U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2007, 04:58 PM

45,155 posts, read 57,115,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I guess we all have different experiences and see things differently. I didn't think the post was drivel at all, in fact it sounded like a pretty honest and fair evaluation... and reminded me a lot of my experience moving to Asheville about ten years ago.

Before I got the Asheville assignment, I was living in Redondo Beach, California. I was single and in my 30s, and so were most of the people I knew. It was easy to find a roommate my age (being single doesn't always mean you like living alone) and there were lots of activities geared for single young adults.

At the time, Asheville had similar statistics (people marrying in their late 20s) and it was supposed to be a hip place, so I thought I would meet a lot of other young people. Nope. Most people I met were either in committed relationships or were gay. Most people I met who were my age were married and into raising children--which is great, but it wasn't really interesting for me at the time. The only people who responded to my ad looking for a roomate were either under 22 or lesbians. Nothing against lesbians, either, but I wanted a friend to share activities with and I really wasn't too interested in any of the groups and activities mentioned by the people who answered my ad who also happened to be lesbian.

I liked living in Asheville very much, but I was relieved when I got transferred again and returned to a city with more young, single people. I would have enjoyed it much more if I was in a relationship or was either younger or older (retired). I always wanted to return to NC... but waited until now, when I am married. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but that's the reaction I had.

"Keep in mind that the locals tend to marry very young and it is not unusual to find people who are well into their second marriage by the age of 28, often with kids from two different spouses. Did someone say baggage? Finally, there is a reason why CLT is known as the Queen City. Hint: it has nothing to do with being the queen of hearts...."

If this isn't drivel, I don't know what is.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM

7,175 posts, read 12,332,713 times
umm Good thing u didnt move to NJ....and well I wouldnt classify all OF CHARLOTTE that way we are moving to a beautiful upscale neighborhood like most coming in, I dont know where you lived but Im sorry for you, I guess you are lucky to be living there...

Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 PM

28 posts, read 33,703 times
Well here it goes - I moved here in November - in an effort to get out of south fla., the weather in Charlotte is outstanding - mostly sunny and dry, pretty scenic - hilly streets and beautiful georgian style homes, anywhere you go people are friendly - in the stores the customer service is wonderful, people go out of their way for you - now the downside for me (single woman) cannot get a job - very tight market - social scene is clicky, not much to do except shop - mountains 3 hours away - beach 2 hours away - nothing is close you travel for everything - I am now on my way out once again - not for me - but it is affordable in the real estate market and very pretty.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:53 PM

Hey Jersey - I am from the Jersey Shore - unfortunately left 20 years ago and I will always regret it - wish I could go back - now too late - but have fond memories.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM

I agree with you on all counts - it's very pretty here, weather great and nice people - nothing to do, travel for everything, job market very tight, social scene clicky - it is affordable still but what good is that if you cannot get a job - i find it a boring place - but at least I tried it.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM

I used to live in Brick - I agree that whole area is great - sorry I ever thought the grass was greener somewhere else - I miss the shore.....and you're right - it's safe compared to other places. The other thing about Jersey is people are 'real' they tell it like it is -

Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM

don't give up - there are places to go but every state has it's bad areas -

Old 03-04-2007, 06:05 PM

Ballantyne area or Lake Norman - Huntersville or Corneilius - all nice areas.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM

The Pizza Is Horrible Here - I Keep Searching, But No Luck - There Are A Few Good Italian Restaurants - But Nothing To Rave About...and No Italian Deli's Either.....whoever Opens One Will Make A Fortune - Just Harris Teeter And Lowes - Fresh Market Which Is Overpriced And The Veal Is Horrible.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 PM

45,155 posts, read 57,115,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeegirl View Post
The Pizza Is Horrible Here - I Keep Searching, But No Luck - There Are A Few Good Italian Restaurants - But Nothing To Rave About...and No Italian Deli's Either.....whoever Opens One Will Make A Fortune - Just Harris Teeter And Lowes - Fresh Market Which Is Overpriced And The Veal Is Horrible.
On the "Any Good Pizza..." thread a poster recently had this to say,

I would also steer you towards Palones Pizza at the Fountains on Ardrey Kell Road. It's been open about 3 months now and the pizza is awesome. I'm from Long Island and the owner is also. Pastries are excellent they have Sfiogatelle(sp?) and Rainbow Cookies like back home. Give them a try!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte