U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2007, 04:01 PM

239 posts, read 222,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
That is for sure! LOVE when you get cut off by someone and they give you the bird
Oh, you shouldn't be offended by that. That's just the way drivers there say "hello." If you don't return the gesture, they might think you're rude.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 PM

1,890 posts, read 4,100,165 times
Charlotte has pockets of high crime areas, but South Charlotte is very safe. Unfortunately Charlotte is a very segregated place- I've never been to any of the high crime areas except when I'm driving through. You can live in South Charlotte and it will feel like you are stuck in Leave it Beaver. Personally I hope the hispanic population explodes b/c the mexican food is terrible.
The bad? It's kind of boring. You have to get into golf, fishing, having dinner with friends, etc. Those aren't bad things, but just expect a real "nightlife" or "culture." It's much more traditional- poker nights with the guys, book clubs for women, dinner at the golf club, etc.. In some ways it's like stepping back in time (compared to DC). Again, this is both bad and good.
If you live in South Charlotte or Lake Norman you won't have any serious crime issues.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:31 PM

12 posts, read 36,455 times
I am on Long Island and we have crime and home invasions - not exactly where I live (on the North Shore) but that happens everywhere. I wouldn't gp to the mall at night NO MATTER WHERE I LIVED....

I am looking in UNION COUNTY - anyone know about crime rates?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM

1,890 posts, read 4,100,165 times
"UNION COUNTY"

There are probably a few possum attacks. Sorry to be flippant, but Union county is very safe.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:59 PM

389 posts, read 1,026,084 times
I live just North of the Union County line in Mecklenburg, and I'm everywhere at night. No fear at all. The Exxon about 2 miles away, across from a very nice shopping center, has been robbed a few times, but no place is completely immune. However, it's pretty darn close in S. Charlotte and Union County. The worst things to happen here in the last few years were two awful instances of fathers killing their children. It's beyond tragic, but it doesn't make you fear for your own safety. It just makes you pray for their families and their souls.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 AM

36 posts, read 321,051 times
Resident/LovesMountains -

Thanks for all the help you all are providing. I have a Union County map that contains a detailed map of downtown Charlotte. When it's nice outside we will get in the car and just go. We've landed in Lancaster one time which is a nice little town. Couldn't believe the price of gas down there...$1.89/gal regular...Wow! I believe that in time I'll become more familiar with the area (Duh! you think?) LOL. I do not like the traffic up and down Rt 74 or Old Charlottel Hwy but I have managed to figure out the best time to drive those roads and not get caught up in the RUSH so I'm pretty content...at the moment. Still....as long as I have such wonderful neighbors around me I'll be happy in my new home. Thanks for the history lesson on Charlotte. There really is a whole lot of history down here. And I still want to visit the Biltmore Estate someday. Is there anything other than wine up there? I'm not much of a wine drinker so I'm afraid I'd be wasting my time if I put out the money to stay there. As usual your input is graciously accepted.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM

232 posts, read 489,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
I live just North of the Union County line in Mecklenburg, and I'm everywhere at night. No fear at all. The Exxon about 2 miles away, across from a very nice shopping center, has been robbed a few times, but no place is completely immune. However, it's pretty darn close in S. Charlotte and Union County. The worst things to happen here in the last few years were two awful instances of fathers killing their children. It's beyond tragic, but it doesn't make you fear for your own safety. It just makes you pray for their families and their souls.

Very tragic...we lived up the road from Price Mill (the one father) and the other father lived in Deerfield Creek not too far away who was the Wachovia VP

Old 02-18-2007, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,835 times
That depends what life stage you're in.

Charlotte is a terrific city if you're either married with kids, or nearing retirement. Great weather, a cost of housing that is about 50%+ lower than DC, lower taxes than the NE, less pricey car insurance (although the tax on real property offsets the reduction), good family-oriented neighborhoods, no traffic to speak off. What passes for rush hour is typically a 7 minute blip on I-66. Coming soon are Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. If the latest whatever is more your thing, Neiman's just opened and joins Belk's (terrific flag ship store), Nordstrom's and the usual cast of upscale brands at Southpark Mall.

That said, if you're single and over the age of 30 and below 60, Charlotte may be less your style. It depends whether you went to college either locally or at least somewhere in the South (bonus points for Appalachian State University, UNC, USC or Clemson), can answer to either the name of either Buffy or Bif, and know the meaning of the phrase "...why bless his/her heart....". Keep in mind that the locals tend to marry very young and it is not unusual to find people who are well into their second marriage by the age of 28, often with kids from two different spouses. Did someone say baggage? Finally, there is a reason why CLT is known as the Queen City. Hint: it has nothing to do with being the queen of hearts....

If you're nearing retirement, whether married or single, CLT is terrific. All of the positives plus many, many people from wherever you are from.

If you're from the NYC area, I'd try Ballantyne (28277) or the Lake Norman area. The Californians also go to Lake Norman in droves as well as elsewhere.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM

45,177 posts, read 57,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by federalist View Post
That depends what life stage you're in.

Charlotte is a terrific city if you're either married with kids, or nearing retirement. Great weather, a cost of housing that is about 50%+ lower than DC, lower taxes than the NE, less pricey car insurance (although the tax on real property offsets the reduction), good family-oriented neighborhoods, no traffic to speak off. What passes for rush hour is typically a 7 minute blip on I-66. Coming soon are Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. If the latest whatever is more your thing, Neiman's just opened and joins Belk's (terrific flag ship store), Nordstrom's and the usual cast of upscale brands at Southpark Mall.

That said, if you're single and over the age of 30 and below 60, Charlotte may be less your style. It depends whether you went to college either locally or at least somewhere in the South (bonus points for Appalachian State University, UNC, USC or Clemson), can answer to either the name of either Buffy or Bif, and know the meaning of the phrase "...why bless his/her heart....". Keep in mind that the locals tend to marry very young and it is not unusual to find people who are well into their second marriage by the age of 28, often with kids from two different spouses. Did someone say baggage? Finally, there is a reason why CLT is known as the Queen City. Hint: it has nothing to do with being the queen of hearts....

If you're nearing retirement, whether married or single, CLT is terrific. All of the positives plus many, many people from wherever you are from.

If you're from the NYC area, I'd try Ballantyne (28277) or the Lake Norman area. The Californians also go to Lake Norman in droves as well as elsewhere.

Writing this sort of drivel only makes YOU look bad, not the city of Charlotte.
I invite you to at least form you biased opinions on true facts and not those you pull out of mid-air:

Estimated median age at first marriage
Area Men Women
United States 26.7 25.1
Alabama 25.5 23.8
Alaska 25.7 22.8
Arizona 26.1 24.5
Arkansas 25.0 22.8
California 27.2 25.2
Colorado 26.4 24.4
Connecticut 28.9 26.4
Delaware 27.0 25.5
District of Columbia 30.1 29.9
Florida 27.1 25.2
Georgia 26.3 24.4
Hawaii 27.8 25.7
Idaho 24.6 22.8
Illinois 27.0 25.5
Indiana 26.1 24.4
Iowa 25.9 24.5
Kansas 25.5 24.4
Kentucky 25.3 22.8
Louisiana 26.0 24.8
Maine 26.6 25.6
Maryland 27.1 25.8
Massachusetts 29.1 27.4
Michigan 27.1 25.6
Minnesota 26.6 25.2
Mississippi 25.8 24.8
Missouri 25.8 24.7
Montana 26.2 24.5
Nebraska 26.0 24.4
Nevada 26.3 23.7
New Hampshire 27.2 25.7
New Jersey 28.6 26.4
New Mexico 25.9 24.4
New York 28.9 27.0
North Carolina 25.8 24.5
North Dakota 26.9 25.0
Ohio 26.6 25.2
Oklahoma 24.9 22.7
Oregon 26.6 24.6
Pennsylvania 27.6 25.9
Rhode Island 27.6 26.7
South Carolina 26.4 25.2
South Dakota 25.8 24.3
Tennessee 25.7 24.0
Texas 25.7 23.5
Utah 23.9 21.9
Vermont 27.8 25.9
Virginia 27.0 25.0
Washington 26.5 24.9
West Virginia 25.9 23.9
Wisconsin 26.9 25.5
Wyoming 25.7 23.3
Footnote:
"Note: For the median age estimates shown in this table, 0.1 years provides the margin of error for each median age at the 90-percen confidence interval."
"Source: U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey 2002-2003

Old 02-18-2007, 04:53 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,135,737 times
Default Well, I didn't think it was drivel

I guess we all have different experiences and see things differently. I didn't think the post was drivel at all, in fact it sounded like a pretty honest and fair evaluation... and reminded me a lot of my experience moving to Asheville about ten years ago.

Before I got the Asheville assignment, I was living in Redondo Beach, California. I was single and in my 30s, and so were most of the people I knew. It was easy to find a roommate my age (being single doesn't always mean you like living alone) and there were lots of activities geared for single young adults.

At the time, Asheville had similar statistics (people marrying in their late 20s) and it was supposed to be a hip place, so I thought I would meet a lot of other young people. Nope. Most people I met were either in committed relationships or were gay. Most people I met who were my age were married and into raising children--which is great, but it wasn't really interesting for me at the time. The only people who responded to my ad looking for a roomate were either under 22 or lesbians. Nothing against lesbians, either, but I wanted a friend to share activities with and I really wasn't too interested in any of the groups and activities mentioned by the people who answered my ad who also happened to be lesbian.

I liked living in Asheville very much, but I was relieved when I got transferred again and returned to a city with more young, single people. I would have enjoyed it much more if I was in a relationship or was either younger or older (retired). I always wanted to return to NC... but waited until now, when I am married. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but that's the reaction I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte