U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 PM

421 posts, read 257,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
yes its very safe here in Freehold NJ always go to the mall by myself or target and night or walmart
Crime is very very low here that is the ONLY good thing about where I live in NJ.......lol

You should never feel safe, even if you feel safe

Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times
Quote:
yes its very safe here in Freehold NJ always go to the mall by myself or target and night or walmart
Crime is very very low here that is the ONLY good thing about where I live in NJ.......lol
Seriously, not trying to start an arguement but, I know people who live in Freehold Township who would quickly disagree with you. And these are people living in $600K + homes. Freehold certainly isn't what it used to be. It's no slum (well now even that depends on where we're talking about) but it's certainly no utopia.

SL

PS

I grew up in Howell, so I do know the area.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:19 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,751,702 times
I've seen this question asked directly/indirectly for almost a year now. There is a single theme that's common among those that ended up not being happy in Charlotte or NC in general. That theme is "my housing costs will be cheaper...". When asked what are some of the other reasons, way to much thought has to be given, or, there just aren't any. If housing is the only reason, then it becomes study in random probability theory if the other aspects of the area will become favorable to you.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:52 AM

25 posts, read 19,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
The malls will are fine. Plus they are not downtown.
I have been here less then a year and don't watch the news nightly, but during the times I have watched the news I have seen a gunpoint robbery in the Carolina Place Mall parking lot, a gunpoint robbery in the South Park Mall parking lot, a gunpoint robbery in the Concord Mills Mall parking lot, and a gang fight in the Carolina Place Mall food court.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,977 times
Default gosh...scared

I live outside of philly now and things like this don't happen. I am scared to move to union county now. I go to the malls all the time and all hours and no one is robbed. I have a very nice car and now have to worry about someone smashing in the windows. Does stuff like this happen in the suburb communitites? If we want to go out in the city at night like we do here where should we avoid? I a little nervous b/c we have some really nice stuff and gosh I hope we don't look like targets.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:32 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
freehold twp is very desirable I wouldnt go into the boro at night by myself but the area around the mall is very nice and I sell a Ton of Freehold and Howell...and I go shopping at night for years here and it totally safe....I dont know how long you have been out of howell but these areas have changed, and a ton of shopping, so I disagree with you...MJ I agree with you also, I go out all the time to shop and with hearing all this crime..eeshhhhh

Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times
Quote:
freehold twp is very desirable I wouldnt go into the boro at night by myself but the area around the mall is very nice and I sell a Ton of Freehold and Howell...and I go shopping at night for years here and it totally safe....I dont know how long you have been out of howell but these areas have changed, and a ton of shopping, so I disagree with you...MJ I agree with you also, I go out all the time to shop and with hearing all this crime..eeshhhhh
My mother's home was at Spruce Hollow Drive in Howell. She just died this past Februray. I'd consider it a desirable area. Of course, you're free to disagree.

I seem to recall Freehold is the same township that is lobbying heavily to keep day laborers out of the community. In fact, the politics surrounding the perceived problem are very emotionally charged, as township residents view them as undesirables and place blame on this population for an increase in crime in the area. I've driven through Freehold and seen storefronts with 100s of day laborers in the early morning hours, waiting for contractors and such, to come select them for daily work assignments.

The point is, I think people need to accept a level of responsiblity for their own safety. Do I think Freehold and Howell are safe places to raise a family? I sure do. Is there no crime? I beg to differ.

While there are areas that are more dangerous than others, why make yourself a target by engaging in unsafe practices? I don't consider a female shopping, alone, at night, safe in any mall. Don't fool yourself into thinking that there is such a thing as crime-free areas. No place is immune from crime. And those who bury their heads in the sand about it, are the easiest targets. Predators spot them from miles away.

And again, with the holidays here, crimes in places like shopping centers tend to rise. The bad guys know that people are out shopping, generally with lots of cash or newly purchased valuables in their possession and overall, the excitement of the season results in a lot of inattentiveness to one's surroundings.

It's within your right to shy away from Meck or Union Counties because of reported levels of crime that take you out of your comfort zone. Better to be informed than to make a purchase and regret it.

SL

Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 13,180 times
I think it's important to keep it in perspective. Considering the population explosion, and the large area the malls in Charlotte serve, the odds of being the victim of a 'hold up' at a mall are really quite low.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:34 PM

25 posts, read 19,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily_B View Post
I think it's important to keep it in perspective. Considering the population explosion, and the large area the malls in Charlotte serve, the odds of being the victim of a 'hold up' at a mall are really quite low.
There is also the perspective of it not happening even once that I can remember in well over 25 years living in a different metro area in the north with more than double the population. I never saw a grocery store needing a guy with a gun to guard the door until I moved to Charlotte. Crime in the Charlotte area is just crazy. I will be leaving early next year for somewhere that I can feel safe walking alone at night.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLZ View Post
There is also the perspective of it not happening even once that I can remember in well over 25 years living in a different metro area in the north with more than double the population. I never saw a grocery store needing a guy with a gun to guard the door until I moved to Charlotte. Crime in the Charlotte area is just crazy. I will be leaving early next year for somewhere that I can feel safe walking alone at night.
Your vision of Charlotte is different than mine then. Plus the security guard is 99% sure not to have a gun. Maybe pepper spray. or one of those little sticks. They are only there incase someone tries to steal from the store. I feel safe in Charlotte even when I am driving around the not so safe areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or