U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Charlotte: preschool, great education, crime rate, online job boards, news stories

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,693,892 times

Advertisements

You're ready to movie "on a whim" to Charlotte, a place with a fiercely competitive job market, with a three year old and no job lined up. That just boggles my mind.

Unless you're fearing for your kneecaps (or more), you could be making an enormous mistake moving down here without anything lined up. For the sake of your three year old you should seriously rethink your stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,083,061 times
Someone mentioned earlier that things are slow in Charlotte. I can only voice my opinion after having lived in Minneapolis, Columbus, Ohio, Edgewater, New jersey, Denver, and San Francisco. My opinion is that someone just had bad luck. I don't know about the time it took him to get his luggage at the airport, but I was in Charlotte last week and needed immediate attention from Piedmont Natural gas Co., CPI Security, and an air conditioner company. I was amazed that representatives came out within a short period of time without having a previous apointment. The workers were very thorough and patient. I was impressed. I must admit that ADT Security screwed up numerous times (mostly at their home office) resulting in my cancelling my contract with them.

Comparing Charlotte to Ft. Wayne is really comparing two worlds. Charlotte is a bustling city with 50,000 newcomers arriving in the area every year. Charlotte has a metro population of 2.4 million. These factors account for higher insurance rates. There are also plans for improved public transportation, ie., light rail expansion as well as heavy rail. Charlotte is much larger than Ft. Wayne and comparing the two cities are like comparing apples and oranges. Both have advantages and disadvantages for newcomers. Charlotte is like many other larger cities, one should have things lined up before coming, ie., housing, jobs, etc. I live in Florida. Mecklenburg County is a bargin to me.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 7,830 times
I'm intersted in moving to Charlotte from Orlando. I am a new nursing (just graduated). How are salaries for new nurses and what is the housing market look like now. Orlando is awful housing market, everything is over $200 even shacks.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM

672 posts, read 1,213,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Someone mentioned earlier that things are slow in Charlotte. I can only voice my opinion after having lived in Minneapolis, Columbus, Ohio, Edgewater, New jersey, Denver, and San Francisco. My opinion is that someone just had bad luck. I don't know about the time it took him to get his luggage at the airport, but I was in Charlotte last week and needed immediate attention from Piedmont Natural gas Co., CPI Security, and an air conditioner company. I was amazed that representatives came out within a short period of time without having a previous apointment. The workers were very thorough and patient. I was impressed. I must admit that ADT Security screwed up numerous times (mostly at their home office) resulting in my cancelling my contract with them.

Comparing Charlotte to Ft. Wayne is really comparing two worlds. Charlotte is a bustling city with 50,000 newcomers arriving in the area every year. Charlotte has a metro population of 2.4 million. These factors account for higher insurance rates. There are also plans for improved public transportation, ie., light rail expansion as well as heavy rail. Charlotte is much larger than Ft. Wayne and comparing the two cities are like comparing apples and oranges. Both have advantages and disadvantages for newcomers. Charlotte is like many other larger cities, one should have things lined up before coming, ie., housing, jobs, etc. I live in Florida. Mecklenburg County is a bargin to me.
Yeah, seriously just b/c one person had a long wait getting their luggage does not mean that Charlotte should be labeled as a slow city. B/c how do you really judge that anyways? Being that we have traveled around this country and even out of this country there are just some cases where your luggage takes longer to come out, delays, a lot of flights, etc all contribute to this happening. From living in Dallas, TX where everything is a little bit slower paced, I don't feel Charlotte is slow paced at all. And from living in FL, I don't think Charlotte is full of bad drivers as another poster stated. As with anything get a job before you come and also don't just look for a daycare that is the cheapest, as most times you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,481,716 times
Actually, compared to other places I have lived, customer service overall is pretty slow. It's particularly bad if you go to a fast food joint and it takes 12 mins to get an order. Many retail associates (but not all) are like this too. It is weird when I go back to visit WNY and service seems not to be faster, but much more efficient.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 PM

672 posts, read 1,213,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Actually, compared to other places I have lived, customer service overall is pretty slow. It's particularly bad if you go to a fast food joint and it takes 12 mins to get an order. Many retail associates (but not all) are like this too. It is weird when I go back to visit WNY and service seems not to be faster, but much more efficient.
I've never waited long for anything here, (accept for cmpd to respond to calls) surely not 12 minutes at a fast food place. I find that most local companies have excellent, efficient customer service here.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,263,764 times
I know we are getting off-subject here, but I have to chime in briefly on the customer service issue. Although the service at most places is not extremely slow, I have found workers to be rude and often unhelpful. Alot of them act like they are just waiting to get off work so they can go to the club or whatever. I usually avoid the fast food places now though, as well as the retailers in heavily congested areas (Tryon/Harris).

Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 10,273 times
I have no idea where you are and where you have your kids but I live on the south side of fort wayne which is the worst part of fort wayne and have never had any problems with any of the stuff you are talking about with daycares and such. no disrespect to you but you must be going to a crackheads house, not a daycare. My niece and nephews have been put in 4 or 5 different daycares in fort wayne and not once have I had any problems like what you are talking about. If you decide to stay let me know because I will let you know which daycares they enjoyed going to and which ones have done a good job. About charlotte though. My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving there as well but for different reasons. He's a musician and as you know fort wayne is not the place for heavy metal musicians. I've done some research and have found LOTS of job postings as well as affordable living. On average I have found that apartments there are pretty much the same price they are here. I'm sure that just like here the price changes with which area you're willing to live in so the nicer areas will be more and blah blah blah. It's still very comparable to fort wayne. I have talked to numerous bands there and each and every one have said that it is a good place to live and a lot of them have been here to the fort on tour so they can actually compare the two. I'm sure that the people who live there are of more help to you then I am but from my research and the people there who I have talked to it seems like a good place to go. Nothing can be worse then here right. lol I find it funny that two people from the fort are thinking of moving to the same place around the same time. Of all the places in the world. lol Anyway if you want any more info that I have dug up hit me up, i'm more then happy to help ya out if I can. I'm also doing research on other cities as well so if you want to know of anywhere else maybe I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte