U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:29 PM

15 posts, read 44,912 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of building with Kb home in the new berewick community. any opinions on the community and the builder??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 01:41 PM

218 posts, read 187,367 times
The community is in the NW part of the Steele Creek area, just off of Shopton Rd West. The builders in that community are KB, M/I, McCar, and Shea. You can find a plethorea of infomration on people who have dealt with KB, M/I, and McCar in this very forum. I'd just search for each builder. If I had to pick I would go with Shea. I haven't noticed any negative posts on them here, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The common agreement that everyone on here has with any new builder is, GET IT IN WRITING!

This is a newer community that is nice, but still has a lot of development left to be done. It has a nice clubhouse/pool and such, but it's not exactly close to any kind of shopping etc. You'd have to get on 485, or go all the way down to where westinghouse meets 49 before you see anything.

A neighborhood of the same caliber is Huntington Forest. It has DR Horton, and Shea in it. It's more established, and you can also find a deal on a house that was built in 2004-2005 because the builders are still there. It's also in a lot more convenient location with respects to shopping, entertainment, etc.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,341,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
The community is in the NW part of the Steele Creek area, just off of Shopton Rd West. The builders in that community are KB, M/I, McCar, and Shea. You can find a plethorea of infomration on people who have dealt with KB, M/I, and McCar in this very forum. I'd just search for each builder. If I had to pick I would go with Shea. I haven't noticed any negative posts on them here, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The common agreement that everyone on here has with any new builder is, GET IT IN WRITING!

This is a newer community that is nice, but still has a lot of development left to be done. It has a nice clubhouse/pool and such, but it's not exactly close to any kind of shopping etc. You'd have to get on 485, or go all the way down to where westinghouse meets 49 before you see anything.

A neighborhood of the same caliber is Huntington Forest. It has DR Horton, and Shea in it. It's more established, and you can also find a deal on a house that was built in 2004-2005 because the builders are still there. It's also in a lot more convenient location with respects to shopping, entertainment, etc.
A couple of slight corrections:

This Steele Creek area is actually considered SW Charlotte (not NW)

In regards to the shopping in the immediate area: you might check out Rivergate Shopping Center (I have provided a link telling a little bit about it below). Currently there are such stores as: Home Depot - Super Target - Old Navy - Petsmart - plus several more. As far as dining there is TGIF's - Chick Fil A - Starbucks, etc....and just so you know....one of the best burger and fries around...is right across the street....called Five Guys.

http://www.childressklein.com/ck/aboutUs/newsDetail.sa?details=107 (broken link)

Old 12-19-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
A couple of slight corrections:

This area is actually considered SW Charlotte (not NW)

In regards to the shopping in the immediate area: you might check out Rivergate Shopping Center (I have provided a link telling a little bit about it below). Currently there are such stores as: Home Depot - Super Target - Old Navy - Petsmart - plus several more. As far as dining there is TGIF's - Chick Fil A - Starbucks, etc....and just so you know....one of the best burger and fries around...is right across the street....called Five Guys.

http://www.childressklein.com/ck/aboutUs/newsDetail.sa?details=107 (broken link)
yes, I know it's SW Charlotte. Please note I said NW part of the STEELE CREEK AREA.

Rivergate is 7 miles form Berewick. I wouldn't exaclty call that "immediate area"

Rivergate is in much closer proximity to the other community I recommended, Huntington Forest. That neighborhood is less than 2 miles from Rivergate.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:50 PM

any good news bad news on the builder? I know that every builder has its faults, but KB's price is perfect for us and that location!

Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 PM

If you use the seach feature and look up KB Home or KB builder, you'll find a lot of various threads discussing this. Here is one of the more active ones. I suggest you read through. I have told it to highlight every mention of "KB".

Good/bad homebuilder experiences in Charlotte area?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Thank you! this helps! Although, it just makes me nervous and aware of just about every builder ;-)

Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 PM

249 posts, read 797,517 times
I'm actually building a kbhome in berewick now, closing in a month or so. We've found some things but nothing drastic and most of the current owners in the neighborhood that we have talked to seem pretty happy. You do need to watch them, but that is true for all builders because it really comes down to the sub-contractors rather than kb employees. We will be getting an inspector prior to closing so I will post more when I have that info.

One thing we are concerned about is the proposed Dixie River elementary school is still not funded where I believe HF kids will go to Winget Park (1 year old, nice school). I am currently renting near HF and am not crazy about the neighborhood (about 1-2 miles up the road), we are definitely looking forward to moving into berewick.

Personally, I would consider rivergate in the immediate area... it takes less than 10 minutes and there is little traffic any time of day on the back roads. I also think Berewick is the nicer neighborhood, correct me if i'm wrong but huntington forest will not have anything like what berewick will have. Dont forget that they are going to be putting shops, restaurants, parks etc in berewick.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! we just may be neighbors someday ;-) The only think I am worried about now is how long it will take them to build the house. How long did it take you?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM

249 posts, read 797,517 times
And for the record, I have heard lots of not so great things about mccar and shea on these forums. KB gets some bad publicity imo because they are such a huge company. The majority of the complaints I have seen come out of texas, not to justify it just trying to be clear. I havent really read anything substansive on these forums about them in NC either good or bad.

I'm sure there are better builders out there but kb has a very good price per sq ft price point.

I am very interested in hearing from anyone else building in berewick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte