U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 PM

92 posts, read 332,637 times

Advertisements

I've applied for a job at Bank of America. Problem is, I have one drinking-related arrest from when I was 18 and in college. I have heard horror stories of people with 20 years experience in banking getting offers rescinded because of minor criminal records from 30 years ago. Can anyone shed light on this? Is there a blanket policy there, or do they actually consider mitigating factors in making hiring decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:40 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,757,443 times
How old are you now? background checks usuallyu only go back 10 years.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM

3,600 posts, read 9,247,953 times
I would not worry too much about it. Usually employers can only use a criminal conviction against you if it demonstates personal traits detrimental to the job you wil be performing.

If you had a DUI and driving was involved in your job then it is a legitimate concern. If you had a fraud or similar financial conviction, then perhaps you might not make the best teller or Vault agent. It would be hard for them to hold a drunk and disorderly against you unless there was a clear pattern of similar behavior or other evidence that you might be more tempted than normal to allow drinking to interfere with your job duties.

It is sometimes true that job offers are made to people that the company would rather not hire but feels pressured in some way to make an offer and these instances background checks are used to find a way to rescind offers or terminate employment. In those cases if the charges were unrelated to work duties, the person affected might have a decent legal action against the company.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 PM

It was about 10 years ago. What I've heard is that BofA uses FBI checks that go back further than that, and has rescinded offers if they find anything more than a parking ticket, not matter how minor.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM

672 posts, read 1,645,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
It was about 10 years ago. What I've heard is that BofA uses FBI checks that go back further than that, and has rescinded offers if they find anything more than a parking ticket, not matter how minor.
I don't think that is true. My husband works in corporate bofa and I have not heard that to be the case.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM

That eases my mind a bit johnrex, no driving was involved, just a disorderly. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,757,443 times
Be honest...my soon to be father in law manages a plant and if someone lies about their background, he won't hire them. If they are forthright and it is something minor and/old, he will consider the applicant. If they find it after you lie about it, it doesn't show honesty, which is what banks seek.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM

I always have been honest about it, and it's never been a problem in my current industry, but I've heard stricter rules apply at BofA.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM

672 posts, read 1,645,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
I always have been honest about it, and it's never been a problem in my current industry, but I've heard stricter rules apply at BofA.
How long have you lived here? I believe they only do a search of your name and current state that you reside in. Did the incident happen here or in another state, b/c if it was in another state it probably won't even show up.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM

It happened here in Charlotte, so that probably won't help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte