would just give up and not keep his resume out there. Unless your unemployment check is big enough to cover your expenses, I don't see why giving up is an answer. Since I moved to CLT over two years ago, I have been working as a contractor, no benefits, no room for professional advancement. A month ago I finally landed a full time job, with a good company. I sent out my resume at least once every other day. I was fortunate enough to be able to turn down some offers that were not acceptable, until I was offered a good job.
Things are turning around, but very slowly. Local companies are hiring again, but not as much as we would like them to.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I don't think any body that is unemployed would just give up and not keep his resume out there. Unless your unemployment check is big enough to cover your expenses, I don't see why giving up is an answer. Since I moved to CLT over two years ago, I have been working as a contractor, no benefits, no room for professional advancement. A month ago I finally landed a full time job, with a good company. I sent out my resume at least once every other day. I was fortunate enough to be able to turn down some offers that were not acceptable, until I was offered a good job.
Things are turning around, but very slowly. Local companies are hiring again, but not as much as we would like them to.
....and with the internet you can cut down on the walking and paper. It's just a click away, then follow up by phone by saying when can I come in for an interview instead of did you get the resume. Although sometimes hand delivering and in person is usually best sometimes. But at least one can cover so many more positions online. You need to be assertive to almost agressive nowadays.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
....and with the internet you can cut down on the walking and paper. It's just a click away, then follow up by phone by saying when can I come in for an interview instead of did you get the resume. Although sometimes hand delivering and in person is usually best sometimes. But at least one can cover so many more positions online. You need to be assertive to almost agressive nowadays.
It has been my experience that when a person walks in to drop off his resume, without previously being invited for an interview, it is usually looked at in a negative way. It might be different in some companies, but at least in those where I've worked, that has been the experience. But by all means, if getting your foot in the door works for you, then do it, it won't hurt. The worse they can do or say is not to call you up for an interview, which in that case would be their lose.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
It has been my experience that when a person walks in to drop off his resume, without previously being invited for an interview, it is usually looked at in a negative way. It might be different in some companies, but at least in those where I've worked, that has been the experience. But by all means, if getting your foot in the door works for you, then do it, it won't hurt. The worse they can do or say is not to call you up for an interview, which in that case would be their lose.

Or maybe you can ask when interviews are being held. This might come off better. I guess it's all in the wording and your approach.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 PM

154 posts, read 328,601 times
i think it is true many are tired of getting the door slammed in their face over and over or they are just tired of never hearing back. It gets very tiring after a while Once the media starts to talk about positive things with the economy i bet it will start to shed a better light on things!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM

23 posts, read 62,327 times
A job that everyone wants a "sales job"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte