Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times

Advertisements

This is definetly true, just overturned it about 3 - 6 weeks ago. Try Union County Weekly paper.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 25,279 times
I didn't like Charlotte when I first moved here. There wasn't anything to do. I was bored. 8 years later, I have fallen inlove with the city, the natives, and can never see myself moving north again. I find that us transplant northeners need something to complain about, we're always in a rush to do nothing, and we're rude. Southern hospitality is abundant in Charlotte, you just have to lose that yankee attitude and you will be welcomed with open arms. Unlike anything I ever experienced up north! Neighbors care about one another, there is a strong sense of family values, churches on every corner instead of bars. It's a nice place to live and raise a family.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Default 100% right!

Carolina girl 4 life,

I agree 100%, us northerns can only ruin it for ourselves. You have to come with the mindset of change, and relaxing and taking it easy. Enjoy a converstation with someone, instead of rushing off to do the next thing on your list! It is easier for me because I am a more "laid-back" kind of person, where as my wife it is harder for, but she is adjusting and we both are realizing life is not all about money, things, and having your kids involved in 5 after school activities. Just go out and sit by a fire and cook marshmallows with your neighboors! Just my 2 cents!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:21 PM

39 posts, read 186,626 times
Default Is it really that bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuptown View Post
I love Charlotte - but my only real gripe is the crime. I lived in Westport CT before I lived here -- where the biggest crime was a teenager stealing gum from the Bridge Market.

I have had two brand new BMW's that had windows smashed out multiple ....
I'm getting ready to go to Charlotte to find an apartment. Reading about the crime is disturbing. Very disturbing. Do the police have foot patrols ? I understand that Charlotte is a big place but do the police concentrate efforts in areas that are densely populated ? Or is it every man/woman for themselves? I live in Brooklyn and I have NO FEAR whatsoever about going outside any time ( day or night). Also does anyone know if concealed gun permits are usually granted to regular citizens or if it's like in New York where you gotta know someone ?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggz View Post
I'm getting ready to go to Charlotte to find an apartment. Reading about the crime is disturbing. Very disturbing. Do the police have foot patrols ? I understand that Charlotte is a big place but do the police concentrate efforts in areas that are densely populated ? Or is it every man/woman for themselves? I live in Brooklyn and I have NO FEAR whatsoever about going outside any time ( day or night). Also does anyone know if concealed gun permits are usually granted to regular citizens or if it's like in New York where you gotta know someone ?
Charlotte has more crime than it ever used to, that's true. But we are no worse, and a lot better, than other cities similar in size. The Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department has many bicycle patrols in areas around uptown, malls, neighborhoods uptown. Our police department is well regarded and well run. You can get a concealed permit - takes about 3 months. You can go right to the Sheriff's department to apply or any gun shop you visit can submit the application for you. Don't be so nervous - Charlotte is really a nice town

Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
In general, I like Charlotte. I've been in this area my entire life. The farthest away from home I've ever lived was about 100 miles away when I went to college. I think I grow tired of the area sometimes, but in general, it's an okay place. One day I probably will leave the area. I'm one of those people who feels the need to make a major move every so often so I can expose myself to certain areas. Money and some commitments are keeping me from leaving. I wouldn't ever talk trash about the area if and when I leave, but I do see myself moving to DC or maybe Atlanta within the next 5 years.

I definitely see myself retiring and getting buried here since most of my family is here...hopefully I won't have to worry about that for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time--well, I'd retire early if I won the lottery, but I was talking about the dying part

Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
On the "Any Good Pizza..." thread a poster recently had this to say,

I would also steer you towards Palones Pizza at the Fountains on Ardrey Kell Road. It's been open about 3 months now and the pizza is awesome. I'm from Long Island and the owner is also. Pastries are excellent they have Sfiogatelle(sp?) and Rainbow Cookies like back home. Give them a try!!!
Long Island here too. BTW do they make potato and egg heroes?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl 4 Life View Post
I didn't like Charlotte when I first moved here. There wasn't anything to do. I was bored. 8 years later, I have fallen inlove with the city, the natives, and can never see myself moving north again. I find that us transplant northeners need something to complain about, we're always in a rush to do nothing, and we're rude. Southern hospitality is abundant in Charlotte, you just have to lose that yankee attitude and you will be welcomed with open arms. Unlike anything I ever experienced up north! Neighbors care about one another, there is a strong sense of family values, churches on every corner instead of bars. It's a nice place to live and raise a family.

I agree I'm really starting to feel that here.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:06 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by federalist View Post
That depends what life stage you're in.

Charlotte is a terrific city if you're either married with kids, or nearing retirement. Great weather, a cost of housing that is about 50%+ lower than DC, lower taxes than the NE, less pricey car insurance (although the tax on real property offsets the reduction), good family-oriented neighborhoods, no traffic to speak off. What passes for rush hour is typically a 7 minute blip on I-66. Coming soon are Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. If the latest whatever is more your thing, Neiman's just opened and joins Belk's (terrific flag ship store), Nordstrom's and the usual cast of upscale brands at Southpark Mall.

That said, if you're single and over the age of 30 and below 60, Charlotte may be less your style. It depends whether you went to college either locally or at least somewhere in the South (bonus points for Appalachian State University, UNC, USC or Clemson), can answer to either the name of either Buffy or Bif, and know the meaning of the phrase "...why bless his/her heart....". Keep in mind that the locals tend to marry very young and it is not unusual to find people who are well into their second marriage by the age of 28, often with kids from two different spouses. Did someone say baggage? Finally, there is a reason why CLT is known as the Queen City. Hint: it has nothing to do with being the queen of hearts....

If you're nearing retirement, whether married or single, CLT is terrific. All of the positives plus many, many people from wherever you are from.

If you're from the NYC area, I'd try Ballantyne (28277) or the Lake Norman area. The Californians also go to Lake Norman in droves as well as elsewhere.

If I was single in my 20's or early 30's I'd have a field day downtown. Since I am happily married the young cute banker types are off limits to me

Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
Fuel pizza is good...I dont remember how to get there...but look it up. I am from NY and lived in Charlotte for 1 year. It is on one of the main road heading out of downtown east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte