U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM

42 posts, read 65,554 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating college in June and will be moving to Charlotte from Ohio. I actually have a few questions/issues, so bear with me...

1. I have a contract offered to me with Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools. If I teach there, I would like to work with at-risk children (possibly in a FOCUS school) in a school with plenty of diversity among the students. I have my list of schools "narrowed down" to the following-- if anyone can comment on any of these schools, that would be great (remember, I want to have somewhat of a challenge, but would like to be in a school with good administrative support and don't want to hate my job after the first year )! I plan on visiting my top few schools, but I am totally lost as to narrowing down this list any further, and I can't possibly visit 20 schools in one weekend...any help eliminating schools from this list would be great!

Thomasboro
Oakdale
Billingsville
Westerly Hills
Hornet's Nest
Joseph W Grier
Allenbrook
Hickory Grove
Villa Heights
Idlewild
Albemarle
Pawtuckett
Nation's Ford
JH Gunn
Newell
Tuckaseegee
Pinewood
Winterfield
Windsor Park
Mountain Island

2. Should I avoid CMS althogether (I've heard that a new teacher can "get lost" in the system) and instead try for a job in Gaston County (my 2nd choice, I think)?

3. Based on which school system you suggest working in, what areas do you suggest I look for apartments in? I want to be close to downtown and work (I'm only 21) and will be living alone until my boyfriend moves down next spring. I've heard to stay away from the west side and from southeast, but if I teach in Gastonia, I'm clueless as to how to be both close to the city, close to work AND safe.

Any help/advice you can offer would be great! Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,182,357 times
I can't speak for CMS, but I can for Gaston County. I went to the Gaston County job fair and after not hearing anything mid-July I panicked. I came back down, went through more interviews and headed back to MI with a job to pack up. However, the first of August through mid September my phone rang like crazy. For whatever reason Gaston county waited untl the last minute to hire.
So, my advice is to not panick!
And, if you end up going to Gaston county, DM me and I can tell you what I know about apartments. I found one I LOVED and I also learned where not to live

Side note: One school in my county has to cut 2 teachers- that scares me

Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM

529 posts, read 1,801,873 times
PM me, I would love to talk to you about working in Union County. I love getting teachers from Ohio. They do a great job training new teachers.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:04 PM

33 posts, read 83,664 times
Check out Irwin Open School too. It is in downtown Charlotte.

As for apartments, this web site is really helpful for this area, Socialserve.com - Find Affordable Housing. Just recently on that site I found a 2 BR 2 BA apartment on Queens Road, a nice safe area, for $550/month and it included utilities. Also found another one just down the street... sort of... right next door to Myers Park Country Club, it had 1 BR and 1 BA for $750/month, all utilities included. If you don't mind living in an older building that doesn't have things like weight rooms and hot tubs, you can really find some great deals in nice areas.

One more thing before I forget, have you checked out the Monroe area schools and Union County? I hear great things about the schools there!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
PM me, I would love to talk to you about working in Union County. I love getting teachers from Ohio. They do a great job training new teachers.
She did say she wants a school with a lot of diversity - CMS would be the place for that, not your area of Union County!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0808 View Post
I'm graduating college in June and will be moving to Charlotte from Ohio. I actually have a few questions/issues, so bear with me...

1. I have a contract offered to me with Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools. If I teach there, I would like to work with at-risk children (possibly in a FOCUS school) in a school with plenty of diversity among the students. I have my list of schools "narrowed down" to the following-- if anyone can comment on any of these schools, that would be great (remember, I want to have somewhat of a challenge, but would like to be in a school with good administrative support and don't want to hate my job after the first year )! I plan on visiting my top few schools, but I am totally lost as to narrowing down this list any further, and I can't possibly visit 20 schools in one weekend...any help eliminating schools from this list would be great!

Thomasboro
Oakdale
Billingsville
Westerly Hills
Hornet's Nest
Joseph W Grier
Allenbrook
Hickory Grove
Villa Heights
Idlewild
Albemarle
Pawtuckett
Nation's Ford
JH Gunn
Newell
Tuckaseegee
Pinewood
Winterfield
Windsor Park
Mountain Island

2. Should I avoid CMS althogether (I've heard that a new teacher can "get lost" in the system) and instead try for a job in Gaston County (my 2nd choice, I think)?

3. Based on which school system you suggest working in, what areas do you suggest I look for apartments in? I want to be close to downtown and work (I'm only 21) and will be living alone until my boyfriend moves down next spring. I've heard to stay away from the west side and from southeast, but if I teach in Gastonia, I'm clueless as to how to be both close to the city, close to work AND safe.

The only thing I do know in regards to this subject is that if you get a job with CMS you are their property meaning you don't always get to pick the school you want and they could move you to a different school and you don't have much of a say in that. So not working for the actual school that you work at seems a bit challenging to me. I am unsure how the other counties around here operate. Good Luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 PM

lovesMountains, you need to look up the demo of East, Porter Ridge, Rocky River, Union, Wingate, and Rock Rest Elementary schools before you make that statement. Both counties have diversity and need.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0808 View Post

Thomasboro
Oakdale
Billingsville
Westerly Hills
Hornet's Nest
Joseph W Grier
Allenbrook
Hickory Grove
Villa Heights
Idlewild
Albemarle
Pawtuckett
Nation's Ford
JH Gunn
Newell
Tuckaseegee
Pinewood
Winterfield
Windsor Park
Mountain Island

Since you are so young and inexperienced I would not recommend you go with Charlotte Mecklenburg schools - YET. It is very admirable that you wish to work with a diverse group of students who are most at risk, but I fear you may bite off more than you can chew if you go with most of the schools you have listed above - which in the long run would leave you frustrated, dissatisfied and maybe even questioning if you want to be a teacher at all.

The truth is, our most troubled schools need VETERAN teachers, not newbies. So here is my advice...look at Cabarrus County (yes, I would recommend that over Gaston County). The school system is MUCH smaller and its problems are more managable. There are schools there that have high numbers of free and reduced lunch students so you could still find at risk kids to work with - just in a better, more well managed environment - not quite so urban as you would find in Charlotte. After a few years of that I would tell you to give Charlotte Mecklenburg schools another look - they really need experienced, dedicated teachers and you would have what it takes by then Best of luck and congrats on graduating!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
lovesMountains, you need to look up the demo of East, Porter Ridge, Rocky River, Union, Wingate, and Rock Rest Elementary schools before you make that statement. Both counties have diversity and need.
Thought you were in the Weddington cluster

No doubt there is some need sprinkled throughout Union county, especially in Monroe City schools!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM

No, I am in Monroe, but you are right... in that cluster (weddington) there is no diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte